Is there ANYthing to religion or faith that is something OTHER than opinion?

That's my opinion on religion. Blindly following a dogma established by ancient and modern clerics based on their opinion of old books.

For those of you who blindly follow what you believe in your heart, soul and mind to be God, kudos - and I can honestly say I'm a little jealous of some of y'all... not about having a God, about having a god with a name. That's one thing I miss about me when I was AVG-JesusFreaK.

:beer: Good times!

You could just see if certain principles of a religion work in your own life. You already do that, as far as I can see.

I can see it in how you treat other people.

I've always been of the opinion that my years serving Jesus were not entirely wasted.

Myth or Man he's portrayed as a reasonably nice fellow. I had worse role models growing up.... always weird when you discover their humanity for the first time.

How about santa claus? He is quite a jolly fellow now. :)

That's my opinion on religion. Blindly following a dogma established by ancient and modern clerics based on their opinion of old books.

For those of you who blindly follow what you believe in your heart, soul and mind to be God, kudos - and I can honestly say I'm a little jealous of some of y'all... not about having a God, about having a god with a name. That's one thing I miss about me when I was AVG-JesusFreaK.

:beer: Good times!

You could just see if certain principles of a religion work in your own life. You already do that, as far as I can see.

I've always been of the opinion that my years serving Jesus were not entirely wasted.

Myth or Man he's portrayed as a reasonably nice fellow. I had worse role models growing up.... always weird when you discover their humanity for the first time.

I credit Catholicism with teaching me ethics. I suspect there are plenty of other ways to learn ethics.

Numerous people/places/etc described in the Bible have already been verified beyond any reasonable doubt as fact. Research it if you don't believe me.

PS and oh btw I am not trying to "preach." The tenets of a religion are something altogether different than the details, facts, or "bits n bytes" about it. This is why I can't help but :rolleyes: when people nit-pick about this or that detail in the Bible (not saying anyone here is per se; a general comment). The details generally don't matter. The intent, the message, the teachings do.

Jesus has not been proven to have ever existed.

Much of the old testament is history.

True, but much of history is NOT the Old Testament.

At least from a global perspective.​

:eusa_think:

:cool: I'm betting on "no."

A disciplined life has its advantages. Religion is effective in that regard. A dedication to daily prayer for example can help one be prepared to work harder in other challenges requiring will power.

That's amazing!

You found it!

You found THE thing about religion that is other than opinion!

Religion and common beliefs caused humans to organize with common goals. Warped as it is, religion is one tool that evolution and time are using to carve a Sentient World out of a random living planet.

If earth is our mother, our fathers are time and luck.

Ain't life cool? :cool:

I credit Catholicism with teaching me ethics. I suspect there are plenty of other ways to learn ethics.

Even The M:eusa_shifty:b has ethics.

It's professional L:eek:bbyists who I think are the devil!​

A disciplined life has its advantages. Religion is effective in that regard. A dedication to daily prayer for example can help one be prepared to work harder in other challenges requiring will power.

That's amazing!

You found it!

Religion and common beliefs caused humans to organize with common goals. Warped as it is, religion is one tool that evolution and time are using to carve a Sentient World out of a random living planet.

Really? I suppose rationalizing killing the unbelievers "over there" is some kind of organizing principle, but not one I'd consider particularly constructive ... or cool. :cool:

I think common language "caused humans to organize with common goals." At least a common language is far more effective. According to the Bible at least, I'm right about that--scared the self-satisfied omnipotence right out of Yahweh; those common-language-speaking-tower-building nut-cases for whom nothing would be impossible.

Yet religion's role in organizing humans shouldn't dismissed--it is historically an effective tool used by those with over-developed senses of entitlement, to subjugate their fellows to the will of some farcical "Supreme" Smurf (whose will coincidentally, is consistent with and the source of the authority to subjugate others).

So it does have that going for it.

And faith? Well, faith is far more than I gave it credit for earlier in this thread, and it is certainly much more that mere opinion.

Faith is really just an exercise in denials of reality. Faith is the conviction of certainty in the of the reality of some thing for which support in evidence and/or valid logic of the contrary has been denied; the persistently obtuse strength of that denial is the "validating" quality of faith.

It is the necessary ingredient of any religion used by authoritarian chuckle-heads to subjugate the wills of superstitious chuckle-heads to their chuckle-headed ends.

Oh yeah. Hi! :popcorn:

That's amazing!

You found it!

Really? I suppose rationalizing killing the unbelievers "over there" is some kind of organizing principle, but not one I'd consider particularly constructive ... or cool. :cool:

I think common language "caused humans to organize with common goals." At least a common language is far more effective. According to the Bible at least, I'm right about that--scared the self-satisfied omnipotence right out of Yahweh; those common-language-speaking-tower-building nut-cases for whom nothing would be impossible.

Yet religion's role in organizing humans shouldn't dismissed--it is historically an effective tool used by those with over-developed senses of entitlement, to subjugate their fellows to the will of some farcical "Supreme" Smurf (whose will coincidentally, is consistent with and the source of the authority to subjugate others).

And faith? Well, faith is far more than I gave it credit for earlier in this thread, and it is certainly much more that mere opinion.

Faith is really just an exercise in denials of reality. Faith is the conviction of certainty in the of the reality of some thing for which support in evidence and/or valid logic of the contrary has been denied; the persistently obtuse strength of that denial is the "validating" quality of faith.

It is the necessary ingredient of any religion used by authoritarian chuckle-heads to subjugate the wills of superstitious chuckle-heads to their chuckle-headed ends.

I'll bet you $1 that the first group construction project was some sort of alter.

And the 'death by religion' factor is what I meant when I said religion was a warped tool.

But hey... so far we're surviving, eh?

Last edited:
And you're right about faith, LOki - I should have left that out of the title. Faith is the consummate opinion...... Shared faith is larger than the sum of its parts and therefore dangerous.

Of course not. If it was something other than an opinion it would not be faith. That's what I think the anti-religious folks don't get. 'Knowing' that the Bible is absolute truth, for example, would entirely defeat the purpose.

Of course not. If it was something other than an opinion it would not be faith. That's what I think the anti-religious folks don't get. 'Knowing' that the Bible is absolute truth, for example, would entirely defeat the purpose.

What do you mean, Bern? I know people who believe with all their heart, soul & mind that every word of The Bible is Divinely inspired and they're scared that something will come along to cause a question.

I think if it came with a miracle that proved it's connection to the god it describes would be very comforting to followers. Genuine miracle confirmation would also make people like me see The Bible differently - it would have to.

What do you mean, Bern? I know people who believe with all their heart, soul & mind that every word of The Bible is Divinely inspired and they're scared that something will come along to cause a question.

I think if it came with a miracle that proved it's connection to the god it describes would be very comforting to followers. Genuine miracle confirmation would also make people like me see The Bible differently - it would have to.

Let me paraphrase this by saying I'm not really a religous person at all. This is just my theory and what makes sense to me.

What I mean is most religons preach about having faith. Faith is a belief in something without evidence for its existence. We can use parts of christianity as an example to start. Even that's hard to do becauseit is a religion that has been totally bastardized and politicized by the various denominations (but mainly the catholics). Anywho just taking the essential notion that there's this deity Jesus Christ, who wants us to have faith in him, what he died and rose for, that there's life after death, heaven, etc., those are things we are told he wants us to have faith in. That is very different from wanting us to KNOW with absolute verifiable fact, that those concepts really did happen and really do exist. IMO, if such a deity exists, he doesn't want us to KNOW he exists. He wants us to have faith that he exists. He wants us to see the value in trusting in something that you can't neccessarily verify as truth.

Last edited:
That's amazing!

You found it!

I'll bet you $1 that the first group construction project was some sort of alter.

And the 'death by religion' factor is what I meant when I said religion was a warped tool.

But hey... so far we're surviving, eh?

So far the oldest structure is about 75,000 years old and was not an altar.

Adam's Calender - A Rich and Diverse History of Humanity

Imagine that, it was actually an engineering/science project.

Forum List

Back