Is Teaching a respected Profession in This country?

Teaching a respected Profession in the United States?

• yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • no

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters
By parents & adults, I'd say Yes. Students, no.

I want to teach someday, maybe in 30 years, after I retire, at either a College or a Academy. I do not ever want to teach at a public school, I have grown up never setting foot in a 'private' institution but from what I've heard, much better off teaching at one, punishment here is a joke. You send a student to either:

A) ISS
B) A-School

Either way, their just going to be with other students, some worse then them, and have a great old time. I've been in ISS it's basically silence and write-off's for hours and hours, but to be honest, it doesn't change people.

In this day, I would never recommend teaching to anyone. Don't do it.

The Right despises educators because it's the educators who spill the Beans, with evil tales, like,

the earth is not really 6000 years old,

and all the world's wisdom did not really come from a magic apple given to a naked woman,

by a talking snake.

Nope. As a group they are average people.

No. The average American does not have a 4 or 6 year college degree, with specific training for a specific profession, and is working in that profession.

Teachers are well above 'average'.

and to think... some of us have health insurance and a retirement account without having a bachelors degree, or doing anything particularly meaningful

...just sayin'

yeah, health insurance is a extraordinary benefit, when it's being paid for off the backs of us working stiffs taxpayers.

How much did you pay in state/federal income tax this year?

I would tell you if I thought it was any of your FRIGGEN BUSINESS.

You made your taxes the board's business when you complained about them on the board.

Comon, at least make up a big number that makes it look like you actually pay taxes.

My first teaching contract back in the mid 90's was at a school in rural SW Missouri. I cleared $1,150 a month, and it was cheaper to be on my husband's insurance. However, I went into the teaching profession with my eyes wide open, and never expected to get rich from teaching. Imagine my amazement when I found out there were parts of the country where teachers were making triple my salary, and not for triple the cost of living. Aside from that, the union bosses are some of the greediest assholes in this country, and cloak themselves as "do-gooders" for the workers.

I think one way to judge the character of a teacher is to ask them what they think of two things:
1) The dept. of Education
2) Teachers unions
I honestly don't think I could do it. I couldn't stand to bear the shackles of the DoE nor the hyper political sensitive administrators.

And how would those questions judge the character of a teacher? OR would it be more...see if that teacher agrees with you or not?

The Right despises educators because it's the educators who spill the Beans, with evil tales, like,

the earth is not really 6000 years old,

and all the world's wisdom did not really come from a magic apple given to a naked woman,

by a talking snake.

holy moly. did your teachers teach you all this.?:lol::cuckoo:

No. The average American does not have a 4 or 6 year college degree, with specific training for a specific profession, and is working in that profession.

and to think... some of us have health insurance and a retirement account without having a bachelors degree, or doing anything particularly meaningful

...just sayin'

Every conservative on this board has great health insurance, remember the healthcare debate? They all LOVE the pre-Obamacare status quo.

You are right. Most just people aren't stupid enough to go to school for 4 years (and enter into massive debt obligations) merely to earn a piece of paper that entiitles them to make essentially the same wages that you can make at the Post office - with no college debt. Yeah, a really smart group there.....:cuckoo:

I amend my statement. Teachers, as a group, are below average. :lol:

I want to teach someday, maybe in 30 years, after I retire, at either a College or a Academy. I do not ever want to teach at a public school, I have grown up never setting foot in a 'private' institution but from what I've heard, much better off teaching at one, punishment here is a joke. You send a student to either:

A) ISS
B) A-School

Either way, their just going to be with other students, some worse then them, and have a great old time. I've been in ISS it's basically silence and write-off's for hours and hours, but to be honest, it doesn't change people.

I am 18 years old bud, I still have a LONG time before I'd even be able to teach, so I'll make up my mind then, for now, I have to get ready for Basic lol.

You are right. Most just people aren't stupid enough to go to school for 4 years (and enter into massive debt obligations) merely to earn a piece of paper that entiitles them to make essentially the same wages that you can make at the Post office - with no college debt. Yeah, a really smart group there.....:cuckoo:

Five years....

Five years....

5 years = exceptionally dumb.

Amendment amended: Teachers, as a group, are well below average.

Five years....

5 years = exceptionally dumb.

Amendment amended: Teachers, as a group, are well below average.

I would agree. If you pay people far less than they could make it other fields, why would they go into education?

Teaching as we know it, is going to go the way of the Dodo bird. The internet explosion eliminates the need for massive facilities (baby sitting anyone?) , adminstration, school lunches, etc.. One teacher can teach millions of kids how to read. One teacher can teach millions of children how to do arithmatic. The student of the future will log on from home - watch a video lesson and take a test. They will even be able to ask questions and get answers to their questions (an added bonus is that the answers will be correct!). It will be efficient, effectivie, and far less costly.

Anyone considering a career in education should reconsider...

Last edited:

A) ISS
B) A-School

Why, because they are now being held accountable for their role in our lousy public education system?

Because PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS who take students to mosques and allow the students to pray are being held accountable.....Because PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS who shove their politics down the throats of the children (MMM MMM MMM, Barack Hussein Obama), are being held accountable for such stupid shit.....Because a PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER showed the sexual parts of " BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN" last month to his class of thirteen year olds, thereby unleashing a firestorm from parents who aren't going to put up with that bullshit anymore?

Yeah, we know why, Bodecea.

Teaching as we know it, is going to go the way of the Dodo bird. The internet explosion eliminates the need for massive facilities (baby sitting anyone?) , adminstration, school lunches, etc.. One teacher can teach millions of kids how to read. One teacher can teach millions of children how to do arithmatic. The student of the future will log on from home - watch a video lesson and take a test. They will even be able to ask questions and get answers to their questions (ad added bonus is that the answers will be correct!). It will be efficient, effectivie, and far less costly.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, though things along those lines will become more common.

Because a PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER showed the sexual parts of " BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN" last month to his class of thirteen year olds, thereby unleashing a firestorm from parents who aren't going to put up with that bullshit anymore?

I'm probably going to regret this as I really do think public school teachers need to be held more accountable and when they screw up the union shouldn't be all about protecting bad teachers.

However the person in the classroom that showed Brokeback Mountain was not a regular teacher, the person was a substitute filling in for the regular teacher. Normally substitutes are not regular employees of the district (as in Full Time or Part Time). Typically they are temporary employees called in as needed to fill a vacancy when a teacher is required to be absent.

Again, I'm not excusing what happened, the person should definitely be permanently fired and barred from working in the classroom for displaying poor professionalism and the school district has responsibility for the actions of the substitute working that day.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271935,00.html

>>>>

Last edited:
Teaching as we know it, is going to go the way of the Dodo bird. The internet explosion eliminates the need for massive facilities (baby sitting anyone?) , adminstration, school lunches, etc.. One teacher can teach millions of kids how to read. One teacher can teach millions of children how to do arithmatic. The student of the future will log on from home - watch a video lesson and take a test. They will even be able to ask questions and get answers to their questions (ad added bonus is that the answers will be correct!). It will be efficient, effectivie, and far less costly.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, though things along those lines will become more common.

Who is going to keep the kids working at those internets?

Forum List

Back