Is Teaching a respected Profession in This country?

Teaching a respected Profession in the United States?

• yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • no

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Banned
I have many teachers in my family, both of my Grandmothers were teachers and of my father's family 3 out of 4 were teachers and out of my generation, 6 out of 14 are teachers with another 3 being nurses...and 2 firefighters. And then 2 of us military. We have public service in our bloodline.

And it is amazing to watch how in the last 20 years how teaching has come to be so denigrated. Why do we wonder at how we compare with other countries and cultures that respect education and educators?

After seeing the way the kids treat teachers in middle school and high school, my answer is no.

Exactly...and where do the students get that attitude towards their teachers and where to they learn NOT to value education?
:eusa_whistle:

From their parents and peers. When you instill a sense of entitlement in children, you do more harm than good.

I have many teachers in my family, both of my Grandmothers were teachers and of my father's family 3 out of 4 were teachers and out of my generation, 6 out of 14 are teachers with another 3 being nurses...and 2 firefighters. And then 2 of us military. We have public service in our bloodline.

And it is amazing to watch how in the last 20 years how teaching has come to be so denigrated. Why do we wonder at how we compare with other countries and cultures that respect education and educators?

How would you like it if all the doctors and nurses went on strike? Huh?

After seeing the way the kids treat teachers in middle school and high school, my answer is no.

Exactly...and where do the students get that attitude towards their teachers and where to they learn NOT to value education?
:eusa_whistle:

Well alot of the kids laugh at the teachers because they know the teachers have no real power over them, the teachers cannot grab, hit or even cuss at the students. The teachers are shooting blanks and the kids know that. I think Military Drill Instructors are needed at some of these schools.:eek:

Why the hell should teachers be more RESPECTED than the kid who works in McDonalds.

Teaching is a noble profession, but they CHOSE to go into that feild. So that doesn't make them any better or more important the the rest of the people.

sheeesh.

I say no...it is not. And the last few days certainly has helped prove my point.

Obviously teaching is a respected profession in this country. However, I believe there is more to your post than meets the eye.

Please forgive me if I am wrong, but I don't believe you can separate teaching and a teacher being a member of a union. They are obviously two completely different things. As I've mentioned before, I know dozens of private school teachers that are fantastic teachers and none of them are part of a union. If a teacher wants to be a member of a union, no problem, but not at the expense of doing their primary job. (For example, taking sick days and using students for their own gain is irresponsible IMO.) I'm still unsure as to why teacher unions are so important. Do teachers really have it that bad that they need to pay union dues for representation that they cannot get themselves?

I'm sorry...you seem to be under the impression that that has not happened before. It does. I blame your teachers for not teaching you how to research an assertion before making it.

I don't think it's fair to paint all teachers with a broad brush because you don't like unions. Each individual is different and I think for the most part teachers want to help kids.

I don't like the union, but that doesn't mean I should judge my nephew's history teacher based on that.

I'm sorry...you seem to be under the impression that that has not happened before. It does. I blame your teachers for not teaching you how to research an assertion before making it.

Not in Florida. We are a right to work state and Nurses cannot legally strike. Nurses care about their patients. Evidently teachers don't give a fuck about their kids otherwise they'd have their asses in the classroon teaching.

Why the hell should teachers be more RESPECTED than the kid who works in McDonalds.

Teaching is a noble profession, but they CHOSE to go into that feild. So that doesn't make them any better or more important the the rest of the people.

sheeesh.

There you have it...a sad product of a lazy teacher, I'm sure.

Kid at McDonalds = Teacher = ditchdigger = doctor = airline pilot = janitor = bus driver.

Lets pay them all the same.

Teaching is respected.

Unionizing in order to manipulate the political system for excessive benefits and pensions is not.

Not in Florida. We are a right to work state and Nurses cannot legally strike. Nurses care about their patients. Evidently teachers don't give a fuck about their kids otherwise they'd have their asses in the classroon teaching.

So, in Florida, nurses can be treated like crap (they often are) and they have no collective options to change their lot....sounds like a fun state to work in.

Of course teachers don't care about kids, Willow. :rolleyes: Teachers are in it for the money, don't you know?

Forum List

Back