Is a business allowed to violate civil rights?

You're wrong.

Take for example the case of the photographer who declined to photograph a lesbian union on religious grounds. The dikes sued her and won.

If you're going to undertake some ludicrous mental masturbation to wrongly conclude that the photographer's rights aren't being infringed upon, or that simply declining the business violated the dike's rights, then I guess we have nothing left to discuss.

Happy whoring. :thup:
I disagree with that ruling. Photography, painting, writing, etc...are all art forms. You cannot compel an artist to paint, make photographs or write about a subject.

Apples and oranges.

Point taken.

But where exactly is the line then?

What about a landscaping company? A private golf club? A law firm?

In your opinion, is it only art that is exempt? Thereby introducing the question of what constitutes art. Or is it only "public" accomodation businesses that should not be exempt?
IMO, if you run a business that is open to the public, and in fact the business takes customers off the street (restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc.) then you cannot refuse a member of the public. And yes, Care...this should include pharmacists. Doctors I am not decided on.

I don't think it should or does apply to private clubs or businesses that perform a service tailored to a specific client (lawyers, landscapers, artists, etc.)

Heck, we once turned down a job because it had something to do with Dubya. :lol:

In the case of the drugstore pharmacist, not willing to fill a prescription for the morning after pill....the law says he has to offer the customer another pharmacist who would fill her prescription, if he is unable to do so himself.

Neither his nor her liberties were infringed upon....

Though I can see it as an inconvenience perhaps, for the customer?
When you live in North Dakota and the next pharmacist is 150 miles away, it's more than an inconvenience. I believe Walmart lost this case there.

I disagree with that ruling. Photography, painting, writing, etc...are all art forms. You cannot compel an artist to paint, make photographs or write about a subject.

Apples and oranges.

Point taken.

But where exactly is the line then?

What about a landscaping company? A private golf club? A law firm?

In your opinion, is it only art that is exempt? Thereby introducing the question of what constitutes art. Or is it only "public" accomodation businesses that should not be exempt?
IMO, if you run a business that is open to the public, and in fact the business takes customers off the street (restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc.) then you cannot refuse a member of the public. And yes, Care...this should include pharmacists. Doctors I am not decided on.

I don't think it should or does apply to private clubs or businesses that perform a service tailored to a specific client (lawyers, landscapers, artists, etc.)

Heck, we once turned down a job because it had something to do with Dubya. :lol:

Well shiver me timbers, I completely agree. ;)

In the case of the drugstore pharmacist, not willing to fill a prescription for the morning after pill....the law says he has to offer the customer another pharmacist who would fill her prescription, if he is unable to do so himself.

An Independent Pharmacist could refuse to stock them, and only have them available through special order. ;) He could also refer you to a web-Site Pharmacy. It's not good to try to force Anyone to act against Their Conscience. What does it glorify other than the power the State has over all or us, or at least claims to have?

When you live in North Dakota and the next pharmacist is 150 miles away, it's more than an inconvenience. I believe Walmart lost this case there.

That depends.

I disagree with that ruling. Photography, painting, writing, etc...are all art forms.

Cooking is an art form, too.
That's a stretch babe.

Yes, it can be, but you cannot be compelled to cook a certain type of dish. I guess we could take this to a discussion of is there gay food? lol.
But the point is, you cannot refuse to serve whatever you cook to someone based on your dislike of their skin color. Nor should a photographer deny his product to someone for the same reasons.

That's a stretch babe.

Yes, it can be, but you cannot be compelled to cook a certain type of dish. I guess we could take this to a discussion of is there gay food? lol.
But the point is, you cannot refuse to serve whatever you cook to someone based on your dislike of their skin color. Nor should a photographer deny his product to someone for the same reasons.

What if you don't mind the skin color, but you really don't like their personality?

An Independent Pharmacist could refuse to stock them, and only have them available through special order. ;) He could also refer you to a web-Site Pharmacy. It's not good to try to force Anyone to act against Their Conscience. What does it glorify other than the power the State has over all or us, or at least claims to have?

It's worse to deny morning after birth control to a woman and thus enable her her to become pregnant against her will.

That's a stretch babe.

Unless you are the soup nazi. :lol:

That's a stretch babe.

What if you don't mind the skin color, but you really don't like their personality?
The Civil Rights Act does not protect people from discrimination due to their personality type. Did you really need that explained to you?

If personality disorders (such as yours) ever become classified as disabilities then that will be another story. God help you! :lol:

That's a stretch babe.

Unless you are the soup nazi. :lol:
:lol:

The Civil Rights Act does not protect people from discrimination due to their personality type.

Sounds like a gaping loophole to me. :eusa_angel:

That's a stretch babe.

I disagree.

You cannot deny food or service to the general public in public accommodation venues. The food is general and does not discriminate. It's food. Or a bed to the weary traveler.

Art and artists are different. I do not think you can compel someone to create a painting or force someone to take a picture or write about something they find morally offensive./

That's a stretch babe.

I disagree.

You cannot deny food or service to the general public in public accommodation venues. The food is general and does not discriminate. It's food. Or a bed to the weary traveler.

Art and artists are different. I do not think you can compel someone to create a painting or force someone to take a picture or write about something they find morally offensive./

You'd also have a tough time forcing them not to spit in the food they're preparing against their will. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back