Is this racist?

Just stay away from large groups of blacks, or stay away from where they're known to frequent.

I think it is. So is the repeated belief of many here that blacks will riot and kill if Zimmerman is found not guilty.

Your quote has no context.

What if it is a black person saying it?

Why does everyone think Blacks are going to riot if Zimmerman is acquitted, or if Obama loses the election?:confused:
Good question.

I am around Blacks all the time, I hear more talk about the upcoming NBA playoffs than I do about Zimmermans trial or the election, and I hear no talk of taking to the streets. :dunno:

I took muddie's advice a few weeks ago to smile at black people and oddly enough they have ALL smiled back at me. And acted almost like real people.

:lol:

Just stay away from large groups of blacks, or stay away from where they're known to frequent.

I think it is. So is the repeated belief of many here that blacks will riot and kill if Zimmerman is found not guilty.

The color of a person's skin negates racist content in their words? That's an interesting theory.

Good question.

I am around Blacks all the time, I hear more talk about the upcoming NBA playoffs than I do about Zimmermans trial or the election, and I hear no talk of taking to the streets. :dunno:

I took muddie's advice a few weeks ago to smile at black people and oddly enough they have ALL smiled back at me. And acted almost like real people.

:lol:

I get the sense that Muddie doesn't encounter many black people in real life. Maybe he and Billy Joyce are neighbors up there in Vermont.

Why would that make a difference?

It makes a huge difference in how your quote is being used..... There of course would be no issue if it was a black person saying your quote....

You also give no context of why the statement is being made.....for example:

If you insist to wear that KKK outfit for Halloween just stay away from large groups of blacks, or stay away from where they're known to frequent

the only thing that would make it a "racist" statement is if you assume its something someone other then a black person saying.

The color of a person's skin negates racist content in their words? That's an interesting theory.

Fair enough, but context can make all the difference in the world.

Why would that make a difference?

It makes a huge difference in how your quote is being used..... There of course would be no issue if it was a black person saying your quote....

You also give no context of why the statement is being made.....for example:

If you insist to wear that KKK outfit for Halloween just stay away from large groups of blacks, or stay away from where they're known to frequent

the only thing that would make it a "racist" statement is if you assume its something someone other then a black person saying.

Racism fail.

A black person can be racially prejudiced against blacks.

Here's an extreme (and kind of humorous) example:

Last edited by a moderator:

When race baiting.... you bet. Think al shaprton.

Take the N word for example....

I don't think you understand the term racism.

rac·ism
   [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Racism is negatively stereotyping other people on the basis of race or displaying hate/intolerance of an individual or group on the basis of their race.

The n-word is a racial slur, but it isn't necessarily racist. Whether it is racist or not would depend on the context in which it is used.

It's kind of like the term "bitch."

I have a couple of friends who'll occasionally use the term in a joking way, directed a me, i.e., "bitch, please." That's very different from one of the little tiny-dicked men on this board referring to me as a bitch because I've whupped his ass in a debate.

Last edited:

I don't think you understand the term racism.

rac·ism
   [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Racism is negatively stereotyping other people on the basis of race or displaying hate/intolerance of an individual or group on the basis of their race.

The n-word is a racial slur, but it isn't necessarily racist. Whether it is racist or not would depend on the context in which it is used.

It's kind of like the term "bitch."

I have a couple of friends who'll occasionally use the term in a joking way, directed a me, i.e., "bitch, please." That's very different from one of the little tiny-dicked men on this board referring to me as a bitch because I've whupped his ass in a debate.

To your point 3 in bold....the words another race....

Again....how is it "racist" if it a black person is saying it to another black person?

There has to be context with the statement. That is my only point in terms of ravi's OP.

Again....how is it "racist" if it a black person is saying it to another black person?

If a black person is making negative generalizations about people on the basis of their race, he/she is being a racist.

It doesn't matter if those negative generalizations are about your own race. It's most common for people to be racist about members of other races, but it can definitely happen within races.

For instance, interracial conflicts between dark-skinned blacks and light-skinned blacks have occurred quite frequently throughout history. Dark-skinned blacks have historically been subjected to pretty harsh treatment by lighter skinned blacks, and vice versa.

High yellow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Similarly, a lot of blacks can be quite nasty to bi-racial kids.

If a black person is making negative generalizations about people on the basis of their race, he/she is being a racist.

It doesn't matter if those negative generalizations are about your own race. It's most common for people to be racist about members of other races, but it can definitely happen within races.

For instance, interracial conflicts between dark-skinned blacks and light-skinned blacks have occurred quite frequently throughout history. Dark-skinned blacks have historically been subjected to pretty harsh treatment by lighter skinned blacks, and vice versa.

interesting wording...

I know blacks are racist even among themselves.

Look at your definition that you provided. The third one specifically. It clearly says....hatred or intolerance of another race

Context matters

Look at your definition that you provided. The third one specifically. It clearly says....hatred or intolerance of another race

Context matters

There are 3 definitions. The type of racism we're quibbling about would fit definition #1.

Hope that helps! ;)

interesting wording...

Que?

Context matters

There are 3 definitions. The type of racism we're quibbling about would fit definition #1.

Hope that helps! ;)

And the what i meant fits #3

:tongue:

Forum List

Back