Jan 15 is MLK day. Why do we honor a white-hating racist?

Here is another MLK pro GOP quote LOL...does that sound like a Republican ..Get fucking Real
“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”
—“Beyond Vietnam,” 1967

He said he never endorsed either party. But he leaned Republican because back then the southern democrats were part of the problem with the sundown towns and Jim Crow laws.
This sounds Real Republican LOL

“When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, extreme materialism and militarism are incapable of being conquered.”

— “Revolution of values,” 1967
Republicans were different back then same with democrats. This was a big study in sociology of race and religion.

Republican then were not the same as the ones that have developed since the 80's with Reagan.

He said he never endorsed either party. But he leaned Republican because back then the southern democrats were part of the problem with the sundown towns and Jim Crow laws.
No he did not lean Republican ... He supported LBJ over Barry Goldwater and he ripped Ronald Reagan

He did, he didn't support social programs. We can agree to disagree.

He didn't support Social programs ...dude seriously

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”
—“Beyond Vietnam,” 1967

Let's have a day for thomas Edison or Henry Ford - some useful american who helped the country. MLK is why america is flooded with the systemic racism of affirmative action.

MLK was also an incredibly stupid man who could barely read. Here's a website that gives his super-low scores in the GRE test.

Graduate Record Examination Scores for Martin Luther King, Jr.
There is stupid and then there is Evangelical Right wing stupid​
26219722_1731135066964260_9142677326299383715_n.jpg
jesus sloth.jpg

—“Beyond Vietnam,” 1967

I'm not a dude. Yes I'm serious. I've heard your opinion and you heard mine move on.

—“Beyond Vietnam,” 1967

I'm not a dude. Yes I'm serious. I've heard your opinion and you heard mine move on.
stick to the facts do not replace fact with your opinion...Trump does that LOL

Let's have a day for thomas Edison or Henry Ford - some useful american who helped the country. MLK is why america is flooded with the systemic racism of affirmative action.

MLK was also an incredibly stupid man who could barely read. Here's a website that gives his super-low scores in the GRE test.

The man pulled his people forward .. BFD what he grades were, he had a heart to motivate without violence.

Unlike you skinheads...;)

He was a great man.
I don't think that racists make great men.
Many many people harbor some racism in their hearts. It's how they handle it that defines them.

—“Beyond Vietnam,” 1967

stick to the facts do not replace fact with your opinion...Trump does that LOL

I didn't vote for Trump. You obviously know nothing about where I stand politically. Move on.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... we don't. We commemorate Martin Luther King. Is this a trick question?

Go ahead and try to put legs on your strawman.

Oh and tone down the butthurt. You're embarrassing yourself.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... we don't. We commemorate Martin Luther King. Is this a trick question?

Go ahead and try to put legs on your strawman.

Oh and tone down the butthurt. You're embarrassing yourself.
People don't remember Dr. King on is holiday? The devil you say! lol....

The man pulled his people forward .. BFD what he grades were, he had a heart to motivate without violence.

Unlike you skinheads...;)

What America needs is a black leader who focuses on black on black and black on white crime. Blacks would find that they would be more excepted if they toned it down and stopped being so racist against white people.

Yes of course Martin Luther King Jr. is why we have racism in America......

You haters got to hate, hate, hate.
White republicans are incapable of hate.

Oh come on. There's low-hanging fruit, and then there's fruit that literally falls off the tree into your lap....

Screen-Shot-2015-12-29-at-12.27.57-AM.png

This also reminds me of Steve McRacist's infamous post, which I saved for posterior:

Bigotry does not exist in my world.

:rofl:

Nothing like new blood who joins USMB and brings her "D" game....

Since MLK said to judge a person by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin, anybody who followed these words would be AGAINST affirmative action.

He advocated for equal rights, and not for the special privileges we see today.

He was a Republican.

Dr. Alveda C. King, niece of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., affirms that her uncle was a Republican during his lifetime.
In Chapter 23 of his autobiography, King writes this about the 1964 Republican National Convention:

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The “best man” at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade.

Senator Goldwater had neither the concern nor the comprehension necessary to grapple with this problem of poverty in the fashion that the historical moment dictated. On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represented a philosophy that was morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulated a philosophy which gave aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I had no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that did not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy.

King barnstormed the country on behalf on Johnson in 1964, “maintaining only a thin veneer of nonpartisanship,” according to biographer Nick Kotz. King called Johnson’s win a “great victory for the forces of progress and a defeat for the forces of retrogress.”

Here is what King had to say about Ronald Reagan, the hero of modern Republicans:

When a Hollywood performer, lacking distinction even as an actor can become a leading war hawk candidate for the Presidency, only the irrationalities induced by a war psychosis can explain such a melancholy turn of events.

Hmmmm this doesn't sound 'leaning Republican' to me:

Martin Luther King Jr. talking about the GOP National Convention where they nominated Barry Goldwater for President:

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The "best man" at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade.

It was both unfortunate and disastrous that the Republican Party nominated Barry Goldwater as its candidate for President of the United States. In foreign policy Mr. Goldwater advocated a narrow nationalism, a crippling isolationism, and a trigger-happy attitude that could plunge the whole world into the dark abyss of annihilation. On social and economic issues, Mr. Goldwater represented an unrealistic conservatism that was totally out of touch with the realities of the twentieth century. The issue of poverty compelled the attention of all citizens of our country. Senator Goldwater had neither the concern nor the comprehension necessary to grapple with this problem of poverty in the fashion that the historical moment dictated. On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represented a philosophy that was morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulated a philosophy which gave aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I had no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that did not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy.

Since MLK said to judge a person by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin, anybody who followed these words would be AGAINST affirmative action.

He was a Republican.

Dr. Alveda C. King, niece of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., affirms that her uncle was a Republican during his lifetime.

Nope. That's been long since debunked. MLK was what I am --- unaffiliated. And Alveda later corrected herself, noting that because her grandfather was a Republican she assumed Uncle MLK was too. Alveda admitted her error while you seem to have mysteriously lost that part.

Actually he did advocate for Affirmative Action- not special privileges.

He was a Republican.

In Chapter 23 of his autobiography, King writes this about the 1964 Republican National Convention:

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The “best man” at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade.

Senator Goldwater had neither the concern nor the comprehension necessary to grapple with this problem of poverty in the fashion that the historical moment dictated. On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represented a philosophy that was morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulated a philosophy which gave aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I had no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that did not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy.

King barnstormed the country on behalf on Johnson in 1964, “maintaining only a thin veneer of nonpartisanship,” according to biographer Nick Kotz. King called Johnson’s win a “great victory for the forces of progress and a defeat for the forces of retrogress.”

Here is what King had to say about Ronald Reagan, the hero of modern Republicans:

When a Hollywood performer, lacking distinction even as an actor can become a leading war hawk candidate for the Presidency, only the irrationalities induced by a war psychosis can explain such a melancholy turn of events.

Actually he said he had always voted Democratic, but these are just inconvenient "facts"...

>> I have few regrets in my life. At the top of the list is the demise of two children in my womb, and one miscarriage. Next to that, I regret having said to a group of peers that my Uncle M. L. (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.) was a Republican. My Grandfather, Dr. Martin Luther King, Sr. was a registered Republican. Uncle M. L. was an independent. I assumed that since Granddaddy was a Republican, Uncle M. L. was too. After all, before the election of President John F. Kennedy, the majority of African American voters were Republicans*. Granddaddy convinced a large block of Blacks to vote for President John Kennedy after he helped to get my uncle out of jail during those turbulent days. Uncle M. L. tended to vote Democrat, but remained independent because he found weaknesses in both parties. The truth of the matter is that God isn't a Republican or a Democrat or a Tea Party voter. God doesn't vote. The squabbling and division among the parties is tragic. << -- Alveda King: 'Put the Political Strife Out to Pasture'

Which aligns with what King himself said:

>> I don’t think the Republican party is a party full of the almighty God nor is the Democratic party. They both have weaknesses.

And I’m not inextricably bound to either party. I’m not concerned about telling you what party to vote for. But what I’m saying is this, that we must gain the ballot and use it wisely2.”

(2. During a sermon in Atlanta one month earlier, King revealed that he had been offered money by both political parties to rally black voters for the 1956 election: They told me they had $75,000 to spend towards obtaining the Negro vote. A large part of this money would have been set aside for my own advantage. I studied their offers long and prayed over it again and again. Then I told them I couldn’t do it. I knew it would have given me anopportunity to educate my children and would have given me my first possessions in the world, but I could not sacrifice my soul in the structure of partisan politics” (“King Warns Leaders Of PartisanPolitics,” Montgomery Advertiser, 14 January 1958). << -- Interview transcript here

--- and of course that letter to a supporter that said:

>> Thanks for your very kind letter of September 17, making inquiry concerning the way the Negro will vote in the coming election. I am of the impression that the Negro voter will go largely for the Democratic Party.

I haven’t fully decided which candidate I will vote for. In the past I have always voted the Democratic ticket. At this point I am still in a state of indecision. Stevenson seems to be more forthright on the race question than Eisenhower, but the Democratic Party is so inexplicably bound to the South that it does leave doubt in the minds of those interested in civil rights. Let us all hope that the candidate most concerned with the welfare for all people of America will win the election.

Sincerely yours,
M. L. King, Jr.,
President
(letter to Viva Sloan, 2 October 1956) << -- The Martin Luther King Jr. Papers

Sorry, history is history.... you don't get to rewrite it.

* - actually Alveda King is wrong here too; African Americans started voting toward the Democratic Party early in FDR's administration. They did spike in 1964 but the pattern was already established for three decades. We've done this before too. Part of the evolution/devolution of the two parties since the 19th century noted earlier.

Forum List

Back