Jay Carney is floundering under pressure, say Washington insiders

Shooter

Semper Fi
Sep 1, 2010
Florida
And I thought Robert Gibbs was bad. This Carney kid is not looking very impressive at all. He in fact looks like he's in over his head and not up to the job.

I think Obama would be wise to replace him ASAP.

jay-carney-460.jpg

There is increasing concern in Washington that Jay Carney, the new White House Press Secretary, isn’t up to the job. Even when faced with an innocuous question that requires only that he trot out the official line, he looks completely stunned, as if the questioner is Bob Woodward asking him about Deep Throat. He gathers himself, embarks on a stuttering reply, pauses for what seems like an eternity, then starts gabbling, tripping over his words, rephrasing what he’s just said, then looking plaintively back at the questioner as if to say, “How did I do? Was that okay? Or would you like me to try again?”

“I think he’s doing very badly,” says a political contact based in Washington. “And I’ve heard others say that he’s really struggling.”
This is a pivotal moment in Barack Obama’s presidency, a moment when the eyes of the world are locked on Washington. In the global battle for hearts and minds, it is essential that the leader of the free world exudes an air of calm authority at this time. Yet the White House’s handling of the media in the aftermath of Sunday’s events has been breathtakingly amateurish, planting seeds of doubt about the legality of the operation and about Osama bin Laden’s death that would not otherwise be there.

The constantly changing narrative – or “fact pattern”, as one White House official described it – suggests that the president and his advisers have been caught on the hop and have no clear strategy for dealing with the fallout from bin Laden’s death. This is epitomised by the halting, timid delivery of Jay – “How’m I doin’?” – Carney, who must bear some of the responsibility for this communications failure.

Jay Carney is floundering under pressure, say Washington insiders – Telegraph Blogs

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting. I always thought the blond chick was a joke, and that anyone that was boring enough would do just fine - never thought of a press secretary as someone who could affect the presidency.

Well, it helps him do his job if you let him know what's going on. Just saying.

And I thought Robert Gibbs was bad. This Carney kid is not looking very impressive at all. He in fact looks like he's in over his head and not up to the job.

jay-carney-460.jpg

There is increasing concern in Washington that Jay Carney, the new White House Press Secretary, isn’t up to the job. Even when faced with an innocuous question that requires only that he trot out the official line, he looks completely stunned, as if the questioner is Bob Woodward asking him about Deep Throat. He gathers himself, embarks on a stuttering reply, pauses for what seems like an eternity, then starts gabbling, tripping over his words, rephrasing what he’s just said, then looking plaintively back at the questioner as if to say, “How did I do? Was that okay? Or would you like me to try again?”

“I think he’s doing very badly,” says a political contact based in Washington. “And I’ve heard others say that he’s really struggling.”
This is a pivotal moment in Barack Obama’s presidency, a moment when the eyes of the world are locked on Washington. In the global battle for hearts and minds, it is essential that the leader of the free world exudes an air of calm authority at this time. Yet the White House’s handling of the media in the aftermath of Sunday’s events has been breathtakingly amateurish, planting seeds of doubt about the legality of the operation and about Osama bin Laden’s death that would not otherwise be there.

The constantly changing narrative – or “fact pattern”, as one White House official described it – suggests that the president and his advisers have been caught on the hop and have no clear strategy for dealing with the fallout from bin Laden’s death. This is epitomised by the halting, timid delivery of Jay – “How’m I doin’?” – Carney, who must bear some of the responsibility for this communications failure.

Jay Carney is floundering under pressure, say Washington insiders – Telegraph Blogs

Imagine having to defend the changing positions of this Administration. :dance:

Poor Mud. President Obama is showing how things should be done, and sour grapes are Mud's primary meal now.

Huge and sudden natural disaster spread over many states, the aftermath of which is being handled very well.

Now a slow and huge natural disaster, a 100 year Mississippi flood, being handled well, with government working together at all levels.

Such a constrast to what happened with the prior resident of the White House. Well, the wingnuts have to find something to whine and puke about.

Poor Mud. President Obama is showing how things should be done, and sour grapes are Mud's primary meal now.

Huge and sudden natural disaster spread over many states, the aftermath of which is being handled very well.

Now a slow and huge natural disaster, a 100 year Mississippi flood, being handled well, with government working together at all levels.

Such a constrast to what happened with the prior resident of the White House. Well, the wingnuts have to find something to whine and puke about.

How does ignoring them indicate that things ar ebeing handled well?

I believe he and Gibbs have/had an impossible job. Everyone in the administration gives different opinions of what happened in the raid and then members of Congress come out and say they saw fake pictures, what's the guy to do?

Why doesn't Obama tell everyone, Holder, Brenner, Biden and Panetta to shut their mouths and give this guy a break by giving one skeleton story and sticking to it? It seems that Everyone in this administration goes out in public and second guesses another whether it is in their department or not. Do they have to have their air time that badly?

It was obvious that Brenner wrote his statement before the action even started when talking about that luxury mansion, FGS. They all seem like idiots when they do this.

Believe me, were they not being handled well, there would be enough people screaming that we would know about it.

It is not being ignored, it is simply that the things being done make sense, and the local, state, and federal government are doing the neccessary thinks in a timely manner.

White House Press Secretary, Opie, is cute and is trying hard. That is one job, I would never want. I wish him well. It is difficult to try to be ethical with the press, while being PC and protecting your boss.

Believe me, were they not being handled well, there would be enough people screaming that we would know about it.

It is not being ignored, it is simply that the things being done make sense, and the local, state, and federal government are doing the neccessary thinks in a timely manner.
"Wingnuts" aren't complaining, it's "Washington Insiders" Did you read the story? Obviously not.

It's not really Carney's fault. As others have already posted, he's floundering because the Administration keeps changing the story.

It's hard for him to keep up with all the lies.

This guy is no different than anyone else in this administration.They are all incompetent and fools.

White House Press Secretary, Opie, is cute and is trying hard. That is one job, I would never want. I wish him well. It is difficult to try to be ethical with the press, while being PC and protecting your boss.

For once, I agree with more than your avatar!

I was in favor of Karen Finney replacing Gibbs, but Carney is a smart dude. Keep in mind that he's a writer, so public speaking is not his forte.

For once, I agree with more than your avatar!

I was in favor of Karen Finney replacing Gibbs, but Carney is a smart dude. Keep in mind that he's a writer, so public speaking is not his forte.

brilliant move to pick a press secretary who's uncomfortable speaking in public. :thup:

maybe a mime could help take up the slack?

Boooosh went through four (sadly, one died). It's one of the hardest jobs in the WH, because the press secretary is restricted to only the talking points of the President. Also, anyone who's ever sat and watched the daily briefing would know that sometimes a reporter can ask the same fucking question over and over and over and over, knowing damned well it's not going to get answered. It's their 15 minutes of fame, and the press secretary must keep his/her cool during those little performances, although yes, that often translates to faltering when it's really pure frustration.

jay-carney-460.jpg

Imagine having to defend the changing positions of this Administration. :dance:

Imagine stupid people who think the world stands still.

I believe he and Gibbs have/had an impossible job. Everyone in the administration gives different opinions of what happened in the raid and then members of Congress come out and say they saw fake pictures, what's the guy to do?

Why doesn't Obama tell everyone, Holder, Brenner, Biden and Panetta to shut their mouths and give this guy a break by giving one skeleton story and sticking to it? It seems that Everyone in this administration goes out in public and second guesses another whether it is in their department or not. Do they have to have their air time that badly?

It was obvious that Brenner wrote his statement before the action even started when talking about that luxury mansion, FGS. They all seem like idiots when they do this.

And it's obvious WHY, too. If they had waited even 24 hours to actually review the after action reports from the Seals and related to the public by the Pentagon, the righties would have been clamoring for a bullet in Obama's head as well as Osama's. So they gave a brief analysis of what they SAW as the event went down and made assumptions (which actually weren't that far off as to raise such a ruckus among the talking heads).

Yup. I was actually hoping Gibbs would be replaced with a pro, such as Jon Avlon, who is familiar with members of the press corps just as Tony Snow had been--the best press secretary I've ever witnessed because he knew how to talk with both the right and the left without ruffling feathers.

Forum List

Back