Zone1 Jesus Tempted By The Devil / Satan

No it doesn't. I'm personally not big on the supernatural. If you talk about feeding the five thousand with a few loaves, I'm thinking spiritual food in the preaching.

If God isn't "supernatural" He could not have raised Jesus from the dead.

You must believe in the rapture. The kingdom is spiritual and much of the writing is figurative and symbolic.

Apocalyptic literature was very popular from about 300 BC through 100 AD.

Everybody had an Apocalypse story.

I prefer to take Jesus at His Word.

Revelation 1:7–8
Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail on account of him. Even so. Amen. ‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, ‘who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.’

There are several passages of Scripture that prove that Satan is a real and present danger. He beguiled Eve in the Garden at the time of man's creation (some claiming and believing that he was the father of Cain). He tempted the Old Testament Patriarch, Job, and caused great affliction. He deceived King David. And he sifted Peter like wheat. He was (and is) so bold that he even tempted Jesus Christ after Christ's 40 days of fasting.

How do we, as Christians, protect ourselves from Satan? Firstly, we learn from Jesus, Himself. As Satan tempted Him with great riches and power, Christ rebuked him using the “written” Word of God. Three times, Christ said, “it is written.” Secondly, we put our faith in Christ and don the full gospel armor. Christ is our shield and our buckler. Thirdly, we understand the nature of Satan, that great serpent the devil. He's called a liar, a murderer, a thief, and a roaring lion seeking someone to devour. But he's also a master deceiver who can appear as “an angel of light.”

James 4 tells us to “resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
That's an intriguing story. Jesus was alone in the wilderness but somehow we know the dialogue between him and the Devil. They even put it in quotation marks. Very confusing.

Didn't he? His kingdom is spiritual. Are you looking for the rapture?
Jesus is the Word, did He lie?

Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail on account of him. Even so. Amen. ‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, ‘who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.’

I prefer to take Jesus at His Word.

Jesus said it would happen soon within a generation.

So Revelation is lying?
It was written to the 7 churches of the first century. I'm sure they understood it perfectly. Perhaps if you study first century history and the reign of Antiochus Epiphanes that preceded it you would come closer to understanding it.

Jesus said it would happen soon within a generation.

When did this happen?

1 Thessalonians 4:16–17
For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

It was written to the 7 churches of the first century. I'm sure they understood it perfectly. Perhaps if you study first century history and the reign of Antiochus Epiphanes that preceded it you would come closer to understanding it.

You are deflecting and trying to rationalize your belief system. It hasn't happened yet but it will. The Word itself proves you wrong and that's why you deny it's power.

There are several passages of Scripture that prove that Satan is a real and present danger. He beguiled Eve in the Garden at the time of man's creation (some claiming and believing that he was the father of Cain). He tempted the Old Testament Patriarch, Job, and caused great affliction. He deceived King David. And he sifted Peter like wheat. He was (and is) so bold that he even tempted Jesus Christ after Christ's 40 days of fasting.

How do we, as Christians, protect ourselves from Satan? Firstly, we learn from Jesus, Himself. As Satan tempted Him with great riches and power, Christ rebuked him using the “written” Word of God. Three times, Christ said, “it is written.” Secondly, we put our faith in Christ and don the full gospel armor. Christ is our shield and our buckler. Thirdly, we understand the nature of Satan, that great serpent the devil. He's called a liar, a murderer, a thief, and a roaring lion seeking someone to devour. But he's also a master deceiver who can appear as “an angel of light.”

James 4 tells us to “resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”

I agree w/ everything here except that if you were to take those scripture psgs absolutely literally (some take all scrpture literally.. I do not) you'd have to say that.. well, at the time of Jesus, all there was was the OLD Testament. The New wasn't put together until LONG after Jesus was gone from Earth. So yeh... quote scripture at the devil, but you can't just quote the ones Jesus was referring to bc they are from the Old Testament. I guess they would still work.. but anyhow

Also, Jesus knew the New T would some day be written. Still...

Lucifer was among the morning stars who lived in the presence of God the Father and his son Jesus Christ. He saw the glory of the Father and desired to be like him along with all the other spirit children of the Father. When the Father presented a plan for all of us to become more like the Father by coming to a fallen world, having our memory of our premortal existence removed, and maintaining our free will to choose good over evil. When Lucifer heard the plan of the Father, he thought to device his own plan which included taking away the free will of mankind. He presented his plan before the Father but the Father rejected his plan. This made Lucifer angry. He felt that his plan was better and sought to usurp the authority of God by starting a war in heaven by trying to lead away other children of God from following God's plan The Father rejected Lucifer's plan because it was important that for man to progress and become more like the Father, they need to choose to be good beings of their own free will and volition.

I've never heard this story-- not from Scripture OR Church teaching, so I'm not buying it.

If Jesus appears before me in an indisputably tangible way and says it is indeed true... well, I would question if that were a vision of Jesus or ... just a hoax from the Deceiver

I agree w/ everything here except that if you were to take those scripture psgs absolutely literally (some take all scrpture literally.. I do not) you'd have to say that.. well, at the time of Jesus, all there was was the OLD Testament. The New wasn't put together until LONG after Jesus was gone from Earth. So yeh... quote scripture at the devil, but you can't just quote the ones Jesus was referring to bc they are from the Old Testament. I guess they would still work.. but anyhow

Also, Jesus knew the New T would some day be written. Still...
I take the entire Bible literally with the understanding that much of it is spoken in parables or metaphors or allegory. For instance: Christ speaks of the "seed sower." I can certainly take a passage about a "seed sower" literally but, more important is the message behind it. That is, a "seed sower" is someone who spreads the Gospel message.

The Bible says that all scripture is God inspired (both Old and New Testaments):

2 Timothy 3:16, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

I take the entire Bible literally with the understanding that much of it is spoken in parables or metaphors or allegory. For instance: Christ speaks of the "seed sower." I can certainly take a passage about a "seed sower" literally but, more important is the message behind it. That is, a "seed sower" is someone who spreads the Gospel message.

The Bible says that all scripture is God inspired (both Old and New Testaments):

2 Timothy 3:16, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

But nowhere in scripture does it say that all that is needed by a follower of Christ is scripture

If that were true, Jesus would not have said this (found in Scipture.. Mt 16:18)

"I will build My Church..."

("and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it")

Jesus established a CHURCH long before the New Testament was even thought of

But nowhere in scripture does it say that all that is needed by a follower of Christ is scripture

If that were true, Jesus would not have said this (found in Scipture.. Mt 16:18)

"I will build My Church..."

("and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it")

Jesus established a CHURCH long before the New Testament was even thought of
The Church would not exist if not for Christ; His Gospel message; and the rest of Scripture. The word "church" literally means "congregation." The Bible says that where two or three are gathered together there He is in the midst of them. So I can drive down the road on Tuesday or Friday or any day of the week with 1 or 2 other Christians in the car and if we're discussing Christ -- we're at Church.

When did this happen?

1 Thessalonians 4:16–17
For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.
They were concerned that those who died waiting might not have eternal life. This is just reassurance. It's not literal. Do you know what didactic literature is? Do you understand poetry or metaphor?

The Church would not exist if not for Christ; His Gospel message; and the rest of Scripture. The word "church" literally means "congregation." The Bible says that where two or three are gathered together there He is in the midst of them. So I can drive down the road on Tuesday or Friday or any day of the week with 1 or 2 other Christians in the car and if we're discussing Christ -- we're at Church.
Jesus founded a VISIBLE Church

"A city on a hill cannot be hidden"

then there's the scripture about how one should not hide one's light under a bushel basket

and etc... etc

You believe the bad press against the Catholic Church, but that's because of all the lies abounding in society .. and as per usual, I refer to the REAL Catholic Church, not the Vatican sect. If you are against THAT group, you are on the right track, certainly

Jesus founded a VISIBLE Church

"A city on a hill cannot be hidden"

then there's the scripture about how one should not hide one's light under a bushel basket

and etc... etc

You believe the bad press against the Catholic Church, but that's because of all the lies abounding in society .. and as per usual, I refer to the REAL Catholic Church, not the Vatican sect. If you are against THAT group, you are on the right track, certainly
Yup. Two or three people gathered in His name are "visible" as opposed to "invisible."

As for the Catholic Church, they agreed to put Pope Francis in charge of things, and he's proven to be a globalist shill. Sad but true.

Yup. Two or three people gathered in His name are "visible" as opposed to "invisible."

As for the Catholic Church, they agreed to put Pope Francis in charge of things, and he's proven to be a globalist shill. Sad but true.
You're an authority? Globalism has been with us since the Bronze Age.

Forum List

Back