Is there ANYthing to religion or faith that is something OTHER than opinion?

Not sure if this qualifies as "Religion" per se, but a lot of what we know of early civilization comes from the Old Testament.
ahhh.. that would be early middle eastern civilization ...there were many thriving civilizations in other parts of the world at that time...

Numerous people/places/etc described in the Bible have already been verified beyond any reasonable doubt as fact. Research it if you don't believe me.

PS and oh btw I am not trying to "preach." The tenets of a religion are something altogether different than the details, facts, or "bits n bytes" about it. This is why I can't help but :rolleyes: when people nit-pick about this or that detail in the Bible (not saying anyone here is per se; a general comment). The details generally don't matter. The intent, the message, the teachings do.

Jesus has not been proven to have ever existed.

Much of the old testament is history.

Numerous people/places/etc described in the Bible have already been verified beyond any reasonable doubt as fact. Research it if you don't believe me.

PS and oh btw I am not trying to "preach." The tenets of a religion are something altogether different than the details, facts, or "bits n bytes" about it. This is why I can't help but :rolleyes: when people nit-pick about this or that detail in the Bible (not saying anyone here is per se; a general comment). The details generally don't matter. The intent, the message, the teachings do.

Jesus has not been proven to have ever existed.

Much of the old testament is history.
neither has Noah,John the Baptist,ECT..
after the Constantinople editing of the stories that make up the bible it lacks credibility.

Not sure if this qualifies as "Religion" per se, but a lot of what we know of early civilization comes from the Old Testament.

History.....

:eusa_think:

Nope. Still basically the opinion of the reporter.

Gotta love having lots and lots of reporters to choose from too, if you want to form an opinion on something that occurred in the past.

funny how much time people spend trying to prove that something they don't believe in doesn't exist....

I'm just an observer here to save the fucking world by asking questions. You don't have to read them.

That's my opinion.

I'm not not here to pick on Jesus, although my familiarity with The New Testament far surpasses that of The Koran, so there's where my examples are gonna come from.... I'm curious if any aspect of any religion is other than opinion :dunno:

:eusa_think: Now I'm getting curious as to whether or not faith being simply a matter of opinion matters.....

O.k. you're right. They were human.

They lived and breathed and cussed and fucked and sweated and ate and cried and bled and loved and they walked on rocks.

Except once.

Do you believe?

Why?

Unless you post a video, a relic or overwhelming historical documentation, it's just you deciding your opinion is to agree with the opinion and observations of the writer. And the writer in this case is putting pen to a story told to him by someone else.

In my opinion it's bullshit.

:cool: I'm betting on "no."

I'm a person of faith. I don't care what you do or don't believe. But obviously you care about what others believe.
Hey! You're just like those Right Wing fundamentalist Southern Baptists! They really care about what others believe too!
I bet you really appreciate them! :eusa_angel:

:cool: I'm betting on "no."

I'm a person of faith. I don't care what you do or don't believe. But obviously you care about what others believe.
Hey! You're just like those Right Wing fundamentalist Southern Baptists! They really care about what others believe too!

Of course I care!

Have you ever tried to get a beer on Sunday or find a little something sweet to smoke in the middle of downtown Right Wing fundamentalist Southern Baptists town?

:eek: It's like finding a cheap date for a quick blow job in Saudi Arabia for Christ sake!

Those bastards believe that my behavior is making their god mad. So what?!?

It's stupid and I care, but it's FREEDOM that I care about! The freedom for every man, woman and child in America to have their own fucking opinion, about everything from weed to boys kissing boys to Jesus and the 12 Apostles without fear of having stupid laws passed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tza4AR6X8IM]Stir It Up - Bob Marley 02 - YouTube[/ame]

Of course I care!

Have you ever tried to get a beer on Sunday or find a little something sweet to smoke in the middle of downtown Right Wing fundamentalist Southern Baptists town?

:eek: It's like finding a cheap date for a quick blow job in Saudi Arabia for Christ sake!

Those bastards believe that my behavior is making their god mad. So what?!?

It's stupid and I care, but it's FREEDOM that I care about! The freedom for every man, woman and child in America to have their own fucking opinion, about everything from weed to boys kissing boys to Jesus and the 12 Apostles without fear of having stupid laws passed.

I can get a beer on Sunday. I can't get pot anywhere legally I know of - that's due to the Alcohol Lobby more than anything else though. They have some serious lobbying dollars. I don't know anywhere that you can't go kiss a boy if you want to.

So I suppose there are places that beer must be bought on Saturdays. Oooh. Thou art oppressed!
So was your thread intended to simply attack the existence of faith or try express that you are a victim of oppression because your beer / weed / boy-kissing has been limited by those of faith?

They lived and breathed and cussed and fucked and sweated and ate and cried and bled and loved and they walked on rocks.

Except once.

Do you believe?

Why?

Unless you post a video, a relic or overwhelming historical documentation, it's just you deciding your opinion is to agree with the opinion and observations of the writer. And the writer in this case is putting pen to a story told to him by someone else.

In my opinion lol @ this blatant idiocy. I could say that about anything. In fact even if I had a video, a relic or "overwhelming historical documentation," some wouldn't believe it anyway as anything can be rationalized/spin doctored away if you want to badly enough, and that can be said for many other (in fact most) things. So?

I can't believe I wasted any time on this thread. oh well enjoy

Except once.

Do you believe?

Why?

In my opinion lol @ this blatant idiocy. I could say that about anything. In fact even if I had a video, a relic or "overwhelming historical documentation," some wouldn't believe it anyway as anything can be rationalized/spin doctored away if you want to badly enough, and that can be said for many other (in fact most) things. So?

I can't believe I wasted any time on this thread. oh well enjoy

Ah Grasshopper... you have learned.

Why don't you experiment on the Word and find out brother?

If by 'Word' you mean The Bible, I've read the good parts, including all of The New Testament, and found it lacking anything other than opinion.

Written so long after the events, even the words written in red are nothing more than the opinion of what someone else thought he heard Jesus say, which may or may not have been modified or spun to support a political or religious position. The internet in general and USMB in particular are living proof of what humans are capable of doing to the truth when it comes to moving their ideology along.

What, if anything, about religion or faith is other than a matter of opinion? I'm baffled and I'm smart. Religion can't possibly be this easy to simply write off.

That's my opinion on religion. Blindly following a dogma established by ancient and modern clerics based on their opinion of old books.

For those of you who blindly follow what you believe in your heart, soul and mind to be God, kudos - and I can honestly say I'm a little jealous of some of y'all... not about having a God, about having a god with a name. That's one thing I miss about me when I was AVG-JesusFreaK.

:beer: Good times!

Why don't you experiment on the Word and find out brother?

If by 'Word' you mean The Bible, I've read the good parts, including all of The New Testament, and found it lacking anything other than opinion.

Written so long after the events, even the words written in red are nothing more than the opinion of what someone else thought he heard Jesus say, which may or may not have been modified or spun to support a political or religious position. The internet in general and USMB in particular are living proof of what humans are capable of doing to the truth when it comes to moving their ideology along.

What, if anything, about religion or faith is other than a matter of opinion? I'm baffled and I'm smart. Religion can't possibly be this easy to simply write off.

That's my opinion on religion. Blindly following a dogma established by ancient and modern clerics based on their opinion of old books.

For those of you who blindly follow what you believe in your heart, soul and mind to be God, kudos - and I can honestly say I'm a little jealous of some of y'all... not about having a God, about having a god with a name. That's one thing I miss about me when I was AVG-JesusFreaK.

You could just see if certain principles of a religion work in your own life. You already do that, as far as I can see.

I can see it in how you treat other people.

You could just see if certain principles of a religion work in your own life. You already do that, as far as I can see.

I can see it in how you treat other people.

I've always been of the opinion that my years serving Jesus were not entirely wasted.

Myth or Man he's portrayed as a reasonably nice fellow. I had worse role models growing up.... always weird when you discover their humanity for the first time.

Forum List

Back