Is there ANYthing to religion or faith that is something OTHER than opinion?

O.k. - I give up on 'evidence' of religion being other than opinion - is it the humble opinion of anyone that religion is other than opinion?

I have been shown my faith. I am sorry you haven't but I won't loose any sleep over it. "I would rather live my life as it there was a God and die and find out there isn't that to live as if there were no God and die and find out there is"

I have been shown my faith. I am sorry you haven't but I won't loose any sleep over it. "I would rather live my life as it there was a God and die and find out there isn't that to live as if there were no God and die and find out there is"
fine sentiment ,but no real proof.

Why don't you experiment on the Word and find out brother?

If by 'Word' you mean The Bible, I've read the good parts, including all of The New Testament, and found it lacking anything other than opinion.

Written so long after the events, even the words written in red are nothing more than the opinion of what someone else thought he heard Jesus say, which may or may not have been modified or spun to support a political or religious position. The internet in general and USMB in particular are living proof of what humans are capable of doing to the truth when it comes to moving their ideology along.

What, if anything, about religion or faith is other than a matter of opinion? I'm baffled and I'm smart. Religion can't possibly be this easy to simply write off.

Why don't you experiment on the Word and find out brother?
what kind of experiment ?since faith is a pov the only workable experiment imo would be claims of "miracles"

Miracles come the closest, but without independent corroboration, they're just the opinion of one man who proved only that he was smart enough to write his story down.

The truth cares not about the opinions of man.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

I can only speak for myself:

I'm going to remain as flexible as is possible in my opinions as new evidence becomes available for inspection.

But that's just me - feeling like I only get one shot at life makes me live it a bit differently than my friends who believe that they're 'just passin' through' on their way to a heaven.

Not sure if this qualifies as "Religion" per se, but a lot of what we know of early civilization comes from the Old Testament.

funny how much time people spend trying to prove that something they don't believe in doesn't exist....

Numerous people/places/etc described in the Bible have already been verified beyond any reasonable doubt as fact. Research it if you don't believe me.

PS and oh btw I am not trying to "preach." The tenets of a religion are something altogether different than the details, facts, or "bits n bytes" about it. This is why I can't help but :rolleyes: when people nit-pick about this or that detail in the Bible (not saying anyone here is per se; a general comment). The details generally don't matter. The intent, the message, the teachings do.

Forum List

Back