Is Fox News a net positive or negative for the GOP?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.

In the aftermath of The Great GOP Meltdown of 2012, I've now seen a couple of articles asking this question as the party begins a little self-inspection. Wow, never would I have expected this.

(Well, at least SOME of the party is doing some self-inspection. The rest of it is doubling down, proudly remaining in abject denial. But that's for a different thread)

Fox played a big part in the party somehow convincing itself that Romney was going to win in a landslide. It essentially created an information cocoon for conservatives, where no light was getting in, where the bad information inside the cocoon was allowed to fester and grow. The result? Conservatives were shocked at the outcome; no one else was.

So would the GOP be better off if Fox never existed? Or if it changed its approach and stopped being such a weird cartoon act? Is Fox hurting the GOP?

(And by the way, don't divert to MSNBC. I agree it's gone completely over the cliff for the Left. This is about Fox, how it created its own little world, and why the Right was so stunned by the election results)

omg...still with the Fox news

When you the Democrats have EVERY other news Lamestream news channel in the bag for them, you don't see people asking if they are plue or a negative for them

I think it's honestly a bad thing for them. It's so disingenuous and anti-intellectualism that it has become a meme in modern society for dishonesty and lies. And while there's a minority of people who'll subscribe to anything Fox News says, it definitely turns the majority off. I also think Fox News has progressively gotten worse over time turning off more and more people.

Thank God for Fox news, I don't have to drink the shit laced swill that the liberal media insists on brewing.

I think it's honestly a bad thing for them. It's so disingenuous and anti-intellectualism that it has become a meme in modern society for dishonesty and lies. And while there's a minority of people who'll subscribe to anything Fox News says, it definitely turns the majority off. I also think Fox News has progressively gotten worse over time turning off more and more people.

that's why fox has the number one viewer ratings for a decade.. lollipop dreams and unicorn piss brother.

omg...still with the Fox news

When you the Democrats have EVERY other news Lamestream news channel in the bag for them, you don't see people asking if they are plue or a negative for them

You have to understand, those on the left must bash something. "W" is ancient history and the Tea Party melted away so now all they have is Fox News and the GOP.

My question becomes, if Fox news and the GOP goes away what is left to demonize? Maybe they start targeting more conservative members of their own party.

that's why fox has the number one viewer ratings for a decade.. lollipop dreams and unicorn piss brother.

In the age we live in, does that even mean anything anymore. Who really cares about Cable News? My generation is plugged into the internet and the Daily Show.

I'm a chanel flipper. Awoke this morning and Fox is reporting actual current ongoing news. MSNBC was replaying last Friday's Chrissy Matthews spittle laden rebuke of the White Republican. It's fucking hilarious.

In the aftermath of The Great GOP Meltdown of 2012, I've now seen a couple of articles asking this question as the party begins a little self-inspection. Wow, never would I have expected this.

(Well, at least SOME of the party is doing some self-inspection. The rest of it is doubling down, proudly remaining in abject denial. But that's for a different thread)

Fox played a big part in the party somehow convincing itself that Romney was going to win in a landslide. It essentially created an information cocoon for conservatives, where no light was getting in, where the bad information inside the cocoon was allowed to fester and grow. The result? Conservatives were shocked at the outcome; no one else was.

So would the GOP be better off if Fox never existed? Or if it changed its approach and stopped being such a weird cartoon act? Is Fox hurting the GOP?

(And by the way, don't divert to MSNBC. I agree it's gone completely over the cliff for the Left. This is about Fox, how it created its own little world, and why the Right was so stunned by the election results)

There is nothing wrong with there being a 'conservative' voice, mac. The problem with Fox is that it's not an honest broker. You can have conservative OPINIONS but there is only one set of facts.

In the age we live in, does that even mean anything anymore. Who really cares about Cable News? My generation is plugged into the internet and the Daily Show.

then stop worrying about Fox news you fraky gelatinized moron.

then you aren't any better... you need to read everything or you will think in sound bites. jon stewart never wanted to be 'real' news

There is nothing wrong with there being a 'conservative' voice, mac. The problem with Fox is that it's not an honest broker. You can have conservative OPINIONS but there is only one set of facts.

Name the "honest broker" to which you tune in for your information. Cause if you have one it doesn't show through in your rhetoric.

then you aren't any better... you need to read everything or you will think in sound bites. jon stewart never wanted to be 'real' news

I'm saying that's what the majority of people 35 and under do. I personally am a news junkie and frequent several news groups/ I also like watching Fox News for the entertainment factor. It's so over the top usually I can't take it seriously.

I'm a First Amendment purist, so Fox's existence is not in question with me. I want all voices heard. My question was direct: Is it a net positive or net negative?

And yeah, I agree, where they cross the line (and hurt themselves) is when they create their own little fact world. That's never been more clear than with this election. Rove looked like someone shot his dog that night.

Isn't ironic.. O'Reilly and Stewart are pals.

Fox news is hated by the democrats much as Radio Free America was hated in its day too.

Forum List

Back