I'ts Official, Men Are More Intelligent Than Women

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
It's official, men are more intelligent than women

Though it may seem as unbelivable to some, a recent study done by British psychologists on 24,000 students, claims that the cleverest people are much more likely to be men than women.

The authors of a paper due to be published in the British Journal of Psychology believe that men are more intelligent than women by about five IQ points on average,and hence, are better suited for "tasks of high complexity".

Paul Irwing and Professor Richard Lynn studied genetic differences in intelligence between the sexes to explain why many more men than women won Nobel Prizes or became chess grandmasters.

They showed that men outnumbered women in increasing numbers as intelligence levels rise. There were twice as many with IQ scores of 125, a level typical for people with first-class degrees.

When scores rose to 155, a level associated with genius, there were 5.5 men for every woman.

Though, Dr Irwing, a senior lecturer in organisational psychology at Manchester University, at first felt uncomfortable with the results, he later got convinced after getting enough evidence on differences in intelligence between racial groups.

"For personal reasons I would like to believe that men and women are equal, and broadly that's true. But over a period of time the evidence in favour of biological factors has become stronger and stronger," The Times of London quoted him as saying.

"I have been dragged in a direction that I don't particularly like, but it would be sensible if the debate was based on what we pretty much know to be the case," he added.

Lynn, a Professor Emeritus of Psychology at the University of Ulster, argues that the differences between the sexes is explained by a link between IQ and brain size.

"Men have larger brains than women by about 10 per cent and larger brains confer greater brain power, so men must necessarily be on average more intelligent than women," he said.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/7242_1472140,00180007.htm

If men are more intelligent than women you wouldn't have posted this....

at least not anywhere a woman might see it. ;)

"Men have larger brains than women by about 10 per cent and <b>larger brains confer greater brain power, so men must necessarily be on average more intelligent than women</b>," he said.

:rotflmao:

mom4 said:
Makes me wonder what criteria were used to define "intelligence."

See a couple posts back - I posted the answer, as stated by one of the <b>men</b> that completed the study. :)

Shattered said:
See a couple posts back - I posted the answer, as stated by one of the <b>men</b> that completed the study. :)
In the sentence before that, he said there was a link between IQ and brain size. Made me wonder how they determined IQ to begin with. As for size being a causal factor in "power"....
:rotflmao:
Right there with you, Shattered.

Don't shoot the messenger... I didn't write the damn article.

I did however, expect someone to immediately find evidence to the contrary. It seems as though there may not be any, or anyone willing to find it. I guess making funny is better suited, for those who have responded.

Pale Rider said:
Don't shoot the messenger... I didn't write the damn article.

I did however, expect someone to immediately find evidence to the contrary. It seems as though there may not be any, or anyone willing to find it. I guess making funny is better suited, for those who have responded.
I guess many of us just don't see the point in trying to scientifically prove which gender is smarter. What does that get you? How do we benefit? Why are we spending time on this kind of stuff in the first place? Isn't their more important issues to tackle? How can you not respond with anything but humor? :dunno:

Pale Rider said:
....I did however, expect someone to immediately find evidence to the contrary. It seems as though there may not be any, or anyone willing to find it.....
Pound for pound, tea has more caffine in it than coffee. That's because it takes more tea to make a pound than it does coffee. But cup for cup, coffee has more.

If a man's brain is bigger, then it would have more area to it which might allow for more brain cells or grey matter, which then might allow for a few more smarts. But then a bigger brain migh also have less room in a skull for grey matter.
Maybe it's more important to just develop what you do have.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Joz said:
Pound for pound, tea has more caffine in it than coffee. That's because it takes more tea to make a pound than it does coffee. But cup for cup, coffee has more.

If a man's brain is bigger, then it would have more area to it which might allow for more brain cells or grey matter, which then might allow for a few more smarts. But then a bigger brain migh also have less room in a skull for grey matter.
Maybe it's more important to just develop what you do have.
This woman is so wise!

I do find it curious however - we can be bombarded with "Jokes" about how 'stupid' or 'naive' or 'incapable' men are...and it's just humor.

But the opposite? Chicks get REALLY bitchy sometimes, when you joke or make comments about them havin' pms or somethin'...go figure.

:D

dmp said:
I do find it curious however - we can be bombarded with "Jokes" about how 'stupid' or 'naive' or 'incapable' men are...and it's just humor.

But the opposite? Chicks get REALLY bitchy sometimes, when you joke or make comments about them havin' pms or somethin'...go figure.

:D

Psssst......Stick with the boobs theory.

dmp said:
Women CERTIANLY, on average, have MUCH better boobs than do men. :)

On average, yes...

20040419193551302_1.jpg

Forum List

Back