Is there a Reasonable Objection to Increasing the Physical Security in Schools?

Too many people don't give a crap about kids these days. My own people--conservatives--make this plain when they will sacrifice the well-being of children, essentially wanting prison camps for them, for fear that any gun restrictions be put in place.

THAT is what this is really about. And I'm not even for restricting gun rights either. But this is ridiculous.
I suppose we are all going to have to rely on statistics for comfort: probably none of us will be shot by an insane mass murderer shooter, whether a tranny or not. I think it makes sense to avoid crowds now --- so much for Fourth of July parades, as big public gatherings are occasional targets. And to keep alert for trouble in soft targets like malls and supermarkets, really all places of public assembly. However, if we take reasonable precautions, we're not very likely to be shot by the crazies. Some will; some children will. I don't see any way to stop this unless there are big changes in the way this country is organized. I am in favor of executing all serious criminals quickly ---- I think that would drastically less crime as it would kill off the repeters and deter many of the rest.

But that's just a utopia until there is a big split up of the country or something else really drastic. So in these present circumstances, I think we have to stop worrying about solving the problem and learn to live with it.

There are many effective and unobtrusive security measures that can be taken.

The most obvious is replacing all entry and exit doors with robust steel doors with a multiple point locking system AND KEPPING THEM LOCKED
Others include better control of who is allowed to enter the school, security cameras, bullet resistant laminates on all exterior glass
Thanks genius, but those have been thought of already.

I'm at a loss to know why we have not done this nationwide.

That person with a mental disorder got into a school to kill children by shooting out a glass side door and walking in. If she had shot out the side door of a courthouse and killed three judges, I can assure you states would be screaming for federal funding for either bulletproof glass, bars on doors and windows, or most likely both. Plus metal detectors, security screenings, and armed police trained to deal with active shooters. Same if they had shot up a government-funded Arts Center hosting a ballet, or a library, or a tax office.

Why are our children less precious?

Would some people be calling to crack down on gun ownership? Of course. Would people be sussing out the political motives in order to tar the other side with the crime of the killer? Absolutely? But - knowing that they aren't ever going to regulate guns out of existance, nor shame their political foes out of existance - they would demand barriers to stop future shootings.

What is it about schoolchildren that some of us don't mind leaving them just as vulnerable as ever, no matter how many Columbines we've had in the nearly 24 years since the original Columbine?

Hoping to get responses especially from those who think hardening the security at schools isn't the way to go.

Far and away the biggest thing stopping it is money.

Most school barely scrape by now, who is going to pay for all of this?

Do you think the locals will agree to an increase in their property taxes to pay for it all?

Far and away the biggest thing stopping it is money.

Most school barely scrape by now, who is going to pay for all of this?

Do you think the locals will agree to an increase in their property taxes to pay for it all?
If it were a stand alone tax increase to be spent only on school security, absolutely.

By that would be unecessary. Districts spend a lot of money on all kinds of nonessential things like travelling for professional development, team building outings, and consultants for standardized test prep. Not many elected school boards will say those things are more important than keeping kids alive.

I'll bet if they did a study they would find test scores drop after a school shooting. That should convince those who still are so fanatical about standardized testing.

EDIT

I just looked and found several such studies. I'll link them later. One study also said that spending per student goes up after a school shooting, because of course they decide that it is worth it to upgrade security. You know now that every horse is out of the barn let's make sure we close it tight.

I've never heard of a school that had two different Mass shootings. I don't know if that's because each shooting is unique and the probability of unique events unlikely to happen at the same school at two different times is low, or if the increase security makes the School shooters pick another target. Either way Common Sense would be to upgrade security now, and not wait for a shooting and then upgrade security to prevent the next one.

Last edited:
Thanks genius, but those have been thought of already.
Uncle charlie, he said that those things were obvious. He was not trying to take credit for an original idea. He, like me, was wondering why we are not doing these very obvious things to protect our children.

Uncle charlie, he said that those things were obvious. He was not trying to take credit for an original idea. He, like me, was wondering why we are not doing these very obvious things to protect our children.
Most schools in dangerous areas ARE already doing these things, genius. They are not doing MORE of it because a few years back someone decided it was "racist" to do so. They really did.

Most schools in dangerous areas ARE already doing these things, genius. They are not doing MORE of it because a few years back someone decided it was "racist" to do so. They really did.
Yeah? For once they were right like the proverbial stopped clock. Why would they only want to harden the inner city schools?

Because they're all gangstas? Because it's okay to inconvenience black kids but not white kids? Or because white politicians are more easily convinced that black schools are dangerous?

No no they need to harden the schools for everyone. If you somehow think white kids are more important than black kids, all the more reason why you should make sure that they are protected.

Dead kids don't learn. You save no money by skimping on security.

Last edited:
Yeah? For once they were right. Why would they only want to harden the inner city schools? ....

Why would they only want to hire lifeguards at the beach? Why not the top of Mt. Washington, or the middle of the Gobi Desert?

Yeah? For once they were right. Why would they only want to harden the inner city schools? Because they're all gangstas? Because it's okay to inconvenience black kids but not white kids? ...

You think there are no white kids at inner city schools?

Why would they only want to hire lifeguards at the beach? Why not the top of Mt. Washington, or the middle of the Gobi Desert?
Nobody drowned in the middle of the Gobi desert. When they can say nobody gets shot in the middle of a public school, then we can laugh about how dumb it would be to provide security.

You think there are no white kids at inner city schools?
You are the one who brought up race for some bizarre reason. Feel free to explain what the heck you are talking about then.

Know what's inconvenient? Getting shot.
Yes, a lot more inconvenient than enhancing security by installing metal detectors solid doors, and serious armed security. Those security need to be trained better.

Today, two days after a woman got into a school by shooting out a glass door, I noticed that our school resource officer sits at a desk in front of two glass doors separated by about 15 ft of floor to ceiling glass window. Sitting there on his phone, with his back to the glass. He's not protecting school kids from a similar shooting, other than by volunteering to take the first several bullets himself.

Clearly we are still not serious about school security. I believe that it is because we keep looking for political advantage in each one. The anti-gun idiots love it when one happens. I hate to say but some of the anti-trans folx on here seem pretty gleeful about having a chance to bash trannies.

Time to realize that there is so much Insanity in the human race now, that we need to either protect our children or stop Gathering them in one place.

Nobody drowned in the middle of the Gobi desert.

I'm sure a few people have sometime stumbled upon an oasis, knelt down to get a drink, fell in and drowned. Very rarely, over a long period of time.

Do you get it yet?

Yes, a lot more inconvenient than enhancing security by installing metal detectors solid doors, .....

I already told you that the kind of schools in the inner city you were talking about already HAVE those things.

I'm sure a few people have sometime stumbled upon an oasis, knelt down to get a drink, fell in and drowned. Very rarely, over a long period of time.

Do you get it yet?
No.

Why don't you try saying what you mean?
No I'm not, YOU are. I was responding to YOUR post.
I said nothing about race in my post, until you did.
I already told you that the kind of schools in the inner city you were talking about already HAVE those things.
I said nothing about inner city schools particularly until you did.

Y'all should know, I when I worked at a very tough school in a very tough part of a very tough town (even more so than where I work now - by a little) and all students had to pass through a metal detector to get into the school in the morning and there were four armed, uniformed police permanently on campus at all times (along with 7 additional security personnel) students still got guns, knives and drugs into the school all the time.
I guess this is what you were talking about. YOU brought up your "tough" school. I was talking about all schools, schools in general, and specifically about random mass shooting kind of violence, not gang/drug violence.

Of course, gang and drug violence is a big problem along with people driven insane and targetting the public schools. For both, more security is needed.

If students got guns into the school "all the time," then they were not taking the measures seriously. All it takes to overcome a ten million dollar security system is a custodian who props the door open with a broom while they take the trash out. That kind of thing needs to be caught by administrators and the custodian fired until people learn.

I said nothing about race in my post, until you did.

That's a lie.

Post #27 - YOU

Lord, Uncle Charlie. Are you half in the bag?

Here is post #27, and your post that I was replying to.

1680141766136.png

So, I said nothing about race in my post until you did.

I loved school when I was a kid. I didn't like getting whacked in the butt or smacked on the knuckles, but the structure is what students need to have to thrive at a young age.

I'd rather have my head banged into a chalkboard by a teacher than to have a fellow student pull a shiv on me in the boys room or cafeteria, like they had in public school.

You had sadists for "teachers". Let's be honest.

Forum List

Back