The DIY conspiracy

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
There's a huge conspiracy in this country to make people think they can do everything themselves.

As a person that has been working HVAC for over 10 years and owns real text books that hold information, I can tell you my theory is correct.

A few years back a bought a book about doing electrical work, and it was amazing to me how they can produce a thick book that tells you nothing.

I've seen some of the home DIY shows, and it's funny to me the first thing they tell you to do is take a sledgehammer to the house, then they won't give you enough information to rebuild it.

I'm recently installing a ductless mini split, I had a few simple questions, I watched 2 DIY videos on Youtube and neither one of them address the question.

Then, I watched a "professional" video and they never told people to pull a vacuum on the line set. (the refrigerant would be contaminated)

they want people to run out and buy all the materials , then quit and call a contractor.

Hubby would sort of agree, he has been in hvac for over 20 yrs now.

Wife fixed our washing machine we bought for 60$ used. Asshole said it worked and it wouldn't drain. I had errands to run so she took bottom apart and found a nail and something else in the drain hose.Now it works like a gem. Same goes for car repairs. I only take my vehicle places when I can't do it myself or don't have tools to do it. Plan on buying a jack and stands to hold truck up so I can do my own brakes and oil changes. I got ramps so could probably do wifes car but not mine I don't trust my SUV on ramps lol.

When I was putting in whole house AC I looked into doing it myself. I decided that it was too big of project even though I would have saved a good bit of money. Mistake. The company said they were putting in a fossil fuel conversion kit but couldn't get it to work so they just didn't install it. Now I don't believe the system works the way it is suppose to work, but they keep telling me nothing is wrong. The outside temperature bulb never reads the actual temperature within 3 or more degrees especially when the Sun is shining on it, i have given up trying to get them to fix that problem.

What I will do next time, install everything myself. I didn't like how they ran the lines through the wall, I would have done a better job. IF I couldn't cut the duct work to install the heat exchanger I would job that out as I would the charging, or checking the charge, of the unit. I would save big time and the thing would be the way I wanted it.

I changed my oil furnace with a new one and did what I said about the AC. the man selling me the furnace cut the duct work for me in his shop. I have not had a problem with the furnace that had anything to do with installation and I saved 1thousand dollars. I did hire a man to come out and inspected the finished installation and to check out the furnace.

I say if you think you can do it, you can. Contractors, not all, are going to do the minimum amount of work to complete the installation, then walk away. It probably didn't help that his help didn't seem to be too happy working for him and barely said anything during the installation. Now I am sure this isn't true if you pay top dollar.

trying to install a full size air conditioning system is a big mistake.
it's not uncommon to meet technicians who have been in the business 5 years that still make large mistakes.

I don't know what fuel conversion kit your talking about but usually they are an orifice that has to go into the pilot.

usually no sensors are supposed to be in direct sunlight

When I had my house, I did just about everything myself. The only things I paid to get done were a septic system and replacing the furnace boiler.

There's a huge conspiracy in this country to make people think they can do everything themselves.

As a person that has been working HVAC for over 10 years and owns real text books that hold information, I can tell you my theory is correct.

A few years back a bought a book about doing electrical work, and it was amazing to me how they can produce a thick book that tells you nothing.

I've seen some of the home DIY shows, and it's funny to me the first thing they tell you to do is take a sledgehammer to the house, then they won't give you enough information to rebuild it.

I'm recently installing a ductless mini split, I had a few simple questions, I watched 2 DIY videos on Youtube and neither one of them address the question.

Then, I watched a "professional" video and they never told people to pull a vacuum on the line set. (the refrigerant would be contaminated)

they want people to run out and buy all the materials , then quit and call a contractor.

It's true that most people can't run to Home Depot and pick up the parts and tools for a major job and complete it to code -- certainly not for less than a contractor might charge. But there are a few of us, raised around tools, and taught from childhood to be self-reliant when it comes to household chores. We have the tool and experience with them to feel much better handling a job ourselves than begging a contractor to come out and do it.

I did work myself because I figured my alternative was to pay someone...they fix his fuck-ups myself. Why not eliminate the middle man? I did a bunch of work to my house, and even more to the garage...when I bought the place, the garage was uninsulated, had one plug, and no heat. It not has full 220V service, a heater, water, insulation, air lines, and both carports are enclosed. (The heavily-upgraded garage was one reason the buyer liked the house.)

HVAC is a specialty and you need a license to buy the refrigerant at least in my state. but you should have been able to drill the holes and install the units themselves then have a plumber run the refrigerant through. I like to do a lot of stuff DIY but I won't mess with HVAC or propane lines.

I learned how to wire a house on youtube and run plumbing supply lines. I didn't do the drain and soil pipe lines though.

I did all the wiring and water supply lines in the house we built 2 years ago and passed every inspection.

The whole sledgehammer demo thing I completely agree with I never saw the need to destroy cabinets when removing a few screws to take them down is easier.

My grandson has a Dodge 2500 diesel 4 wheel drive truck that the transmission has gone out on. The trans is called a 47RE, and he wanted my to just walk him through rebuilding it so I said ok. Now I am not putting him down as he had never done it before but he thought it would be much easier than it is. First, it took him about 2 hours to tear it down, where i would have done it in 20 minutes. We are nearly done putting it back together and he has finally said that he would never have been able to do it alone. many tasks have a feel that you get from doing it over and over that does not just com naturally. He has learned something about it and hopefully he won't ask me to "help" with another one! ;)

Forum List

Back