Judge orders child's name changed from Messiah

why cant people just nane their kid what they want and it be ok?
their kid might grow to hate them, but it is their choice!

Messiah is not a name.
It's a Title.
Why would any parent do that to their own child?
Why would a parent want their child to be constantly beaten up and ridiculed, or maybe even killed over a Title and not a real name?
It's very offensive to the Christian religion.
I'm not saying that it would be Christians who would do such a thing.
I'm saying that this might happen to him for those who hate Christianity.
Christians are being hatted all around the world right now, and they are being killed for being Christian.
Now is not a good time to name your child after Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Messiah is not a name.
It's a Title.
Why would a parent want their child to be constantly beaten up and ridiculed, or maybe even killed over a Title and not a real name?
Christians are being hatted all around the world right now, and they are being killed for being Christian.

Sarah means princess in Hebrew. That's a title. So should all Sarah's have their names forcibly changed because it is a title?

The judge in Cocke County said the name Messiah could cause the boy difficulties if he grew up in such a predominantly Christian area.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Judge Ballew said.

Instead she ordered that the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge added.

The baby's mother Jaleesa Martin told WBIR she would appeal against the judge's order.

:lol:

Somebody needs to have a sense of humor grafted to their judicial robes.

Clearly this judge takes herself way to seriously.

More to the point she has also seriously overstepped her authority.

Messiah is not a name.
It's a Title.
Christians are being hated all around the world right now, and they are being killed for being Christian.

Sarah means princess in Hebrew. That's a title. So should all Sarah's have their names forcibly changed because it is a title?

No it is not a title.
Princess Sarah would be a title. It would be Princess, the Princess
Messiah means anointed in Hebrew and is used by a King or Priest. It would be Anointed King.

Tempest in a teacup.

The judges rulling will be overturned.

More to the point, anyone is pretty much free to change theri own name legally or simply by using another. I did not know until her death that my mother's name was really Grace, not Marie. She simply never used Grace. I, too, shortened my given name 55 years ago, and no one but my family, the IRS, and SS knows it.

When parents give their children strange names, it causes the children too much misery. Perhaps the worst case was Tallulah Does The Hula In Hawaii, which was a girl's legal name. After living all of her eleven years hiding from her name, a judge finally gave her leave to change it. Too bad she had to suffer taunts and teasing for all those years.

So...in your world, how many different names could parents choose from? Ten? Thirty? I have known people with "strange" names...I have known Rufus, Elvis, Immacula, Nevada, Tremayne, Ariannah, Siobahn, and went to school with a girl named Tallulah. (She was named after actress Tallulah Bankhead, and universally went by "Tee".)

Forum List

Back