Is Fox News a net positive or negative for the GOP?

In the aftermath of The Great GOP Meltdown of 2012, I've now seen a couple of articles asking this question as the party begins a little self-inspection. Wow, never would I have expected this.

(Well, at least SOME of the party is doing some self-inspection. The rest of it is doubling down, proudly remaining in abject denial. But that's for a different thread)

Fox played a big part in the party somehow convincing itself that Romney was going to win in a landslide. It essentially created an information cocoon for conservatives, where no light was getting in, where the bad information inside the cocoon was allowed to fester and grow. The result? Conservatives were shocked at the outcome; no one else was.

So would the GOP be better off if Fox never existed? Or if it changed its approach and stopped being such a weird cartoon act? Is Fox hurting the GOP?

(And by the way, don't divert to MSNBC. I agree it's gone completely over the cliff for the Left. This is about Fox, how it created its own little world, and why the Right was so stunned by the election results)

Conservatives were shocked at the outcome; no one else was

Says who?

So would the GOP be better off if Fox never existed? Or if it changed its approach and stopped being such a weird cartoon act? Is Fox hurting the GOP?

Would you ask the same questions of those networks that are most certainly in the tank for the left?

Honestly thinking people are safe and can weather the various TV influences that exist and will vote with intelligence.

The true problem is the lack of critical thinking from both parties.

Good grief.

"Says who"? Perhaps you were not paying attention to all the predictions of a Romney landslide by well-known Republicans, from Michael Barone to Karl Rove; perhaps you haven't seen that Romney himself and members of his own staff where shocked. Holy crap, come on.

"Would you ask the same questions of those networks that are most certainly in the tank for the left?" Did you not bother to read the last paragraph of my post about MSNBC? I have highlighted in red for you, above. I asked a direct question about Fox, and no one has been willing to give me a direct answer. Including you.

Last edited:

In the aftermath of The Great GOP Meltdown of 2012, I've now seen a couple of articles asking this question as the party begins a little self-inspection. Wow, never would I have expected this.

(Well, at least SOME of the party is doing some self-inspection. The rest of it is doubling down, proudly remaining in abject denial. But that's for a different thread)

Fox played a big part in the party somehow convincing itself that Romney was going to win in a landslide. It essentially created an information cocoon for conservatives, where no light was getting in, where the bad information inside the cocoon was allowed to fester and grow. The result? Conservatives were shocked at the outcome; no one else was.

(And by the way, don't divert to MSNBC. I agree it's gone completely over the cliff for the Left. This is about Fox, how it created its own little world, and why the Right was so stunned by the election results)

Says who?

Would you ask the same questions of those networks that are most certainly in the tank for the left?

Honestly thinking people are safe and can weather the various TV influences that exist and will vote with intelligence.

Good grief.

"Says who"? Perhaps you were not paying attention to all the predictions of a Romney landslide by well-known Republicans, from Michael Barone to Karl Rove; perhaps you haven't seen that Romney himself and members of his own staff where shocked. Holy crap, come on.

"Would you ask the same questions of those networks that are most certainly in the tank for the left?" Did you not bother to read the last paragraph of my post about MSNBC? I have highlighted in red for you, above. I asked a direct question about Fox, and no one has been willing to give me a direct answer. Including you.

I don't watch FoxNews or the others but rarely so I can honestly state my perception of this election was not carved out by the opinions and behavior of talking heads on any network. Apparently they do skew your views some. Stop believing everything you read about what Romney felt or what his reactions were. Anonymous sources are likely not true and are simply the chosen words of the writer of the piece or blog. What were Romney's words after the election? Use those for true accuracy.

Sorry Mac but you trying to set the parameters of my response will not fly with me. I don't debate with one hand tied behind my back when that part of the argument is quite valid and pertinent to this discussion.

SO, this is where this crap is coming from again,...Liberal-Democrats LOVE Free speech until it doesn't AGREE with them..they are the tyrants in this country
links in article at site

SNIP..

Andrew Sullivan: ‘Fox News has to be demonized and cut off’

3:05 AM 11/10/2012

Daily Beast blogger Andrew Sullivan, who seemed to take the ups and downs of President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign very personally, said in his Friday night appearance on HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher” that the Republican Party should rebuke conservative talker Rush Limbaugh and “demonize and cut off” the Fox News Channel.

“The first conservative who will be the future of that party will be the one that says Rush Limbaugh does not speak for the Republican Party,” Sullivan said. “He is a poison on the discourse, and until they start — you see, the media-industrial complex on the right is so lucrative they don’t want to lose it. And it is now controlling a political party. That has to be severed. Fox News has to be demonized and cut off.”

That remark drew the objection of the show’s lone conservative, MSNBC’s “The Cycle” co-host S.E. Cupp, who questioned Sullivan’s premise on free speech grounds. However, the other panelist on the show, CNN’s James Carville, insisted Limbaugh and Fox News should stay around in order to help Democrats continue their electoral success.

all of it here
Read more: Andrew Sullivan: ‘Fox News has to be demonized and cut off’ | The Daily Caller

And Andrew Sullivan is a conservative.

yeah sure he is and I'm the queen of England

In 2000 Andrew Sullivan was a Conservative and a Bush supporter. Over the years he has seen the error of his ways and changed his opinions. He did not like Obama at all until he met the man, and meeting Obama drastically changed his opinion of the man. Sullivan is one political writer who can change his opinions, and seeing this is quite refreshing.

Geesh, lets be clear. The GOP wanted to win the election as did those who voted for Romney. Were some of them surprised, dismayed, angry, down etc.... sure. But please enough with the dumbass hyperbole driven newspaper like headlines that provoke these ridiculous images of wailing and chest beating hysterics.

Shocked!!! Stunned!! Astonished!!! GOP Meltdown!!

My oh my how drama filled we can be on here.

The GOP does have identity issues imo. I believe like all politics and party all things are circular in nature. The GOP will regain their footing and will be back to win again as surely as the sun will rise and set again.

Says who?

Good grief.

I don't watch FoxNews or the others but rarely so I can honestly state my perception of this election was not carved out by the opinions and behavior of talking heads on any network. Apparently they do skew your views some. Stop believing everything you read about what Romney felt or what his reactions were. Anonymous sources are likely not true and are simply the chosen words of the writer of the piece or blog. What were Romney's words after the election? Use those for true accuracy.

Sorry Mac but you trying to set the parameters of my response will not fly with me. I don't debate with one hand tied behind my back when that part of the argument is quite valid and pertinent to this discussion.

Romney's shock at his loss was widely reported by CBS, NBC and ABC. We're not talking ThinkProgress or Huffpo here, but the "big three" reporting on Romney's shock at losing. It wasn't some "anonymous source" that was stating it either. CBS spoke to more than ONE adviser that talked about how "shocked" they all were.

Only someone who had been watching only Fox news and reading the "unskewed" polls could be THAT shocked.

Adviser: Romney "shellshocked" by loss

In 2000 Andrew Sullivan was a Conservative and a Bush supporter. Over the years he has seen the error of his ways and changed his opinions. He did not like Obama at all until he met the man, and meeting Obama drastically changed his opinion of the man. Sullivan is one political writer who can change his opinions, and seeing this is quite refreshing.

the only ERROR is Sullivan himself
nasty hateful little man

My goodness, never would I have thought that getting a direct response to a direct question would have been so difficult.

You may have said "I don't know", for example. At least it would have been the first time someone tried to answer.

Interesting.

What changed his opinions of Obama. What did Obama do that caused Sullivan to change his mind and political opinions?

Only someone watching Fox and only Fox would have spent $25,000 on fireworks and launched his transition page on the web before the results were in.

(and then cancelled his staffers credit cards before they could even pay for the ride home)

Let's be very clear, this is not longer a nation where what you are matters it is who you are. All the money spent on the campaigns meant absolutely nothing. Those who were going to vote for Obama no matter what voted for Obama, Bengazi, the UE rate, the economy none of that mattered. America has become a nation of identity politics. It wasn't a melt down by the GOP it is just a matter of numbers. This situtation is like the worse of the scifi movies, either we become as them or be left behind. No matter how destrtuctive the course it is the one we are on. All we can do is fight and end up dying in the end.

My goodness, never would I have thought that getting a direct response to a direct question would have been so difficult.

You may have said "I don't know", for example. At least it would have been the first time someone tried to answer.

The political arena and debate would be easy if we could all make the rules and rule out what aspects are off limits for discussion.

For you to ignore and to ask others to ignore how every network may impact people and party in some fashion or manner when they vote is truly slanted and incomplete imo. I am but one person here. Others are free to follow your "rules" or guidelines. I am choosing not to do so.

nasty hateful little man

Because he no longer thinks the way that you do? I read his columns even when he supported Bush. Some of us can think outside of the box.

The political arena and debate would be easy if we could all make the rules and rule out what aspects are off limits for discussion.

For you to ignore and to ask others to ignore how every network may impact people and party in some fashion or manner when they vote is truly slanted and incomplete imo. I am but one person here. Others are free to follow your "rules" or guidelines. I am choosing not to do so.

I asked a direct question. I don't even have an interest in debating it. I was just curious.

Good gawd, never mind. This is madness, paranoia. But I guess it does answer my question.

Only someone watching Fox and only Fox would have spent $25,000 on fireworks and launched his transition page on the web before the results were in.

(and then cancelled his staffers credit cards before they could even pay for the ride home)

oh yeah sure...no reason for him to PLAN ahead..so because he did it's Foxs fault..
as for the second part, BIG DEAL..why should they continue to use that benefit if he lost...

good grief

Last edited:

Interesting.

What changed his opinions of Obama. What did Obama do that caused Sullivan to change his mind and political opinions?

He said that when he met Obama he realised that he was in the presence of greatness. Being a gay conservative probably changed his opinions some. Seeing things going drastically wrong under Bush changed his opinions.

Why are lefties so obsessed with FoxNews would be the better question. Don't like it. BFD. You are lefties and you don't like the GOP. So what?

Mac created a thread to question the harm he thinks the GOP suffered at the hands of a news network that lefties despise. Hmmmm. Will we ever see a thread discussing the harm alphabet news brings to the Democrat party?

oh yeah sure...no reason for him to PLAN ahead..so because he did it's Foxs fault..
as for the second part, BIG DEAL..why should they continue to use that benefit if he lost...

good grief

He could have given them a chance to check out of their hotels.

nasty hateful little man

Because he no longer thinks the way that you do? I read his columns even when he supported Bush. Some of us can think outside of the box.

I don't give shit how he thinks. he a nasty human being..he went after Sarah Palins little down syndrome baby...the MAN is nasty scum..you all follow him, have at it

Interesting.

He said that when he met Obama he realised that he was in the presence of greatness. Being a gay conservative probably changed his opinions some. Seeing things going drastically wrong under Bush changed his opinions.

Ok so you are not offering me any specifics. Just that in his presence he felt some sort of greatness? With all due respect to Mr. Sullivan I am suppressing a giggle here. :badgrin:

Okay and the second part was a generic anti-Bush sentiment that made him change his views about Obama? Hmmm, now that is earth shaking news. :razz:

Disappointed that Sullivan by you has not offered something concrete to explain his change other than a boyish sounding moment of awe for Obama and a latent pissed off dislike for Bush.

Last edited:

I asked a direct question. I don't even have an interest in debating it. I was just curious.

Good gawd, never mind. This is madness, paranoia. But I guess it does answer my question.

As I stated, I am but one person. Others will weigh in more to your satisfaction perhaps. I don't play by the rules demanded sometimes. Sorry if what I offered made it too difficult for you to interact with me on the topic. Such is life in the good fight. I am here to discuss and debate. I had no idea you just wanted answers to a question and little more.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back