CDZ Is this fraud or force?

grbb

VIP Member
Oct 15, 2016
Libertarians say that as long as you are not forcing or committing any fraud you do not do anything wrong.

Recently there is a case in Indonesia. Someone put cyanide in ones' drink, and offer the drink to her friends.

She doesn't force the friend to drink.
She never says that the drink is not poisonous.

So she does neither force or fraud.

What's the libertarian view on this?

There are many cases like this. Important terms are often pretty hidden. Car sellers do not disclose lemon. And so on and so on.

How to deal with this?

I am not saying that government should get involved. In that indonesian case, the person doesn't get convicted of fraud. She is convicted of murder. Quite simply. I do not think she is crazy enough to put a defense that her offers are legitimate "sales" tactic.

However many products are sold that way. An insurance agent can claim that everything is invested, even though 50% of money goes to fees. For example. Search unit link should you wish to know more.

Libertarians say that as long as you are not forcing or committing any fraud you do not do anything wrong.

Recently there is a case in Indonesia. Someone put cyanide in ones' drink, and offer the drink to her friends.

She doesn't force the friend to drink.
She never says that the drink is not poisonous.

So she does neither force or fraud.

What's the libertarian view on this?

There are many cases like this. Important terms are often pretty hidden. Car sellers do not disclose lemon. And so on and so on.

How to deal with this?

I am not saying that government should get involved. In that indonesian case, the person doesn't get convicted of fraud. She is convicted of murder. Quite simply. I do not think she is crazy enough to put a defense that her offers are legitimate "sales" tactic.

However many products are sold that way. An insurance agent can claim that everything is invested, even though 50% of money goes to fees. For example. Search unit link should you wish to know more.
I would think that a Libertarian would say this is a crime, because it is one person purposely trying to cause harm to another.

So the law would then be appropriate, as well as punishment.

I think they're strong on law enforcement and the rights of people to be protected from harm.

What about another case

An insurance agent claim that everything is the whole thing is investment. Basically the insurance agent is selling an investment where 100% of the money is gone for fees. Very common in insurance industry.

If the client is super careful, he can read about the fee. 100% of basic premi is gone for acquisition fee. However, it's very difficult to find where the basic premi is located.

The insurance companies are well aware of this scam and they let their agent do it anyway. Anything goes wrong they blame the agent.

There is a law that customers have 14 days to review the product. Insurance company then take advantage of the law by putting more information within that 14 days. So customers are "notified". Obviously agents can simply not notify the customer of that 14 days rule and the customers are not aware that they have something important to check AFTER they sent the money.

Forum List

Back