It is demeaning to nation for Mrs. Obama to discuss slavery

This is not sensible: "Subsistence level living is all they are making. They are really nothing more than slaves even now."

You have absolutely no idea what they are making. When you do, post it.

Why the bitterness about something you don't understand?

I posted the GS Scale. I'm pretty sure that a chamber maid at the white house doesn't make more than a clerk who has a college degree. What don't I understand? Have YOU ever been a slave? Well I have worked for $1.25/hour back in the 60s. And I can tell you that minimum wage is not a living wage.

Last edited:
So history doesn't matter? Tell that to those nations trying to rebuild a society, or tell that to those people who suffered and still suffer the prejudice and bias built into the psyche of people and into their behaviors. Tell that to those others who suffered holocausts or mass murder. History matters for it establishes the present and should not ever be forgotten since many people are ready to return to bias prejudice hatred and evil which stands in the background ready. All that is required is a reason and for some they are too convenient.

"We first kill people with our minds, before we kill them with weapons. Whatever the conflict, the enemy is always the destroyer. We're on God's side; they're barbaric. We're good, they're evil. War gives us a feeling of moral clarity that we lack at other times." Sam Keen

"...[M]any people find themselves surprised at the sympathy they can feel for even outrageous opponents of government-as was demonstrated when popular support blossomed for the anti-government forces holed up with David Koresh at Waco, Texas, or with Randy Weaver, who defied the FBI at Ruby Ridge, Idaho. I remember filmmaker Oliver Stone's telling me how much he sided with those underdogs. After all, much of what those groups said was just the equivalent of the Jefferson tee shirt worn by Timothy McVeigh, the bomber of Oklahoma City's federal building. But the real victims of our fear are not those faced with such extreme action - not even the 168 people killed (and many more injured) by McVeigh. The real victims are the millions of poor or shelterless or medically indigent who have been told, over the years, that they must lack care or life support in the name of their very own freedom. Better for them to starve than to be enslaved by "big government." That is the real cost of our anti-government values." Garry Wills 'A Necessary Evil' Introduction p21

So history doesn't matter? Tell that to those nations trying to rebuild a society, or tell that to those people who suffered and still suffer the prejudice and bias built into the psyche of people and into their behaviors. Tell that to those others who suffered holocausts or mass murder. History matters for it establishes the present and should not ever be forgotten since many people are ready to return to bias prejudice hatred and evil which stands in the background ready. All that is required is a reason and for some they are too convenient.

"We first kill people with our minds, before we kill them with weapons. Whatever the conflict, the enemy is always the destroyer. We're on God's side; they're barbaric. We're good, they're evil. War gives us a feeling of moral clarity that we lack at other times." Sam Keen

"...[M]any people find themselves surprised at the sympathy they can feel for even outrageous opponents of government-as was demonstrated when popular support blossomed for the anti-government forces holed up with David Koresh at Waco, Texas, or with Randy Weaver, who defied the FBI at Ruby Ridge, Idaho. I remember filmmaker Oliver Stone's telling me how much he sided with those underdogs. After all, much of what those groups said was just the equivalent of the Jefferson tee shirt worn by Timothy McVeigh, the bomber of Oklahoma City's federal building. But the real victims of our fear are not those faced with such extreme action - not even the 168 people killed (and many more injured) by McVeigh. The real victims are the millions of poor or shelterless or medically indigent who have been told, over the years, that they must lack care or life support in the name of their very own freedom. Better for them to starve than to be enslaved by "big government." That is the real cost of our anti-government values." Garry Wills 'A Necessary Evil' Introduction p21

Those are interesting quotes. Where is your link?

OK, you don't know. Here is the salary schedule for everyone in 2009 who worked in the WH. It does not support your analysis or your conclusion.

2009 Annual Report to Congress on White House Staff | The White House

Maybe you should go in and read what you just posted. Most are lawyers and higher level employees.

None of those are maids and janitors. They are upper level jobs like "Deputy Director of Intergovernmental Affairs."

Michelle is a hypocrite.

Nope, you are for denying what is in the 2009 and 2012 salary ranges, which go from menial to advisory.

This is not sensible: "Subsistence level living is all they are making. They are really nothing more than slaves even now."

I posted the GS Scale. I'm pretty sure that a chamber maid at the white house doesn't make more than a clerk who has a college degree. What don't I understand? Have YOU ever been a slave? Well I have worked for $1.25/hour back in the 60s. And I can tell you that minimum wage is not a living wage.

In the sixties, $1.25/hour was living high on the hog. You're really a piece of work. Thanks for championing slavery.

OK, you don't know. Here is the salary schedule for everyone in 2009 who worked in the WH. It does not support your analysis or your conclusion.

2009 Annual Report to Congress on White House Staff | The White House

Maybe you should go in and read what you just posted. Most are lawyers and higher level employees.

None of those are maids and janitors. They are upper level jobs like "Deputy Director of Intergovernmental Affairs."

Michelle is a hypocrite.

Nope, you are for denying what is in the 2009 and 2012 salary ranges, which go from menial to advisory.

There are only a couple on there with a title 'assistant.' I know the WH has more than 2 wait staff. You are being ridiculous if you think maids at the WH get paid $175,000. They don't. They don't anywhere in the government. The only concession I will make is that the federal government has a union, the AFGE, and they negotiate pretty much everything, so it is likely they maids at the WH doe a little better than minimum wage because of the union. But they aren't paid like executives, and unless they have a spouse who also works, they have a subsistence level life at best.

Ravi, it was minimum wage, and, no, it was not living high off the hog. I washed dishes at that wage.

In the sixties, $1.25/hour was living high on the hog. You're really a piece of work. Thanks for championing slavery.

When I went to work as a secretary in the 60s with a high school diploma it was minimum wage.

Here is minimum wage for 1955 - 2010.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0774473.html

If you think minimum wage is 'high on the hog' you have never tried to live on it.

My bad, $1.25 wasn't a nickel higher. It was minimum wage in 1966.

Michelle is a hypocrite.

Last edited:

Michelle is a hypocrite.

There are only a couple on there with a title 'assistant.' I know the WH has more than 2 wait staff. You are being ridiculous if you think maids at the WH get paid $175,000. They don't. They don't anywhere in the government. The only concession I will make is that the federal government has a union, the AFGE, and they negotiate pretty much everything, so it is likely they maids at the WH doe a little better than minimum wage because of the union. But they aren't paid like executives, and unless they have a spouse who also works, they have a subsistence level life at best.

You made the assertion without the WH figures.

You still have not done that.

Please, do so, so we can have a real discussion.

I least posted WH wages and some of them are menial.

Do your part.

and the Decatur House.

Michelle Obama visits slave quarters

We're long past that time. It's over. Whitey's paid his due. Bringing up the fact that slaves served presidents is just rubbing the nation's nose it what "some people" (fill that in yourselves) consider shameful. Just look at her. It makes my skin crawl to see such a person being first lady.
"Beating a dead horse" comes to mind. But that's pretty much all she's got now that her husband is a scandal-ridden lame duck.

Michelle, like Laura, is a fine First Lady.

Those who can't stand her are simply projecting what they don't like onto her.

End of story. Unsubscribe.

Ravi, it was minimum wage, and, no, it was not living high off the hog. I washed dishes at that wage.

IOU +rep for that one. I was lucky to find 'an office job'. My mother worked in the 5 and dime on her feet all day. The office I worked in was an extension office for the University of KY. All they talked about was education and degrees. When my husband died 20 something years later, I knew the key to not getting back into poverty as a widow. I had listened to it being talked about for 5 years.

Last edited:
I am loving living off the taxpayers. I could have started at age 60 due to my status as a widow, and now I'm wondering why I didn't! LOL

Michelle, like Laura, is a fine First Lady.

Those who can't stand her are simply projecting what they don't like onto her.

End of story. Unsubscribe.

Jackie was the last REAL First Lady we had. She had a sense of history and enough common sense to not allow the press to photograph her doing things like drinking and smoking, both of which she did, or other things that would reflect badly on her or the nation.

Michelle is a hypocrite.

When I went to work as a secretary in the 60s with a high school diploma it was minimum wage.

Federal Minimum Wage Rates, 1955?2012 | Infoplease.com

If you think minimum wage is 'high on the hog' you have never tried to live on it.

Michelle is a hypocrite.
In 1966 @$1.25 an hour a house cost 8 times your salary.
Now with a minimum wage job it would cost 18 times your salary.

So yeah, you were living high on the hog compared with today's minimum wage employees.

Not to mention that your whining about maids salaries is meaningless. No one is forced to be a maid at the White House since slavery was outlawed.

:thup:

Federal Minimum Wage Rates, 1955?2012 | Infoplease.com

Michelle is a hypocrite.
In 1966 @$1.25 an hour a house cost 8 times your salary.
Now with a minimum wage job it would cost 18 times your salary.

So yeah, you were living high on the hog compared with today's minimum wage employees.

Not to mention that your whining about maids salaries is meaningless. No one is forced to be a maid at the White House since slavery was outlawed.

:thup:

No one making a dollar and a quarter an hour could buy one that cost that much. My first house was a basement. Just a basement that my husband and I lived in for 5 years. Then we built a house over it doing all the work on both ourselves. He had a decent job, but together we didn't make 20K/year and the banks would only loan you what you made in a year and you paid on it for 20 years. All told, our first house, basement and all cost about $10,000 doing the work ourselves. We sold it for a nice profit. But we hadn't paid for any labor. I can assure you we were not living 'hign on the hog.' We were working our asses off so we could keep our money and not turn most of it over to a landlord.

MikeK, you are whining and it is inaccurate. The full story of slavery from the ancient civilizations of Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Americas is taught as the prelude to American Negro Chattel Slavery. All of it is taught in our high schools and in our colleges, but all of does not excuse the overwhelming participation of whites in British North America in perpetuating black chattel slavery. OK?
So if you're looking to lay blame for the practice of slavery, including its presence here in America. . . And it doesn't belong to the White race.
For black chattel slavery in North America? It surely does, and you surely are a fool if you deny it.
If the situation were reversed and Whites had been enslaved by other Whites and then sold to Blacks, I would be ashamed to admit it. The point I am making is contrary to popular opinion Whites did not originate chattel slavery and are by no means wholly responsible for the practice of slavery in America.

There is no indication that chattel slavery was an essential component of the European or Scandinavian (White) cultures. But the practice is plainly an essential component of Black culture and it continues to exist today on the continent of Africa. And that is my response to Michelle Obama's raising of the issue of slavery.

If we're going to talk about it, let's tell the whole story and not promote any false impressions.

Forum List

Back