Jews and Muslims reject Christianity, Not American ideals?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Psychoblues, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I knew there would come a time that I would ask myself this question. I avoided it for years. The Hindus, Buddhists and a couple thousand more religions feel much the same about us, Christians. Is it from God or Man? Is it purpose and meaning of life or is it just political? After a couple thousand years of almost constant war and still no definitive answer, I doubt that anything I say here might change that. But I wonder?

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Christianity, in its true form, is a faith and a way of life. It defines who we are and what our purpose is on this planet, as well as how to treat others.

However, like many other religions before it, Christianity has often been used by the morally bankrupt to further a political goal. Christianity is not the evil. The evil is those who take that name in vain.

3. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Agreed, completely agreed, Hobbit.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    When God reveals His religion its always true and pure. However, throughout history man has always turned away from it eventually corrupting its precepts.

5. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    As a Buddhist, I reject many Christian beliefs. This does not, however, mean I reject Christians. I also do not reject Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Wiccaans, other Buddhists sects from my own or any other religious group simply because I do not subscribe to their particular teachings. It is possible to co-exist peacefully, most of us do on a daily basis. It is not Carrie Christian, Jerry Jew, Harry Hindu, Mary Muslim, or Barry Buddhist that is the problem. It is the extremist factions within these religions that seek to use violence and death as a way to "cleanse" the world in the name of whatever their particular deity is. This apocalyptic view of the world leads them to believe the only way to make a perfect world is to destroy the one we have and start all over again. This is true of terrorists from Osama Bin Laden to the sect in Japan that set the nerve gas in the subway.

I think we often forget how much in common the world's major religions have.

acludem

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I agree. It is possible to coexist peacefully as long as one group doesnt want to wipe the other off the map. then its impossible.

7. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it true that if you don't accept Jesus as your saviour, you will go to hell?

8. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    As I have said elsewhere, when the text (in context) says to kill unbelievers and that you are only assured paradise by doing so, THAT is normal, not extremism. There is no room for interpretation. This is the doctrine. Follow it and you are a believer....Don't, and you compromise.

This is Islam. Read the koran. There is nothing "extreme" about this statement. It is their normal doctrine. If they DON'T follow it, they are the deviants.

Never claim to know another religion until you read their text.

9. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It is true that if you do not accept Him as your Lord and Savior, you will be seperated from Him for all eternity and burn in the lake of fire for all eternity.

That is just a little longer and a bit more painful that 120 years of migraine headaches.

10. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Glad I'm Jewish.