Jobless claims fall to the lowest level in 4 years

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Claims for jobless benefits last week dropped to the lowest level in almost four years, pointing to an improvement in the U.S. job market that may help bolster spending in the new year.

Applications (INJCJC) for unemployment insurance payments plunged by 50,000 to 352,000 in the week ended Jan. 14, less than forecast and the fewest since April 2008, according to data from the Labor Department issued today in Washington. Other reports showed consumer prices were little changed in December for a second month and builders started work on the most single-family houses in more than a year.

Jobless claims, which tend to be volatile week to week around holidays, have trended down over the past month, a sign employment may pick up after payrolls grew by 200,000 in December. Gains in incomes, combined with less inflation, will probably underpin household spending, which accounts for about 70 percent of the world’s largest economy.

Four-Year Low in U.S. Jobless Claims May Bolster Spending in 2012: Economy - Bloomberg

Last edited:
You do realize that just because people stop collecting unemployment doesnt mean they are employed.

You do realize that just because people stop collecting unemployment doesnt mean they are employed.

So when people retire or die we should count them as unemployed?

Retired people don't count against the UE number we're most familiar with, but they do count against the U-6, I think. Dead people don't count for unemployment at all, but they do count as democratic voters. Absentee ballots I suspect.

As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of people who stop collecting unemployment checks and give up looking for work. I think they're called discouraged workers, or something like that. That's one reason why the participation rate is trending down, so many people gave up hope. And you're thrilled about fewer people who started collecting UE. Congrats, let's have a party.

Claims for jobless benefits last week dropped to the lowest level in almost four years, pointing to an improvement in the U.S. job market that may help bolster spending in the new year.

Applications (INJCJC) for unemployment insurance payments plunged by 50,000 to 352,000 in the week ended Jan. 14, less than forecast and the fewest since April 2008, according to data from the Labor Department issued today in Washington. Other reports showed consumer prices were little changed in December for a second month and builders started work on the most single-family houses in more than a year.

Jobless claims, which tend to be volatile week to week around holidays, have trended down over the past month, a sign employment may pick up after payrolls grew by 200,000 in December. Gains in incomes, combined with less inflation, will probably underpin household spending, which accounts for about 70 percent of the world’s largest economy.

Four-Year Low in U.S. Jobless Claims May Bolster Spending in 2012: Economy - Bloomberg

Good news, Though Many Experts see a down turn for the whole world Economy in the coming months, so I doubt Unemployment will be Below 8% before NOV. I don't Personally Credit Much of What Obama has done for it, Indeed I think many of his Policies have slowed the Recovery, But I would never sit here and Hope for Bad numbers just to get rid of Obama.

I sincerely Hope this trend Continues and intensifies.

um, No. But when people run out of Benefits but still can not find a Job, They should be counted. I hope you can agree with that. In this Recession Many People have exhausted their Benefits and Dropped of the rolls, Much more than Usual, and it is giving us a very skewed Number. You can easily add another 2% to the Official Number just by counting the 99 weekers, Add the Millions that are under employed in part time, or Much lower Paying than they are used to Jobs, and you have a number north of 12% still.

I mean Can you not agree we should count everyone, and not just those who are getting Benefits right now?

Again no, but we should not give Obama Credit for Dropping the Unemployment Numbers when so many People are just running out of Benefits, or Choosing to Retire Early. The Participation rate is at an all time low. That's a fact, and it's not something to celebrate.

Good news, Though Many Experts see a down turn for the whole world Economy in the coming months, so I doubt Unemployment will be Below 8% before NOV. I don't Personally Credit Much of What Obama has done for it, Indeed I think many of his Policies have slowed the Recovery, But I would never sit here and Hope for Bad numbers just to get rid of Obama.

I sincerely Hope this trend Continues and intensifies.

It will.

And Obama will win re-election.

Deservedly so.

Retired people don't count against the UE number we're most familiar with, but they do count against the U-6, I think. Dead people don't count for unemployment at all, but they do count as democratic voters. Absentee ballots I suspect.

As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of people who stop collecting unemployment checks and give up looking for work. I think they're called discouraged workers, or something like that. That's one reason why the participation rate is trending down, so many people gave up hope. And you're thrilled about fewer people who started collecting UE. Congrats, let's have a party.

I am looking forward to the numbers in February, that will show a more accurate reality, for January.

I am looking forward to the numbers in February, that will show a more accurate reality, for January.

I am looking forward to the numbers in June.

Obama is the Democrats Reagan.

Great news. More jobs have already been created under Obama in three years than in Bush, Jr's. eight years.

I don't think discouraged workers necessarily stop collecting unemployment checks when they stop looking for work. If they're not looking for work, that's when they need the unemployment check the most.

Forum List

Back