Trump is following in the footsteps of giants.

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017

The right-wing scammers who paved the way for Trump

During his time atop the Republican Party, Donald Trump’s lifetime habits of fraud and grifting have fused seamlessly with conservative politics. In 2024 alone, Trump debuted $399 gold sneakers emblazoned with the American flag, sold a $60 “God Bless the USA” Bible endorsed by singer Lee Greenwood, and convinced millions to purchase stock in Truth Social’s unprofitable parent company.

Trump is often treated as a political hijacker who rerouted the Republican Party to his own self-interested ends. Surely that’s part of the truth. But at the same time, there’s a decent case that, when it comes to grifting, his hijacking attempt could only succeed due to the conservative movement’s ingrained scammy tendencies.

From paranoid anti-Communist lecture series in the 1950s to crowdfunded birther investigations to Alex Jones peddling fake coronavirus cures, there’s a long and storied history of elites peddling fear and paranoia to make a buck. The problem has gotten so bad that, in the past several years, many prominent conservatives have publicly bemoaned the omnipresence of grifts in the conservative ranks.

But where did this culture come from, and how important was it to Trump’s rise?

These questions are at the heart of The Longest Con, a forthcoming book on the history of right-wing scams and frauds. The book’s author, Joe Conason, is a veteran New York journalist; he personally knew some of the key figures in the scammy right’s history, like mobbed-up lawyer and Trump mentor Roy Cohn.

I guess the question is why are conservatives seemingly subject to so easily being conned? Not to say no liberal has ever been the victim of a scam. It's just that political scams are so common on the Right.

The Right’s Grifter Problem

It seems that the OP is not ready.

1712378494527-jpeg.927983

You gotta love the free market.

The more Trump sells, the more the cult is triggered. I love it.

He made $4billion last week because you cult fucks told him to build his own Twitter…..and he did. :auiqs.jpg:

It is because of YOU he earned $4B last week. Thanks!

During his time atop the Republican Party, Donald Trump’s lifetime habits of fraud and grifting have fused seamlessly with conservative politics. In 2024 alone, Trump debuted $399 gold sneakers emblazoned with the American flag, sold a $60 “God Bless the USA” Bible endorsed by singer Lee Greenwood, and convinced millions to purchase stock in Truth Social’s unprofitable parent company.

Trump is often treated as a political hijacker who rerouted the Republican Party to his own self-interested ends. Surely that’s part of the truth. But at the same time, there’s a decent case that, when it comes to grifting, his hijacking attempt could only succeed due to the conservative movement’s ingrained scammy tendencies.

From paranoid anti-Communist lecture series in the 1950s to crowdfunded birther investigations to Alex Jones peddling fake coronavirus cures, there’s a long and storied history of elites peddling fear and paranoia to make a buck. The problem has gotten so bad that, in the past several years, many prominent conservatives have publicly bemoaned the omnipresence of grifts in the conservative ranks.

These questions are at the heart of The Longest Con, a forthcoming book on the history of right-wing scams and frauds. The book’s author, Joe Conason, is a veteran New York journalist; he personally knew some of the key figures in the scammy right’s history, like mobbed-up lawyer and Trump mentor Roy Cohn.

I guess the question is why are conservatives seemingly subject to so easily being conned? Not to say no liberal has ever been the victim of a scam. It's just that political scams are so common on the Right.

These tirades from lefty internet tabloids are hilarious.

The irony is thick.

That he is a billionaire selling shit in a free market economy?

I am confused how selling merch is bad.

Anyone should be able to do that…..EVEN JOE BIDEN

“46” Sweatpants for $60? 🤡

People pick weird shit to cry about.

Straitjacket.jpg

He made $4billion last week because you cult fucks told him to build his own Twitter…..and he did. :auiqs.jpg:

He lost $3 billion from its initial price, no? The last week, was not good.

Yeah...you might want to check the ticker on that number now. It's less. A lot less. :auiqs.jpg:

That he is a billionaire selling shit in a free market economy?

I am confused how selling merch is bad.

Anyone should be able to do that…..EVEN JOE BIDEN

“46” Sweatpants for $60? 🤡

People pick weird shit to cry about.
Any one can do that, just seems kinda tacky, things like cheap made gold shoes for hundreds of dollars.

I would not even know about this Trump merch but for the triggered cult fucks crying about it. :laughing0301:

Thanks for the advertising.

You fools clearly do not understand the Streisand effect.

If you buffoons had anything at all to say in favor of your team of treasonous, elitist, fucking snobs, you'd be screeching it from the mountaintops.

But you got nothing, so ORANGE MAN BAD!

It is really all they have.

RACIST HOMOPHOBIC ISLAMAPHOBIC TRANSPHOBIC MISOGYNIST COLONIZER!!

What did I forget? What else am I?

Forum List

Back