Is it an Employer's Right to Discriminate?

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
It is often been said that conservatives are sexest because they believe in the traditional family of mom stay at home and father go to work. I don't really agree with that but, for argument sake, lets assume this is true. Isn't it someone's right to believe as they do and isn't it someone's personal choice as to what they think is right for their own life without having the PC police telling them otherwise. The next statement liberals make is that this violates someone's rights but how is this true when most conservatives who believe in this "lifestyle choice" usually do not seek laws mandating that to happen which allows a person to execute their personal choice as they see fit over their own lives regardless if that choice is deemed morally right or wrong by others.

The claim that someone's choice of how they want to live their life somehow violates your own choice to live your life differently such as not believing a woman's place is in her home is absurd because it is impossible for someone's independent will to violate your own will of how you should live your own life.

Now I suppose it can be argued that an employer who will not hire a woman because he believes women should stay home and raise kids violates a person's own belief that they shouldn't so the remedy is a law that forces the employers to hire that woman which violates his rights to conduct his life as he wishes.

I ask, at this point, who's rights are being violated by the law? Is it the woman's or is it the employers right to decide how they want to live their life (albeit for reasons most people don't agree with). It can be argued that, without the law, that the woman's rights are being violated but were her rights being violated by any action of the law?

This is where the real root of freedom exists and that is in the absence of law and if you think that the employers has to give up his freedom to be evil then every evil thing that people can do, such as adultry, has to be made illegal. It can be done for the same reason that the woman says it is her right to be treated fairly by an employer and that is it is her right to have a non-cheating husband so now adultry is a crime just like every other evil is which is another loss of freedom because someone believed they had a right over the behaviors of others.

Last edited:
It is often been said that conservatives are sexest because they believe in the traditional family of mom stay at home and father go to work. I don't really agree with that but, for argument sake, lets assume this is true. Isn't it someone's right to believe as they do and isn't it someone's personal choice as to what they think is right for their own life without having the PC police telling them otherwise. The next statement liberals make is that this violates someone's rights but how is this true when most conservatives who believe in this "lifestyle choice" usually do not seek laws mandating that to happen which allows a person to execute their personal choice as they see fit over their own lives regardless if that choice is deemed morally right or wrong by others.

I'm sorry....but, WHAT?

Now I suppose it can be argued that an employer who will not hire a woman because he believes women should stay home and raise kids violates a person's own belief that they shouldn't so the remedy is a law that forces the employers to hire that woman which violates his rights to conduct his life as he wishes.

This law exists because the employer's antiquated beliefs have absolutely NO bearing on whether or not the Mother is qualified to do the job. End of discussion.

Last edited:
  • Banned

I'm sorry....but, WHAT?

This law exists because the employer's antiquated beliefs have absolutely NO bearingon whether or not the Mother is qualified to do the job. End of discussion.

Again, the employers choice to hire whoever he/she wanted to was removed from them so what govt actions was violating someoene's rights?

I'm sorry....but, WHAT?

This law exists because the employer's antiquated beliefs have absolutely NO bearingon whether or not the Mother is qualified to do the job. End of discussion.

Again, the employers choice to hire whoever he/she wanted to was removed from them so what govt actions was violating someoene's rights?

Are you trying to say the employer's rights to hire on his beliefs trump the employees' rights to be hired on their qualifications?

• Banned
I'm sorry....but, WHAT?

Are you trying to say the employer's rights to hire on his beliefs trump the employees' rights to be hired on their qualifications?

I'm saying that an employer can hire anyone for any reason and discriminate based on any reason he wants even if that reason is really wrong to begin with because you do not have a right to be hired on your qualifications since it is the employer's choice to hire for whatever reason they want so whatever rights you have are ultmately transferred to you from the employer and the right for your employer to turn you into an obedient slave is ultmately transferred from you to the employer.

You right to be hired on your qualifications is not a right since it might violate the free action of an employers who chooses to hire for other reasons.

Last edited:
I'm sorry....but, WHAT?

Absolutely.

The owner of a business should be able to hire or not hire or fire or not fire anyone he wants.

Period.

I'm saying that an employer can hire anyone for any reason and discriminate based on any reason he wants even if that reason is really wrong to begin with because you do not have a right to be hired on your qualifications since it is the employer's choice to hire for whatever reason they want so whatever rights you have are ultmately transferred to you from the employer and the right for your employer to turn you into an obedient slave is ultmately transferred from you to the employer.

You right to be hired on your qualifications is not a right since it might violate the free action of an employers who chooses to hire for other reasons.

AWARD: Longest run-on sentence for 2010 so far.

of course an employer has the right to discriminate among candidates as long as they are not doing so regarding a specific, listed protected status. for instance, in many states an employer may not discriminate due to sex or religion but they can discriminate according to sexual identity since homosexuality is not a federally protected status.

This line of thinking is precisely why laws are needed.

Employers do have a right to discriminate and do so all the time.

They're just not allowed to (legally) discriminate based on race, gender, religion, and I think one or two more.

But they can certainly discriminate based on intelligence, personality, relocation, and even your favorite sports team or rock band.

Absolutely.

The owner of a business should be able to hire or not hire or fire or not fire anyone he wants.

Period.

...until someone notices that the business discriminates against a federally protected status. I do HR in an At Will state and, ironically, love it. Then again, I don't try to inject my personal politics into the hiring process when searching for the best candidate available.

Absolutely.

Period.

I agree. Even if the reasons are unfair to begin with.

Living in a free society pretty much means that someone else can live by their own moral beliefs. Thats why I am a "liberal" and think that these fair hiring laws should be removed.

Absolutely.

Period.

...until someone notices that the business discriminates against a federally protected status. I do HR in an At Will state and, ironically, love it. Then again, I don't try to inject my personal politics into the hiring process when searching for the best candidate available.

No one group should receive protections that another group does not.

If I want to hire only Blonds with big boobs, it's my business not the government's or anyone else's for that matter.

Absolutely.

Period.

No one group should receive protections that another group does not.

If I want to hire only Blonds with big boobs, it's my business not the government's or anyone else's for that matter.

feel free to take it to the supreme court. You might want to have a backup plan.

We tried that one guys and guess what happened?

It is very hard to run a country with large segments of the population is refused any decent means of providing for themselves.

Go study the history of the afrimative action.

Go study a little black history.

You will see the unfairness that was there and you will realize why these laws have to exsist.

Your society will rend its self from the inside out if you leave a segment of your population out of the economic loop.

This line of thinking is precisely why laws are needed.

Even if the laws that get created violate someone else's free will over the hiring practice.

Absolutely.

Period.

Living in a free society pretty much means that someone else can live by their own moral beliefs. Thats why I am a "liberal" and think that these fair hiring laws should be removed.

Look if anyone wants to hire people that are not the best candidate for any reason it's fine by me.

If some dyed in the wool racist refuses to hire a Black guy who cares? It leaves a good candidate for someone else to hire or not.

The only person a business owner like that is hurting is himself. If he's OK with it, why shouldn't I be.

Next thing you know is that the government will mandate that we all have a specific quota of friends from every racial group.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

Period.

Look if anyone wants to hire people that are not the best candidate for any reason it's fine by me.

If some dyed in the wool racist refuses to hire a Black guy who cares? It leaves a good candidate for someone else to hire or not.

Like I said.. feel free to take your case to the supreme court. don't mind me betting against your chances..

Like I said.. feel free to take your case to the supreme court. don't mind me betting against your chances..

The way things are and the way things should be never coexist.

Forum List

Back