It Must Be Nice Being a Gov't Employee

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
I just got off the phone with my Sister-in-law. My Brother-in-law was in the Army for 20 plus years. Since then, he has worked for the Army as a civilian. He is based out of Fort McPherson in Atlanta.

Anyway, he has been putting off retirement for the last couple of years. I just think he doesn't want to be stuck around his wife 24/7, so he continues to work. As it turns out, the Army is closing down Fort McPherson in 2010. He has the option of retiring or transferring to South Carolina; I believe he would work at the Fort Jackson base.

Now here is the kicker. Five years ago, he and his wife bought a 5000 square foot home on 2.5 acres. It's a really nice home. But as we all know, houses aren't selling very well right now. They are interested in selling it as they are getting older and really don't need that much space. On top of that, they purchased it more as an investment than anything else. So, if he takes the transfer, they'll have to sell the house.

Well, as it turns out, they have nothing to worry about. If they can't sell the house, then the government will buy it from them. So basically, it's a smart move for him to take the transfer so they can sell the house. I just love the way our goverment operates.

catzmeow once told me there's different levels of governemtn.

plus ah, are you sure?

catzmeow once told me there's different levels of governemtn.

plus ah, are you sure?

Yea, I'm sure. The government has been very good to my in-laws. She worked over 30 years for different agencies, her last 12 with the CDC. He's been in the military for about 40 years combined between active and in a civilian capacity. So he already gets retirement from the Army. Once he retires as a civilian, he'll get retirement for those years as well.

Forum List

Back