IRS Follies

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yesterday I got a letter from the IRS.

It seems that they have two problems with me. First, I didn’t file quarterly tax returns last year, and second THEY RECEIVED my tax payment a few days after the deadline this year.

Our situation is this. My wife makes a good buck. I worked part time for about 8 months last year and made about $40 thousand, then retired, collecting SS. The way it works out, even though I have a lot taken out of my pay and my wife files as “single-no dependents,” we still end up owing 6 or 7 thousand when I file – which is why I don’t send in my return until the last day. This year, that was Paul Revere Day, April 18th.

So check this out. The letter says that I paid X and I owed Y…I paid $70 more than they figured I owe. But I am being penalized $70 for not filing quarterly. WTF? Second, they say they got my check on April 26th. I said to the clerk (after spending ½ hour on the phone trying to speak to a human), “Look at the POST-MARK. We mailed it on the 18th.”

“We don’t keep the envelopes. The only record we have is that we got your payment on the 26th”.

“So because the Postal Service sat on my envelope for a week, I have to pay a $300 deadbeat fee?”

“Yes.”

Fuck you very much. I'm glad it's not a lot of money.

Eesh! :eek:

Sounds like it might would benefit you to hire a CPA to deal with the headaches.

this happened to my mother..they claimed she never mailed her return in...she had registered the letter and that saved her...where did the 26 date come from? normally in account receivable you stamp the stuff....ie ...postmark says 14 th but i dont get it till the 16th it will have a stamp saying rec'd 16

everyone needs a paper trail...how to leave it and how to use it helps too

even today....i mark incoming and outgoing mail....when i open an bill i put the due date on the outside envelope and when i make a phone call to any business or concerning business i document it...time, date, what was discussed and any follow up....when i make a complaint and some smart ass says 'and who did you talk to'? i pull that shit right out....

It seems that they have two problems with me. First, I didn’t file quarterly tax returns last year, and second THEY RECEIVED my tax payment a few days after the deadline this year.

Our situation is this. My wife makes a good buck. I worked part time for about 8 months last year and made about $40 thousand, then retired, collecting SS. The way it works out, even though I have a lot taken out of my pay and my wife files as “single-no dependents,” we still end up owing 6 or 7 thousand when I file – which is why I don’t send in my return until the last day. This year, that was Paul Revere Day, April 18th.

So check this out. The letter says that I paid X and I owed Y…I paid $70 more than they figured I owe. But I am being penalized $70 for not filing quarterly. WTF? Second, they say they got my check on April 26th. I said to the clerk (after spending ½ hour on the phone trying to speak to a human), “Look at the POST-MARK. We mailed it on the 18th.”

“We don’t keep the envelopes. The only record we have is that we got your payment on the 26th”.

“So because the Postal Service sat on my envelope for a week, I have to pay a $300 deadbeat fee?”

“Yes.”

/--- File electronically from now on. For crying out loud.

“Yes.”

In my experience it sure seems like they penalty / fine / fee / interest you for the same problem multiple times.

Generally I have had problems like your from uneven investment income.

The solution is just pay more. Not worth trying to do the: time value of money and do not let the RS hold your money. I was always of that mindset and owed, and paid last minute - scratched the magnetic strip on the check so it has to be entered manually to slow it down...

But once they spank you hard - it is cheaper to over pay and get a refund.
The prevailing low interest rates make it easier to stomach.

cash games rule.

When you use mail, you can pay a small fee to "certify" the mail event.

I may go to efile someday, but paper is easier if your filing is similar to last year. And you need to make copies.........or store electrons somewhere.

When you use mail, you can pay a small fee to "certify" the mail event.

I may go to efile someday, but paper is easier if your filing is similar to last year. And you need to make copies.........or store electrons somewhere.

I figure if I use paper copies it is more difficult to load into the automated system.

I gave up on hand filled out forms because the using the PDFs was so easy to change and reprint

efile makes it too easy for them.

“Yes.”

I do not electronic file because I figure that gives them every entry electronically.

They can get it from the folded papers.

“Yes.”

I do not electronic file because I figure that gives them every entry electronically.

/---- LOL. That makes no sense. So keep on keeping on. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

“Yes.”

/---- LOL. That makes no sense. So keep on keeping on. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You see know difference in giving them the data or a hand filled out forms?

Which is easier to audit?

But I guess for the 1040EZ it makes no difference - point taken.

Question: they want W2's attached. Many small companies send paper copy only to your last known address. How do you attach if efile?

I know, IRS has them already but they ask attach?

Question: they want W2's attached. Many small companies send paper copy only to your last known address. How do you attach if efile?

I know, IRS has them already but they ask attach?

I never efiled. But maybe there is away to attach a scanned image?

I prefer a loose scrap of paper and letting the government employees try to deal.

“Yes.”

Back in the late 70's I did my taxes and found that I owed them about $400 that I didn't have so I took the option to send them a signed, blank return checked so they would figure what I owed them paying only interest, but no late filing fee. Withholding statements were included in the envelope.
about 6 weeks later, I got a bill from IRS for over $16,000 which was the total owed on my salary. There was no credit for what my employer deducted. The penalties grew monthly to over 24 grand before I got it resolved 18 months later.
Of course, the following year, they applied my entire withholding to the bill they thought I owed, so now I owed scads of cash on yet another year's return.
I had sent in photocopies of withholding statements from my copies and a statement from my employer, but they kept demanding originals that I was unwilling to part with.

Forum List

Back