Isn't America better than this?

Yes, it may well be the case Midcan is the most intelligent person on the board. He is obviously more intelligent than me, since I did not understand his last statement. How fortunate he is, if this observation about his high intelligence is true. But you can be very intelligent, and wrong. History is full of examples of very intelligent people being dead wrong.

Here is Taomon's argument, as I understand it: Torture with the aim of getting useful information from the victim, never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever, works. Therefore, any discussion about the ethics of torture is moot, since the ethical consideration is trumped by the utilitarian one.

An analogy would be the proposal to sacrifice a child to the moon-god, in the hopes of getting a good harvest. The fact is that, whatever the ethics of it, it would be futile.

However, in reality, the general ethical case cannot be so easily avoided, although as a broad generality, the utilitarian argument against torture is correct.

I would ask Taomon, and those who agree with him, how he has arrived at his conclusion that torture never ever works under any circumstances whatsoever.

I myself have no experience of torture, either as giver or receiver. But I would hesitate to just derive such a strong conclusion as Taomon's based only on my own speculations and examination of my own thoughts and feelings. One of the great conquests of European civilization has been to move many questions from the realm of speculation from first principles, or the appeal to Authority, to the realm of empirical, evidence-based investigation.

If torture is totally useless in all circumstances, we have to ask ourselves why its use has been so widespread, over millenia and across many diverse cultures.

No doubt some, perhaps much, of the motivation for torture is extraneous to the desire to get useful information. A sadistic streak runs deep in many people, and torturing enemies, for some folks, may be just good fun: presumably the Native Americans, who engaged extensively in exquisite tortures, were just gratifying themselves rather than carrying out intelligence-gathering:

"When the early Jesuit fathers preached to Hurons and Choctaws,
They prayed to be delivered from the vengeance of the Squaws.
'Twas the women, not the warriors, made these stark enthusiasts pale,
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male."

And possibly there is a desire, sometimes, to instill general fear in a population, as Taomon speculates. If so, it is a stupid desire.

Only in the West, and that only in the last four hundred years, has torture been officially disavowed as an interrogation technique, although carried out extensively in practice behind the scenes. But hypocrisy is the first step from vice to virtue.

There is in fact plenty of evidence that torture is all too effective in certain circumstances. What are those circumstances? One set of circumstances might be: When the victim knows something that the torturers want to find out, and the information offered up by the victim to get the torture to cease can be quickly checked.

Typically, this information might be the names and locations of fellow members of an underground network, which is information which must usually be extracted quickly, before the victim's comrades find out that he has fallen into the hands of the authorities.

The problem is, that in real life the use of torture cannot be restricted to just a few cases. Its use spreads, the techniques used become more and more brutal, the torturers themselves become psychologically warped, the torturers lose what support or neutrality they may have had in the civilian population whose support or neutrality is all-important in winning the war.

So, as a dogmatic assertion drawn out of the air and compounded with wishful thinking, the convenient conclusion that "torture never works" cannot be defended in every specific instance. But as a general principle, the argument against torture is quite correct.

The few gains that will be made from using torture in specific instances will be overwhelmed by the losses that it will inflict on those who use it. As I argued in my initial post.

However, the argument against the use of torture, and near-torture, by the democratic anti-Islamist forces can only be made sincerely by those who are for the victory of those forces against radical Islam. The Left, in particular, are utter hypocrites on this issue, since historically they have studiously ignored torture when carried out by the side they supported in particular wars, which is on a par with their support of mass murderers like Stalin and Mao.

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips

"But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing. It behooves you, therefore, to be watchful in your States as well as in the Federal Government." Andrew Jackson

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

I completely agree with your quote from Burke. I have used it years as my sig, alternating with my current one.

Where our paths appear to separate is in who or what we respectively consider "good men doing nothing." Based on most of your posts I have seen on this board, you are the antithesis of Burke's statement.

Here is Taomon's argument, as I understand it: Torture with the aim of getting useful information from the victim, never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever, works. Therefore, any discussion about the ethics of torture is moot, since the ethical consideration is trumped by the utilitarian one.

An analogy would be the proposal to sacrifice a child to the moon-god, in the hopes of getting a good harvest. The fact is that, whatever the ethics of it, it would be futile.

However, in reality, the general ethical case cannot be so easily avoided, although as a broad generality, the utilitarian argument against torture is correct.

I would ask Taomon, and those who agree with him, how he has arrived at his conclusion that torture never ever works under any circumstances whatsoever.
Because history and psychological studies have proven it. Under coercisive conditions and especially under torture, the human mind reaches a limit of a breaking of the will. Many people have gone insane from torture and isolation. Many people simply become compliant to stop the tormenting situation and appeaser their torturer.

I have explained this all before. Read the history of the Inquistion, POWs and fascist regimes. If the torturee believes that the torment will end if they comply with their tormentors wishes (confession, intel, etc), then they will do so just to end the torture.

That does not mean that they finally give the information that they were hiding as I assume you are implying. They will say anything. If they are innocent, they will confess to something they have not done. They will give the names of people they know just to stop the torment. Or worse, when a person is broken they are like mold for the detainers to shape at will. Padilla was driven insane from his treatment and now is held indefinitely.

The few gains that will be made from using torture in specific instances will be overwhelmed by the losses that it will inflict on those who use it. As I argued in my initial post.

However, the argument against the use of torture, and near-torture, by the democratic anti-Islamist forces can only be made sincerely by those who are for the victory of those forces against radical Islam. The Left, in particular, are utter hypocrites on this issue, since historically they have studiously ignored torture when carried out by the side they supported in particular wars, which is on a par with their support of mass murderers like Stalin and Mao.
Actually here is where you are dead wrong. So the thousands of people (men, women & even children) shipped to detention centers, tortured and detained...some of whom have been let go, is a price you are willing to pay for the one or two that are actual threats?

In the words of Benjamin Franklin, anyone who gives up liberty for a little security, deserves neither.

You assume that democrats and liberals all condone torture if other regimes commit it. Where do you get that notion? Where in my rhetoric have I condoned such behavior from Stalin or Mao?

In fact, many of us have pointed to the historical record of these horrible regimes and stated that our own government is traveling the same path as those monsters and we need to stop.

Is it your contention that if other regimes commit acts of aggression, torture POWs, limit freedom and liberty, that they are wrong but if America does it that is fine because we are the good guys?

As far as I can tell, and from what I have read, there is no reason to torture other than revenge or to instill fear.

We agree that torture does not provide good intelligence correct? It is fact that someone who is tortured or coerced has a breaking point and when that thresh hold is reached he or she will say or do anything to relieve the torment.

That leaves revenge and instilling fear.

Now revenge I do not condone as a state. If someone rapes my daughter, I cannot guarantee that I would not exact revenge. In fact, the chances are pretty high that I would. But a state apparatus exacting revenge is the act of dictators and military regimes. We are a free country whose laws are based on reason and ethics. To exact revenge on innocent people in order to harm a few guilty ones goes against everything this country was founded on and every soldier dies defending.

Instilling fear, now there is a provocative reason. Not only does the state instill fear in their victims (the detainees) but also in would-be enemies and even its own citizens. Yes, we all know that the president now has the power to declare any person, even US citizens, an enemy combatant. That person would be kidnapped and transported to a detention center where we know that torture not only exists, but is lauded by some citizens. People assume that if you are declared an enemy combatant, then you must be a threat - otherwise, why would the president bother?

I'll tell you why, to stop opposition. If ordinary citizens like me, people in the press, civil lawyers, priests and so on were renditioned, tortured, tried and executed the press would label us as spies or treasonists. The public would no longer openly dissent. The administration would not be questioned. People would fear that detainment and torture.

And by the way, the Nazi's did just that. So did Mussilini, Stalin, and many despots throughout Latin America and the Middle East/Southeast Asia.

Ok, so now you have put conditions on what you meant in your original post. I agree with most of what you said in that case. I was talking with regard to revenge the "somebody raped my daughter" scenario. As for torture, I was thinking more along the lines of knowing for sure a terrorist has planted a bomb somewhere and you need to find out where it is before it goes off..

Ok, so now you have put conditions on what you meant in your original post. I agree with most of what you said in that case. I was talking with regard to revenge the "somebody raped my daughter" scenario. As for torture, I was thinking more along the lines of knowing for sure a terrorist has planted a bomb somewhere and you need to find out where it is before it goes off..

No doubt that an imminent bomb would be a tempting reason to torture someone. Not so sure that we would get the results we wanted or needed.

No, because that is a false scenario. That si a way to get me to concede and on this I cannot.

You said 'you can't be sure', which means that you will error on the side of the harming, not killing an individual, regardless of the possibility of saving masses from dying? I don't think I could live with that.

I would put myself between others and danger, without knowing whether that was a pointless gesture, I'd take the chance.

You said 'you can't be sure', which means that you will error on the side of the harming, not killing an individual, regardless of the possibility of saving masses from dying? I don't think I could live with that.

I would put myself between others and danger, without knowing whether that was a pointless gesture, I'd take the chance.

I said I could not be sure because until one is faced with that choice, no one is sure how he or she will act.

I know that in the case of my daughters being raped or killed, I would torure out of revenge. But that is something different.

I said I could not be sure because until one is faced with that choice, no one is sure how he or she will act.

I know that in the case of my daughters being raped or killed, I would torure out of revenge. But that is something different.

I don't think I would out of revenge. I would do what I could to see him prosecuted.

I don't think I would out of revenge. I would do what I could to see him prosecuted.

And I revealed something about myself. Do you have children? I would want prosecution too, but I also would want my daughter to feel safe that the creep never got out again. Plus, as a father, it is something I could never let go of.

And I revealed something about myself. Do you have children? I would want prosecution too, but I also would want my daughter to feel safe that the creep never got out again. Plus, as a father, it is something I could never let go of.

Yes, 3. I protect them and have fought to protect them. But I wouldn't commit a crime IF it wouldn't protect them, I'd find another way to help them. However, I'd gladly kill anyone trying to seriously harm them, if I could prevent that harm.

It's who I am and they and I've faced some pretty harmful stuff.

What's that about walking in someone else's shoes and not judging without all the information you cannot have?

Yes, 3. I protect them and have fought to protect them. But I wouldn't commit a crime IF it wouldn't protect them, I'd find another way to help them. However, I'd gladly kill anyone trying to seriously harm them, if I could prevent that harm.

It's who I am and they and I've faced some pretty harmful stuff.

What's that about walking in someone else's shoes and not judging without all the information you cannot have?

Gotcha

Doug, you are simply too much! You give us this long argument in which you actually agree with Taomon - in spite of yourself - only to arrive at the last paragraph in which you state the absurd, off the wall bit of Doug's distorted history. :eusa_wall:

No, Doug is here to learn from his intellectual superiors.

It is obvious that there are people with pretty good brains posting on this Board, and those who have not been so lucky in cranial content distribution should learn from them.

But Taomon and I do not agree. I claim that, if faced in practice with the Ticking Time Bomb scenario, there is only one sane answer.

But I also claim that when faced as a hypothetical, with the utility of torture stipulated to eliminate the utilitarian argument from consideration, then the Ticking Time Bomb question should simply not be answered.

Because if it is answered, in the only sane way that it can be, you will then be led by your interlocutor to concede, step after step, to increasingly less-obvious cases: if torture is okay to save five million, what about to save 500,000 ... 50,000 ... 5000, ... 5? And if it is okay when there is a 100% chance that you can get the truth from the terrorist, what about when there is only a 99% chance ... a 90% chance ... and so on.

Rather, we must understand that real life is full of considerations, some of which are contradictory, and all of which are usually fuzzy, and that real events cannot be artificially segregated from them, as they are in sophomore philosophy classes. Frictionless surfaces are a necessary artefact in physics classes, but frictionless life-situations never occur.

To condone torture, or near-torture, as an official policy is a bad idea, even if those doing it try to hedge it in with all sorts of restrictions and conditions.

The impulse to lay out in great legalistic detail such restrictions and conditions is actually an example of the retreat of common sense wisdom and the advance of excessive bureaucratic rationality into day to day life.

It is coterminous with the growth of the authority of the state, especially where the state begins to carry out functions once carried out by non-state institutions, and actually has a benign impulse behind it, which is the desire to limit the arbitrary power available to state officials, through binding them with rules.

But much of life cannot be codified into formal propositions with determinable truth-content -- this was the fallacy of the so-called "Artificial Intelligence" fad, and in particular of the idea of computer-based "Expert Systems" which were going to replace human judgment.

We lose more than we gain, and by a good deal, when we are seen to make torture part of our interrogation techniques. This is why we shouldn't use it.

But this requires common-sense wisdom in its application, like everything else.

Thus, in real life, I want decisions like what to do in each circumstance to be taken by wise people, whom I can trust to make the best decision possible. If there actually is a Ticking Time Bomb situation for real, I want to be able to trust them to do the right thing.

Putting it another way: there are things which are done, and not said. There are things which are said, and not done. And it is not possible to completely codify these things.

meh.. I was just trying to bait you back into the the other thread.

My apologies for being insulting while trying to prod you.

Forum List

Back