Jews and Christians Dan 7;25

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
The second half of the verse seems to indicate attempted time travel. Calvin's reading on the verse, as copy editor of the French bible, was:

That the Man of sorrows/anti-Christ would attempt to use time travel to change the end times but fails

Anything counter scriptural in his sending people back in time and failing to achieve a change his desired results. I thought it this would make an interesting series/game. Any theological problems?

That the Man of sorrows/anti-Christ would attempt to use time travel to change the end times but fails

Anything counter scriptural in his sending people back in time and failing to achieve a change his desired results. I thought it this would make an interesting series/game. Any theological problems?
This is not a proper interpretation of Daniel 7:25. The reference is to Antiochus IV and his persecution of the Jews that took place a roughly a century and a half before Christ.

The second half of the verse seems to indicate attempted time travel. Calvin's reading on the verse, as copy editor of the French bible, was:

I mean, you can interpret it however the hell you want to. That's what everyone does.

I mean, you can interpret it however the hell you want to. That's what everyone does.
People should keep in mind that mathematical equations can also be "solved" any which way. However, there is a proper procedure, accepted by mathematicians, as how to go about solving an equation. Likewise, "interpretation" of scripture can be any wild guess or opinion, or people can take the scholarly approach and go back to the source--the original time, the original language, the original audience.

People should keep in mind that mathematical equations can also be "solved" any which way. However, there is a proper procedure, accepted by mathematicians, as how to go about solving an equation. Likewise, "interpretation" of scripture can be any wild guess or opinion, or people can take the scholarly approach and go back to the source--the original time, the original language, the original audience.
Tell me how 1+1 can be "solved any which way"

This is not a proper interpretation of Daniel 7:25. The reference is to Antiochus IV and his persecution of the Jews that took place a roughly a century and a half before Christ.

Daniel was written in two parts, possibly hundreds of years apart, and in two languages. The first part is Chapters 1-6, the second part is Chapters7 -12, the Apocalypses, and were written during the Maccabbees period, probably around 163 B.C. 'Changing the times' phrase doesn't mean time travel, it means cultural and political changes.

Chapters 1-6 are stories of Jewish heroism allegedly taking place in the late 7th century and 6th Century B.C. It's one of two books that contain a lot of writing in the Aramaic language, 2:4 to end of Chapter 7, and straddles the division by form and content. it's a candidate for being the last book written in the OT. As with many books of the bible, there probably was no actual 'Daniel' for whom the book is named for, he's a composite of many stories and different writers.

there are other Jewish writings about Daniel from the period, but aren't considered as 'canon' re the OT, referred to as the 'Additions To Daniel' in apocryphal literature.

Ezra also has a notable amount of Aramaic writing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back