James Hansen Wishes he Wasn’t So Right about Global Warming

I think I've told you before, I don't get my science from videos and I've got better things to do with the next 12 minutes of my life. If you want to explain how your video fixes your lack of a periodic forcing, feel free.

I think I've told you before, I don't get my science from videos and I've got better things to do with the next 12 minutes of my life. If you want to explain how your video fixes your lack of a periodic forcing, feel free.

But, while you're here, did you ever find an actual scientist - you know, like in a peer reviewed journal - that supports any of your ideas about climate and global warming? Because I don't see a lot of such links in your posts. Your 60 year old GCM paper is the closest thing I think you've ever posted to a peer reviewed piece of science. And you didn't even know what they were talking about when you posted it.

JICYDK, YouTube videos are not peer reviewed science.

But, while you're here, did you ever find an actual scientist - you know, like in a peer reviewed journal - that supports any of your ideas about climate and global warming? Because I don't see a lot of such links in your posts. Your 60 year old GCM paper is the closest thing I think you've ever posted to a peer reviewed piece of science. And you didn't even know what they were talking about when you posted it.

JICYDK, YouTube videos are not peer reviewed science.
How many more times do I need to share this link with you? This is like the 3rd time. Please see someone about your dementia.

How many more times do I need to share this link with you? This is like the 3rd time. Please see someone about your dementia.

That link does NOT support your claims. From your linked article:

Tipping to an undesired state in the climate is, however, a growing concern with increasing greenhouse gas concentrations.
We estimate a collapse of the AMOC to occur around mid-century under the current scenario of future emissions.
Numerous climate model studies show a hysteresis behavior, where changing a control parameter, typically the freshwater input into the Northern Atlantic, makes the AMOC bifurcate... [freshwater input from meltwater, not cooling]

The purpose of this study is improving the ability to statiscally predict tipping points for bistable systems as applied to the AMOC in the face of CO2 induced global warming. It refutes your claim that NH cooling will collapse the AMOC and provides nothing in the way of a periodic forcing. NOTHING. This appears to be ANOTHER study you simply do not understand.

That link does NOT support your claims. From your linked article:

Tipping to an undesired state in the climate is, however, a growing concern with increasing greenhouse gas concentrations.
We estimate a collapse of the AMOC to occur around mid-century under the current scenario of future emissions.
Numerous climate model studies show a hysteresis behavior, where changing a control parameter, typically the freshwater input into the Northern Atlantic, makes the AMOC bifurcate... [freshwater input from meltwater, not cooling]

The purpose of this study is improving the ability to statiscally predict tipping points for bistable systems as applied to the AMOC in the face of CO2 induced global warming. It refutes your claim that NH cooling will collapse the AMOC and provides nothing in the way of a periodic forcing. NOTHING. This appears to be ANOTHER study you simply do not understand.
My claim is that when the AMOC collapses the NH will freeze. So, yeah, that paper does support it.

My claim is that when the AMOC collapses the NH will freeze. So, yeah, that paper does support it.
I have read the entire paper now and it does no such thing. There is NO discussion of real world conditions following the collapse of the AMOC. There is one applicable footnote* and I have looked at it. It also contains nothing supporting your claims.

So, are you lying or simply once again wholly mistaken?

* - Footnote 38 in your original article. https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2108146119

I have read the entire paper now and it does no such thing. There is NO discussion of real world conditions following the collapse of the AMOC. There is one applicable footnote* and I have looked at it. It also contains nothing supporting your claims.

So, are you lying or simply once again wholly mistaken?

* - Footnote 38 in your original article. https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2108146119
There is nothing else that can cause glacial cycles other than disruption of heat flow from the Atlantic to the Arctic. Nothing.

There is nothing else that can cause glacial cycles other than disruption of heat flow from the Atlantic to the Arctic. Nothing.
That's a pretty silly claim. How about another Chicxulub impactor? And what about the overturning currents in the southern Atlantic and the northern and southern overturning currents in the Pacific? Are they all irrelevant?

Are you planning on addressing the fact that your claim that your paper supported the idea that stopping the AMOC would cause the NH to freeze, was a lie?

That's a pretty silly claim. How about another Chicxulub impactor? And what about the overturning currents in the southern Atlantic and the northern and southern overturning currents in the Pacific? Are they all irrelevant?

Are you planning on addressing the fact that your claim that your paper supported the idea that stopping the AMOC would cause the NH to freeze, was a lie?
The ocean and landmass configuration is what drives the planet's climate.

For you to scoff at such a self evident and obvious fact makes you look like a moron.

The ocean and landmass configuration is what drives the planet's climate.

For you to scoff at such a self evident and obvious fact makes you look like a moron.
So, the ocean and landmass configuration have changed twelve times in some periodic fashion over the last 2.5 million years?

So, the ocean and landmass configuration have changed twelve times in some periodic fashion over the last 2.5 million years?
No. Why would you believe that? Just the opposite. The conditions which led to both polar regions being thermally isolated from warm marine currents has existed for 50 million years.

This is fun watching you flail about trying to prove the heat distribution from the ocean doesn't drive the climate changes of the planet.

Poster Ding rejects the widely accepted theory that the glacial cycle of the Quaternary period is driven by the Milankovitch orbital cycles. Instead he claims that these cycles are driven by the configuration of land and seas. Unfortunately, he is completely unable to hypothesize anything resembling a periodic forcing function that might actually produce the Earth's periodic glaciation. Instead, over and over again, he has presented explanations that all depend on some variety of "then something happened" without providing causation of any sort.

Poster Ding rejects the widely accepted theory that the glacial cycle of the Quaternary period is driven by the Milankovitch orbital cycles. Instead he claims that these cycles are driven by the configuration of land and seas. Unfortunately, he is completely unable to hypothesize anything resembling a periodic forcing function that might actually produce the Earth's periodic glaciation. Instead, over and over again, he has presented explanations that all depend on some variety of "then something happened" without providing causation of any sort.
No, I think orbital cycles do play a role in triggering glacial periods. Just not by reducing solar radiation striking the planet enough to cause a 2C change in NH temperatures. For that to occur it must be because of disruption of heat transport from the Atlantic to the Arctic. So whatever role orbital cycles play it most likely is from affecting wind patterns which affect ocean circulation patterns. So that coupled with salinity and density changes from increased melt water and thermal expansion is what triggers the glacial period.

Forum List

Back