Jews and Muslims reject Christianity, Not American ideals?

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
I knew there would come a time that I would ask myself this question. I avoided it for years. The Hindus, Buddhists and a couple thousand more religions feel much the same about us, Christians. Is it from God or Man? Is it purpose and meaning of life or is it just political? After a couple thousand years of almost constant war and still no definitive answer, I doubt that anything I say here might change that. But I wonder?

Christianity, in its true form, is a faith and a way of life. It defines who we are and what our purpose is on this planet, as well as how to treat others.

However, like many other religions before it, Christianity has often been used by the morally bankrupt to further a political goal. Christianity is not the evil. The evil is those who take that name in vain.

When God reveals His religion its always true and pure. However, throughout history man has always turned away from it eventually corrupting its precepts.

As a Buddhist, I reject many Christian beliefs. This does not, however, mean I reject Christians. I also do not reject Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Wiccaans, other Buddhists sects from my own or any other religious group simply because I do not subscribe to their particular teachings. It is possible to co-exist peacefully, most of us do on a daily basis. It is not Carrie Christian, Jerry Jew, Harry Hindu, Mary Muslim, or Barry Buddhist that is the problem. It is the extremist factions within these religions that seek to use violence and death as a way to "cleanse" the world in the name of whatever their particular deity is. This apocalyptic view of the world leads them to believe the only way to make a perfect world is to destroy the one we have and start all over again. This is true of terrorists from Osama Bin Laden to the sect in Japan that set the nerve gas in the subway.

I think we often forget how much in common the world's major religions have.

acludem

I agree. It is possible to coexist peacefully as long as one group doesnt want to wipe the other off the map. then its impossible.

Is it true that if you don't accept Jesus as your saviour, you will go to hell?

Originally posted by acludem
It is the extremist factions within these religions that seek to use violence and death as a way to "cleanse" the world in the name of whatever their particular deity is. This apocalyptic view of the world leads them to believe the only way to make a perfect world is to destroy the one we have and start all over again. This is true of terrorists from Osama Bin Laden to the sect in Japan that set the nerve gas in the subway.

I think we often forget how much in common the world's major religions have.

acludem

As I have said elsewhere, when the text (in context) says to kill unbelievers and that you are only assured paradise by doing so, THAT is normal, not extremism. There is no room for interpretation. This is the doctrine. Follow it and you are a believer....Don't, and you compromise.

This is Islam. Read the koran. There is nothing "extreme" about this statement. It is their normal doctrine. If they DON'T follow it, they are the deviants.

Never claim to know another religion until you read their text.

Originally posted by Big D
Is it true that if you don't accept Jesus as your saviour, you will go to hell?
It is true that if you do not accept Him as your Lord and Savior, you will be seperated from Him for all eternity and burn in the lake of fire for all eternity.

That is just a little longer and a bit more painful that 120 years of migraine headaches.

Originally posted by NewGuy
It is true that if you do not accept Him as your Lord and Savior, you will be seperated from Him for all eternity and burn in the lake of fire for all eternity.

That is just a little longer and a bit more painful that 120 years of migraine headaches.
Glad I'm Jewish.

Originally posted by NewGuy
And what does that have to do with it?
It seems to me that Jesus wants respect by threating others, maybe thats why WE put his ass up on that cross in the first place, my God is about love.

It seems to me that Jesus wants respect by threating others, maybe thats why WE put his ass up on that cross in the first place, my God is about love.

Ok. I will go down this path.

Threatening others....Are you refering to my behavior? It is far easier to have a conversation if you give detailed points of view.

Who is your god, and what type of love?

The Bible has a parable for this viewpoint, as well. All the background information you need is that royal weddings in those days provided wedding garments for all who needed them.

This is taken from Matthew 22:1-14 NKJV

And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables and said: "The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his son, and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they were not willing to come. Again, he sent out other servants, saying, saying, 'Tell those who are invited, "See, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatted cattle are killed, and all things are ready. Come to the wedding."' But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his business. And the rest seized his servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them. But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. The he said to his servants, 'The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding.' So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.
"But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. So he said to him, 'Firend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?' And he was speechless. Then the king said to the servants, 'bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into the outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
"For many are called, but few are chosen."

You see, God does not send people to Hell. Instead, we are all heading there from the get go. However, God has invited us to join him in his kingdom. Well, for whatever reasons, many people refuse this invitation, and it's their own fault when they realize what kind of mistake they made. About the only way God could ensure more people got into Heaven is to force people to follow Jesus, but we have been given free will, instead.

Originally posted by Hobbit
Christianity, in its true form, is a faith and a way of life. It defines who we are and what our purpose is on this planet, as well as how to treat others.

However, like many other religions before it, Christianity has often been used by the morally bankrupt to further a political goal. Christianity is not the evil. The evil is those who take that name in vain.

Agreed...! Wholeheartedly...!

You really are a sick fuck.

I would make the same argument about Islam that Hobbit made about Christianity.

It is utterly unfair to pull one sentence out of a holy text and say it represents the entire religion. If we did this with Christianity, we could pull out a sentence in which someone in the bible owned slaves and say that all Christians support slavery.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
I would make the same argument about Islam that Hobbit made about Christianity.

It is utterly unfair to pull one sentence out of a holy text and say it represents the entire religion.

If you can prove the koran the word of God, then it is Holy. Otherwise, it is just a book with no authority or validity in such things. Would you like to try?

If we did this with Christianity, we could pull out a sentence in which someone in the bible owned slaves and say that all Christians support slavery.

acludem

Only if you are incapable of taking things in context. -Like the US Constitution, for example.

The Koran is holy to Muslims, just as the Bible is holy to you. I don't practice either Islam or Christianity so both the Koran and the Bible to me are just books.

And you were the one taking words out of context, that what I was pointing out.

acludem

Forum List

Back