It is not school funding or teacher, the the percent of black students that makes a school bad

I will keep my opinion to myself, for after reading all the posts in this thread, I realize that no one is ever going to change anyone else's mind on this topic.

The only thing that changes people's minds is personal experience.

As a new member, I do wish to express my appreciation to US Message Board for allowing this topic to be raised.

This topic would NEVER be allowed in most other politics forums on the Web. There are some topics that are too sensitive to discuss in public. Every country has its taboo subjects.

My personal experience was going to a very mixed school in the north shore suburbs of Chicago.

There were some very smart blacks and Hispanics and some dumb as rocks whites and Asians. However, as a whole the black students were almost always in the most remedial classes (upwards of 90% were in the most basic classes). There were a few that were functionally illiterate! Not saying they were bad people, because many were very good people and friends. However that was my personal experience.

Also note: in very wealthy north shore suburb, this was the only school that was highly mixed race and it was a very low rated school

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

The south does the worse
The democratic states do the best

Why? because they're funded and don't waste time with religious shit.

That's what you have?

The south does worse because we have black and Hispanic minorities that do not speak English well.

I recently taught in two rural high schools that had less than 5% minorities. Both were rated in the top 10% in the state and one was even listed by US News and World Report as one of the best schools in the nation every year I was there.

As far as "religious shit", we don't deal with religion at all, and never have, so what are you talking about?

The south does the worse

Academic studies have demonstrated that parental involvement drives educational outcome, not money nor "religious shit".

Ignoring that is anti-science.

Southern schools probably struggle because of large black populations with very high rates of illegitimacy, which greatly hampers parental involvement.

I taught in a very large high school in Florida. When time came to vote for the homecoming court, they would show the candidates and introduce them on out closed circuit TV. There are about 60 or so couples. Want to guess how many kid's parents were divorced because two sets of parents were read? About 90 percent of the kids were not married to each other anymore. That has to have an impact!

Crap like that made parent-teacher conferences very intimidating for the very few who ever showed up.

A good turnout would be 5%.

The south does the worse

Academic studies have demonstrated that parental involvement drives educational outcome, not money nor "religious shit".

Southern schools probably struggle because of large black populations with very high rates of illegitimacy, which greatly hampers parental involvement.

I taught in a very large high school in Florida. When time came to vote for the homecoming court, they would show the candidates and introduce them on out closed circuit TV. There are about 60 or so couples. Want to guess how many kid's parents were divorced because two sets of parents were read? About 90 percent of the kids were not married to each other anymore. That has to have an impact!

Crap like that made parent-teacher conferences very intimidating for the very few who ever showed up.

Of course it does.

And consider how exhausted and time stressed a single parent has to be.

Of course they don't make the teach conference.

The south does the worse

educational levels are more of a poverty issue than a color issue. and there are more single white mothers on welfare than black.

so once we stop deflecting by making it about race, we can actually do something about it.

as you pointed out in another post, you aren't going to get to the parent/teacher meeting if you're working multiple jobs to pay your bills.

I think some parents don't even understand why they should value school. and that causes its own problems in terms of whether or not they work with and encourage their kids.

the other issue is that teachers aren't paid enough. and because they aren't valued, most teachers nationwide are from the bottom 10% of their college graduating classes.

just something to consider.

The south does the worse

sooooooooo you want to keep people from getting divorced?

The south does the worse

I taught in a very large high school in Florida. When time came to vote for the homecoming court, they would show the candidates and introduce them on out closed circuit TV. There are about 60 or so couples. Want to guess how many kid's parents were divorced because two sets of parents were read? About 90 percent of the kid's parents were not married to each other anymore. That has to have an impact!

Of course it does.

Where did I mention single parents? I am talking about ALL parents.

The south does the worse

educational levels are more of a poverty issue than a color issue. and there are more single white mothers on welfare than black.

so once we stop deflecting by making it about race, we can actually do something about it.

I was discussing a behavior difference between the two cultures.

Parental involvement drives education outcome. In my opinion, the very high rates of illegitimacy is the primary education problem in this nation.

as you pointed out in another post, you aren't going to get to the parent/teacher meeting if you're working multiple jobs to pay your bills.

INdeed, policies designed to encourage the Traditional One Income, one homemaker, family would be the ideal OPPOSITE, of what we have now.

I think some parents don't even understand why they should value school. and that causes its own problems in terms of whether or not they work with and encourage their kids.

Certainly some of that.

the other issue is that teachers aren't paid enough. and because they aren't valued, most teachers nationwide are from the bottom 10% of their college graduating classes.

Teachers I know seem to be doing ok. Teachers I've met all seem pretty bright.

The south does the worse

I taught in a very large high school in Florida. When time came to vote for the homecoming court, they would show the candidates and introduce them on out closed circuit TV. There are about 60 or so couples. Want to guess how many kid's parents were divorced because two sets of parents were read? About 90 percent of the kid's parents were not married to each other anymore. That has to have an impact!

Of course it does.

Where did I mention single parents? I am talking about ALL parents.

Sorry, putting my own spin on your post.

The south does the worse

Always the liberal way to blame poverty. But you then defeat your own point by stating many single white women are on welfare. This is true, but the white kids who are poor still do better.

Rural schools are many times just as poor as, if not more poor, than urban inner cities. Yet they are always lower funded than the inner cities. Yet the rural schools made of white kids always rank higher and do better than the inner city schools composed mostly of black kids. Not to mention crime, murder, gang activity is not a big problem in the poor rural white areas, but an overwhelming problem in poor and even middle class black areas.

You can willful ignore it, but the problem is clear.

The south does the worse

Always the liberal way to blame poverty. But you then defeat your own point by stating many single white women are on welfare. This is true, but the white kids who are poor still do better.

Rural schools are many times just as poor as, if not more poor, than urban inner cities. Yet they are always lower funded than the inner cities. Yet the rural schools made of white kids always rank higher and do better than the inner city schools composed mostly of black kids. Not to mention crime, murder, gang activity is not a big problem in the poor rural white areas, but an overwhelming problem in poor and even middle class black areas.

I blame poverty because the cause is poverty.

But leave it to bigots to try to pretend it's about color

The south does the worse

Not speaking for GHook,

but generally the point is not to justify racism, but to identify the problem.

If one group is suffering a specific problem so much more than another, then looking at the differences can show what the cause is.

And illegitimacy is vastly more common in the black community than in the white.

Shutting down the discussion by screaming racism, is choosing to NOT address the problem.

Thus, allowing it to grow and fester.

The south does the worse

But your corrected yourself in your last reply. You can’t roll that back. There are more white people (not per capita, but total) on welfare, but by and large the white children in these families do better in school and, as a result, these schools are ranked higher.

Poverty and lack of money makes everything harder. Kids don’t get the right clothes, can’t join sports, can’t get tutors or doctors. There is no doubting this. Kids born to wealthy families have an advantage. But again you said it yourself. More white families are on welfare. So your argument that it is just poverty doesn’t hold water.

The south does the worse

Not speaking for GHook,

but generally the point is not to justify racism, but to identify the problem.

If one group is suffering a specific problem so much more than another, then looking at the differences can show what the cause is.

And illegitimacy is vastly more common in the black community than in the white.

Shutting down the discussion by screaming racism, is choosing to NOT address the problem.

Thus, allowing it to grow and fester.

Well said buddy.

The proof is in the pudding. Their is a direct correlation btw how good a school is and the number of black students. It is not a shock that in every state the bottom schools are always the school that are predominately black. These are also the most dangerous and violent schools.

Black Self-Sabotage

You can call it racism if you choose and I know liberals are going to, but you can’t deny facts on the ground.

actually, it's poverty that makes schools bad.

bigots are boring.
I don't agree with the message on this thread but...
It is not poverty. I went to a school full of welfare recipients which meant almost the whole school was on free lunch. They were all my friends. All of my friends are doctors, lawyers, directors and what not.

It is not poverty but rather the belief that you can not succeed and the belief that your not good enough. It's the belief that you need a handout and that evil society is and will always hold you back.

None of my friends ever believed any of those lies. They succeeded because they knew their own value.

This is why we can't "fix" this country, we can't even have an adult conversation about /facts/ and /statistics/ without everyone calling each other racist. It's absolutely ridiculous how much everyone hates and disrespects each other these days.

~SMH~
We call them racists because they are racists.

To wit:
Actually, it's low IQ's that makes poverty
Notice the horrible grammar. The irony is fucking rich.
Sometime being tired makes for bad grammar.

So are you suggesting it is culture that decides for many of us?

Let's be honest here....we're really talking about thirdworld Mexican anchor babies that shouldn't be here to begin with...that aside. I can't help but wonder if any of this has to do with filthy thirdworlders insisting their anchors hold on to their Mexican heritage and thus the thirdworld mentality?
These lowlifes send their anchor babies to American schools to learn American curriculum and to become "Americanized" yet won't really allow it at home. Like all filth, they can't get out of their own way, they are their own worst enemy.

Oh, woe is me! All my problems are because of Mexicans and blacks...
America is not a melting but more of a salad. If it was a melting pot then we all would have the same culture and fewer problems.

The proof is in the pudding. Their is a direct correlation btw how good a school is and the number of black students. It is not a shock that in every state the bottom schools are always the school that are predominately black. These are also the most dangerous and violent schools.

Black Self-Sabotage

You can call it racism if you choose and I know liberals are going to, but you can’t deny facts on the ground.

actually, it's poverty that makes schools bad.

bigots are boring.
I don't agree with the message on this thread but...
It is not poverty. I went to a school full of welfare recipients which meant almost the whole school was on free lunch. They were all my friends. All of my friends are doctors, lawyers, directors and what not.

It is not poverty but rather the belief that you can not succeed and the belief that your not good enough. It's the belief that you need a handout and that evil society is and will always hold you back.

None of my friends ever believed any of those lies. They succeeded because they knew their own value.

I understand, but it's important to realize that your particular story is not a national story. my son's middle school had a fairly high poverty rate. but it also had three tiers of honors programs for gifted and talented kids which would have modified the success rate of the school.

the reality is poverty is the problem. it isn't about color. that is what the science says.

Forum List

Back