Jesus' dishonorable behavior toward his mother

Are you talking about
Matthew 12:46-50New International Version (NIV)
Jesus’ Mother and BrothersA)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23536A" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.9em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;">
46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his motherB)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23536B" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> and brothersC)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23536C" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heavenD)" data-cr="#cen-NIV-23540D" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; position: relative; vertical-align: top; top: 0px;"> is my brother and sister and mother.”
Could you please clean this up? I'm genuinely interested in this thread.

Thanking you in advance I remain sincerely yours,

MISTER Mr. H.

How is what he said to her in John 2:4 dishonorable?

Addressing your mother as "Woman," and then being a prophet and saying, "What have I to do with thee?" is very very very dishonorable to me.

-

You DO understand that how you react to things in the 21st century is a lot different than how people reacted in the 1st century right?

I have to say Anonymous....until recently I saw you as someone searching for a path. I am starting to view you as someone who just wants to argue. If you are the former I am happy to contribute to the degree I can. If it's the latter I am starting to become bored with your routine.

If you want to learn, I and others will be happy to teach, but if all you want to do is throw out "gotcha questions" like NBC in a presidential debate, I am not sure what the point is

You're going on ignore Blue.

Peace.

-

So if Jesus in the Bible behaved dishonorably toward his mother Mary, and dishonoring your mother is against the Mosaic law, did Jesus break that law...?

-
You mean if YOU perceive that his actions broke the law does that mean that he necessarily did. The answer is of course, no.

Wasn't the question but I heard what you said.

-

The words "Woman what have I to do with thee?" immediately come to mind but you can read all of the Gospels for yourself.

Let's start with a more accurate translation: "Woman, how does this concern of yours affect me?"

First, "Woman" was a term of respect, kind of like "Ma'am" would be today. However, some scholars point out that John may have had another point in mind with his Gospel. They point out that the first chapters in John seem to parallel the story of creation in God's new creation. John's purpose in using the word "Woman" is that in the new creation, Jesus is the original obedient man--and Mary is the obedient woman.

Lol sure, sure...what was being said is pretty clear to me, but anyway, being a prophet and saying to your mother, "What have I to do with thee?" is obviously showing dishonor.

-

In a 21st century perspective yes. In a 1st century perspective no. Jesus, dude. Look...take some time and start learning about ancient cultures. People in the 1st century didn't think the way we do today. The rules were different and one will totally misunderstand if they ignore what is known as the "Sitz Im Leben" or "setting in life". Google it and learn. You are trying to understand 1st century writings through the filter of a 21st century mind...and in that sense it is not surprising that you are misunderstanding. You are not recognizing the Sitz Im Leben of what you are reading. Your are taking it totally out of context literally and culturally.

Blue tolerated you longer than me...you are not interested in learning anything. I have no use for that sort of ignorance

He is on his last gasp. I have tried to explain but I am starting to conclude that he doesn't want to learn and grow. He wants to fight. I am not interested in that.

I am just about done here

Blue tolerated you longer than me...you are not interested in learning anything. I have no use for that sort of ignorance

LOLOLOLOLOL.

NOT smart girl, YOU'RE going on ignore LOL.

-

You are going to put her on ignore because she correctly put you in your place? That pretty much confirms my suspicions. Put me there too please.

Don't forget that Jesus was human. He ate. He pooped. He peed. He slept. He may have even wanked the willy. And that may have been His most divine trait - that he was human while instilling in His followers the Godly Word.

His mother was also human. But personally, I revere Her much more than I revere Jesus.

I don't know how many hours of my life I spent praying to God and Jesus. But that moment in my life that I fervently reached out to Christ's Mother was the only time that I received a sign from Heaven. I was shown a miracle in answer to that outreach. And it fucking blew my mind. Holy Mary, Mother of God is the link.

Buy me a drink and I'll tell you the rest... of the story.

G'day!

When did Jesus behave dishonorably?

The words "Woman what have I to do with thee?" immediately come to mind but you can read all of the Gospels for yourself.

-

Your knowledge is thin. He was merely indicating that his mission here was beyond the mundane human concerns.

No your brain matter is unusually thin...that is obviously a dishonorable thing to say to your mother.
-

Not dishonorable in any way under his circumstances. Simply the truth.

-

Your knowledge is thin. He was merely indicating that his mission here was beyond the mundane human concerns.

I don't know if you watched the recent Republican debate on NBC that was filled with the moderators asking "gotcha questions" all night long. Up until now I have given Anonymous the benefit of the doubt that he was truly seeking an answer, but it has become apparent to me that all he is doing is scouring scripture looking for things that he can say "gotcha" on just like the NBC moderators. He isn't serious. He doesn't want to learn. He doesn't want to grow. He just wants to say "gotcha". The problem is...he is REALLY bad at it. :lol: Regardless it's not worth my time. I am more than willing to give what I can to someone truly seeking, but he is not seeking. He is trolling.

-

No your brain matter is unusually thin...that is obviously a dishonorable thing to say to your mother.
-

Not dishonorable in any way under his circumstances. Simply the truth.

I know you are but what am I?

-

Forum List

Back