I'ts Official, Men Are More Intelligent Than Women

The ClayTaurus said:
I guess many of us just don't see the point in trying to scientifically prove which gender is smarter. What does that get you? How do we benefit? Why are we spending time on this kind of stuff in the first place? Isn't their more important issues to tackle? How can you not respond with anything but humor? :dunno:

Although you appear to be speaking for everyone, it looks more to me as an excuse as to why "you" responded as you did.

No biggy man... whatever.

Pale Rider said:
Although you appear to be speaking for everyone, it looks more to me as an excuse as to why "you" responded as you did.

No biggy man... whatever.
Point still stands: what's the benefit of declaring men smarter than women?

Joz said:
Pound for pound, tea has more caffine in it than coffee. That's because it takes more tea to make a pound than it does coffee. But cup for cup, coffee has more.

If a man's brain is bigger, then it would have more area to it which might allow for more brain cells or grey matter, which then might allow for a few more smarts. But then a bigger brain migh also have less room in a skull for grey matter.
Maybe it's more important to just develop what you do have.

So... what is "grey matter". Does it exist between the skull and the brain?

Pale Rider said:
So... what is "grey matter". Does it exist between the skull and the brain?
Grey matter is a category of nervous tissue with many nerve cell bodies and few myelinated axons........In general, grey matter can be understood as the parts of the brain responsible for information processing, whereas white matter is responsible for information transmission. In addition, grey matter - unlike white matter - does not have a myelin sheath and does not regenerate after injury....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_matter

gop_jeff said:
On average, yes...

20040419193551302_1.jpg

why you makin' fun of my dad? :(

Joz said:
Grey matter is a category of nervous tissue with many nerve cell bodies and few myelinated axons........In general, grey matter can be understood as the parts of the brain responsible for information processing, whereas white matter is responsible for information transmission. In addition, grey matter - unlike white matter - does not have a myelin sheath and does not regenerate after injury....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_matter

So... a larger brain "would" be capable of holding more grey matter... :scratch:

Pale Rider said:
So... a larger brain "would" be capable of holding more grey matter... :scratch:
You would think, wouldn't you? BUT.....

Previous research had shown that larger brains are weakly related to higher IQ, but this study is the first to demonstrate that gray matter in specific regions in the brain is more related to IQ than is overall size. Multiple brain areas are related to IQ, the UCI and UNM researchers have found, and various combinations of these areas can similarly account for IQ scores. Therefore, it is likely that a person’s mental strengths and weaknesses depend in large part on the individual pattern of gray matter across his or her brain.....
While gray matter amounts are vital to intelligence levels, the researchers were surprised to find that only about 6 percent of all the gray matter in the brain appears related to IQ.

Study results appear on the online version of NeuroImage.

In general, men have approximately 6.5 times the amount of gray matter related to general intelligence than women, and women have nearly 10 times the amount of white matter related to intelligence than men. Gray matter represents information processing centers in the brain, and white matter represents the networking of – or connections between – these processing centers.

This, according to Rex Jung, a UNM neuropsychologist and co-author of the study, may help to explain why men tend to excel in tasks requiring more local processing (like mathematics), while women tend to excel at integrating and assimilating information from distributed gray-matter regions in the brain, such as required for language facility.

http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/002244.html

dmp said:
Women CERTIANLY, on average, have MUCH better boobs than do men. :)

Good God.. Is that a...<b><i><u>smile?!</u></i></b>

Women do have better :boobies: ...unfortunately, the downside of that for you IS PMS. :death:

Shattered said:
Good God.. Is that a...<b><i><u>smile?!</u></i></b>

Women do have better :boobies: ...unfortunately, the downside of that for you IS PMS. :death:

But even PMS might not be all that bad.

When you compare it to the .... :boobies:

GotZoom said:
And that is only February.

Besides, even with PMS you get :boobies:

Not necessarily.. Possibly "Look, but touch, and I'll break your arm." Depending on the household chocolate supply. :D:D

gop_jeff said:
PMS = 3 days a month.

:boobies: = 25 days a month.

It's definitely worth it.

Yeah.

My wife, who is Asian, says that she has never had PMS, never heard of it until she moved to America, that it doesn't exist in Asia, and that she suspects it's a myth and/or conspiracy expounded by Western women for who knows what reason. Either that or it's caused by the poor diet in the West.

Myth?

(Sorry Shattered but NO AMOUNT of chocolate helped me.)

I began as a teenager. I would have breasts so painful it hurt to walk across the floor or despise the very air I breathed. And being aware that you aren't 'normal' and you try to control it but the mere mention that "you aren't in a good mood" can just make it worse. I now see that my temperament was probably a contributing factor as well. I always enjoyed being a woman except for this. And I envied my friends who breezed thru their monthly cycle. Many times I wished I could be locked up in a nice quiet room away from human contact for those few days; as I felt a kinship to the Lon Chaney werewolf.

Nuc said:
Yeah.

My wife, who is Asian, says that she has never had PMS, never heard of it until she moved to America, that it doesn't exist in Asia, and that she suspects it's a myth and/or conspiracy expounded by Western women for who knows what reason. Either that or it's caused by the poor diet in the West.

Poor diet, lack of exercise.....many things.

Forum List

Back