Iraq has only costed you X dollars!

I asked a question, never got an answer. Does that mean all 'leftists' are stupid?

What are you asking? Do I know what I am asking? Yes I do, name one self proclaimed middle eastern REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY. Thats it. Perhaps one the works. And im not talking about the oxymoron that is "islamic democracy". Like turkey. Its not a true democracy.

Really, so only 2% of sunnis even showed up to vote, because they WANT representative democracy?

Hrm...when 70%? of eligible voters, voted, that sends a PRETTY Clear message, right? Does it not? Have you physically SPOKEN to an Iraqi? More than one? How about anyone who has served in Iraq - just to get their sensing on "whether or not Iraqis want democracy in some form, or are resentful of the US and others for having 'forced' it upon them?"

Side note:
Why do you (and others) continue to point Spotlights at negative news, but yet poo-pah anything POSITIVE?

Hrm...when 70%? of eligible voters, voted, that sends a PRETTY Clear message, right? Does it not? Have you physically SPOKEN to an Iraqi? More than one? How about anyone who has served in Iraq - just to get their sensing on "whether or not Iraqis want democracy in some form, or are resentful of the US and others for having 'forced' it upon them?"

Side note:
Why do you (and others) continue to point Spotlights at negative news, but yet poo-pah anything POSITIVE?

Yes I have, every single soldier I have spoken with repeats the same thing. "they dont want us there". So if they dont want western civilization to protect them, why would they embrace any true western democracy. And Im not talking about Islamic Democracy, as I said before religious democracy is not a true democracy.

Yes I have, every single soldier I have spoken with repeats the same thing. "they dont want us there". So if they dont want western civilization to protect them, why would they embrace any true western democracy. And Im not talking about Islamic Democracy, as I said before religious democracy is not a true democracy.

I think you're lying. How do you have contact with soldiers? What's your sample? In what context do they not want us there?

Your "Soldiers" are 180 degrees from the viewpoint I hear from Field-Grade officers and Senior NCOs who leave from here, go there, and return. While it's very true Iraqis would rather we NOT be there - I mean, WHO wants another nation occupying their country? However, Iraqis know what we mean - some measure of protection and power against the folk who'd set up a theocracy.

Fwiw, The USA is religious. And we're a democratic Republic. We do okay.

I think you're lying. How do you have contact with soldiers? What's your sample? In what context do they not want us there?

Your "Soldiers" are 180 degrees from the viewpoint I hear from Field-Grade officers and Senior NCOs who leave from here, go there, and return. While it's very true Iraqis would rather we NOT be there - I mean, WHO wants another nation occupying their country? However, Iraqis know what we mean - some measure of protection and power against the folk who'd set up a theocracy.

Thank you! I was going to post similar, but was afraid he'd call, 'I'm military', didn't sound right.

1) You asked no question to me, therefore your comment is irrelevant.

2) I am not a leftist, therefore your comment is irrelevant

3) I did not ask a question, nor expect an answer, nor evade answering a question, therefore your comment is irrelevant

4) People on this board have lives, unlike some of you. If you have more than 25 posts per day, you probably have no life. I do not post every day...I go out, often, and do things with other people. You and RSR should get out of the house more.

I sent you rep, but just for the record, you suck and I make no excuses. Fuck off.

Yes the US is religious, but that religion is secular and our democracy is not a religious democracy. (despite george bush appointing wackos to the supreme court). Our nations founders did not intend for this to be a religious democracy at all.

A democracy dies when a particular belief is imposed or disbelief is punished. So I dont see how the middle east islamic nations can possibly want a democracy and still be able to follow every literal word of the quran as they have been.

We are different, we dont take the bible as literally as they do, if we did.....well we would be stoning our children, having 20 wives, killing homosexuals, locking up non-believers, and praying in school.

The quran and the word democracy do not exist together, if they do.....well that its an oxymoron and contradictory to either the beliefs outlined in the quran, or the very definition of democracy.

Yes the US is religious, but that religion is secular and our democracy is not a religious democracy. (despite george bush appointing wackos to the supreme court). Our nations founders did not intend for this to be a religious democracy at all.

Did you just write "The US' religion is Secular"? I'm not sure what that means.

'Wackos' eh? Using that word betrays your dogmatic adherence to the Talking-Points of democraticunderground.com

A democracy dies when a particular belief is imposed or disbelief is punished. So I dont see how the middle east islamic nations can possibly want a democracy and still be able to follow every literal word of the quran as they have been.

Because YOU can't see how Islamic Folk could POSSIBLY want Democracy? Are you reading this?

We are different, we dont take the bible as literally as they do, if we did.....well we would be stoning our children, having 20 wives, killing homosexuals, locking up non-believers, and praying in school.

No - we wouldn't. But I won't waste words with your strawman.

Wow. If you think a neg rep is going to hurt me, you're awfully petty.

It also looks like I touched a nerve...looks like my comment was dead on.

Not at all, as I'm curtailing my participation here, you are wasting my time and posts. Truly you are only a front in your own mind.

Did you just write "The US' religion is Secular"? I'm not sure what that means.

'Wackos' eh? Using that word betrays your dogmatic adherence to the Talking-Points of democraticunderground.com

Because YOU can't see how Islamic Folk could POSSIBLY want Democracy? Are you reading this?

No - we wouldn't. But I won't waste words with your strawman.

Yes our nation is secular, they are seperate. Im sure you understand what I was saying though when I said secular (seperate) you dont know what that means? Let me explain it, no legislation can be passed that benefits or obstructs any diety. Thats in the constitution. I may have used it in the wrong place, but a 10 year old could have understood what I meant by it.

Second, I dont care about democraticunderground.com

Third. Yea I sure dont see how they can possibly want democracy and still be able to follow the rules of the quran, have you read the quran?

Im sorry that you are un-informed, but the quran violates the definition of democracy which includes "no belief shall be forced on someone, and no belief or dis-belief shall be punished" thats democracy.

The quran plainly and directly contradicts that. So im sorry, if you want to be closer to allah, if you want to be islamic, if you believe the quran and follow it literally....then you absolutely can not have a democracy. You must choose to bend the rules of the quran a little bit, for democracy to work in the middle east, and many nations are not willing to do that.

And yes we would be doing those things if this was not a secular government and if we took the bible literally like islam does.
Have you read the old testamen? Its very very similar to the quran. So if we took the old testamen literally, then yes we would be cutting penis's off (Abraham) Burning gays (deutronomy) and stoning our children to death (deutronomy). And those are LAWs in the bible, not stories. So what makes you think muslims would break islamic laws, for democracy? They wont, therefore a true democracy will not work.

Yes our nation is secular, they are seperate. Im sure you understand what I was saying though when I said secular (seperate) you dont know what that means? Let me explain it, no legislation can be passed that benefits or obstructs any diety. Thats in the constitution. I may have used it in the wrong place, but a 10 year old could have understood what I meant by it.

You wrote "Our Religion is Secular" - "Secular" is not a word to describe Religion. It's one or the other. And your explanation is confusing. How could a man-made law obstruct GOD? That's silly. Are you trying to say "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."?

If you're writing to 10 year olds, you may want another forum; most people here are older than 20 years.

Third. Yea I sure dont see how they can possibly want democracy and still be able to follow the rules of the quran, have you read the quran?

Then you are ignorant of what it means to live in an Islamic state. MANY (I don't have a specific number) of the population of places like, Iraq, or Iran, are Muslim by BIRTH. They are just normal folk - like me, and some are silly, like you. They want a chance to live their lives.

Im sorry that you are un-informed, but the quran violates the definition of democracy which includes "no belief shall be forced on someone, and no belief or dis-belief shall be punished" thats democracy.

That's funny - because I remember reading, in the Qu'ran 2:256 "There shall be no compulsion in religion.

Silly.

The quran plainly and directly contradicts that. So im sorry, if you want to be closer to allah, if you want to be islamic, if you believe the quran and follow it literally....then you absolutely can not have a democracy. You must choose to bend the rules of the quran a little bit, for democracy to work in the middle east, and many nations are not willing to do that.

Simply untrue. If there are self-professed Christians out there voting for Clinton or Kerry or Kennedy and the like, I see no reason why Muslims can't vote for folk outside of their religious texts.

And yes we would be doing those things if this was not a secular government and if we took the bible literally like islam does.

AHH! So it's our Government which is secular, NOT our Religion. That's starting to make sense.

Have you read the old testamen? Its very very similar to the quran. So if we took the old testamen literally, then yes we would be cutting penis's off (Abraham) Burning gays (deutronomy) and stoning our children to death (deutronomy). And those are LAWs in the bible, not stories. So what makes you think muslims would break islamic laws, for democracy? They wont, therefore a true democracy will not work.

Does the letter 't' not work well on your keyboard?

Anyone can take ANY verse out of context to support their point of view - as I did above listing the Qu'ran. If you take certain old-testament records of events, and instructions to SPECIFIC people under SPECIFIC circumstances (Id Est, not everything EVERYBODY in the bible (esp. old TestamenT) is asked by God to do applies to all believers for all time), out of context, things sound grim. But to take things out of context betrays the intent of the author.

You wrote "Our Religion is Secular" - "Secular" is not a word to describe Religion. It's one or the other. And your explanation is confusing. How could a man-made law obstruct GOD? That's silly. Are you trying to say "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."?

If you're writing to 10 year olds, you may want another forum; most people here are older than 20 years.

Then you are ignorant of what it means to live in an Islamic state. MANY (I don't have a specific number) of the population of places like, Iraq, or Iran, are Muslim by BIRTH. They are just normal folk - like me, and some are silly, like you. They want a chance to live their lives.

That's funny - because I remember reading, in the Qu'ran 2:256 "There shall be no compulsion in religion.

Silly.

Simply untrue. If there are self-professed Christians out there voting for Clinton or Kerry or Kennedy and the like, I see no reason why Muslims can't vote for folk outside of their religious texts.

AHH! So it's our Government which is secular, NOT our Religion. That's starting to make sense.

Anyone can take ANY verse out of context to support their point of view - as I did above listing the Qu'ran. If you take certain old-testament records of events, and instructions to SPECIFIC people under SPECIFIC circumstances (Id Est, not everything EVERYBODY in Sorthe bible (esp. old TestamenT) is asked by God to do applies to all believers for all time), out of context, things sound grim. But to take things out of context betrays the intent of the author.

Sorta like my posts.

Silly.

Anyone can take ANY verse out of context to support their point of view - as I did above listing the Qu'ran. If you take certain old-testament records of events, and instructions to SPECIFIC people under SPECIFIC circumstances (Id Est, not everything EVERYBODY in the bible (esp. old TestamenT) is asked by God to do applies to all believers for all time), out of context, things sound grim. But to take things out of context betrays the intent of the author.

Your right about one thing, you sure know how to take something out of context.

"That's funny - because I remember reading, in the Qu'ran 2:256 "There shall be no compulsion in religion."

I have studied the quran along with this verse, the basic translation for this was meant for muslims to not force their religion upon anyone, or freedom of religion. Not, obessive behavior for a religion in relation to government affairs. Do you even go over what you type?

In the first paragraph, you said that you did not understand what I meant when I said secular. I explained it twice, I used it in the wrong place, but meant something very easy to understand. If it is hard for you to connect the dots, then just end the conversation. Secular is not a hard word to understand, even with a mistake.

You also said, how can a man made law obstruct god, well what you just quoted obstructed god. If your goal is to impose god into government, well you cant because a man made law stops you. Thats quite an obstruction. Not to mention, the Iraqi constitution states that it is "the law of the land" (constitution) while saying that islam is "the national religion". So you have a problem here, because they are trying to draft a secular constitution, while extremists clearly dont want this. They feel that they deserve to make the laws given to them directly from god or "ALLAH"

In the second paragraph, you should have said that many are moderate, and many are extreme. That, is not the problem though, the extreme muslims impose their will on that region of the middle east, they take the word jihad (which means warrior of oppression) and they turn it into what we call a "murderer", but they dont see it that way they see it as killing for the justice of whats right, which is OK in the quran (Quran 4:92-93, 6:!51) And as you know in the quran, oppression is worse than murder (Quran 2:217)

So if you have a western civilization coming over, imposing a transitional democracy upon the Iraqis, sure the moderates will love it. Well what about the vast amounts of extreme muslims who take this as a form of oppression? They take that verse from the quran literally, and think its ok to kill US soldiers because its for what they believe is justice.

So, if your saying that Iraq can be a moderate islamic nation ruled under democracy. I dont agree with you, simple as that. It can be done, but not in Iraq. Not in any place where extreme muslims exist, and obviously they still exist because several years and over 400 billion dollars later, we are in the exact same place. And our main enemy is actually FROM iraq, they are IRAQi's themselves. So we have a long way to go (with violence, infastructure, water, power, police, boarder patrol, military, building contractors) before your dream democracy is a reality, if ever.

Are you a real adult person claiming The US and other nations 'FORCED DEMOCRACY" upon the people of iraq?

Actually, I am claiming that any use of force to change another country's government is forcing that government upon them. I do not doubt that there are people in Iraq who want Iraq to be democratic just like I don't doubt there are people in this country who want a monarchy, or a theocracy but no country regardless of their ideology has the right to invade another country, overthrow its government and change the form of government of that country because there also happens to be people in that country who agree with them. If you cannot grasp this then you should consider how you would feel if a country with a monarchial form of government were to invade the United States, overthrow our government, and install a monarchy and say: "we are only liberating the monarchists in your country from the democrats." It would be a ludicrous assertion just like it is a ludicrous assertion for bin Laden and al-Qaeda to assert that they have the right to overthrow our government and install a theocracy because a theocracy is the best form of government.

Since when did the US government have a constitutional prerogative to "bring freedom to an entire people"?

Since he formed the opinion that we have that perogative and since he can have an opinion in our country and can vote accordingly he thinks he has the right to "bring freedom to an entire people" but he isn't really advocating that at all. It isn't freedom he is advocating. The question I have is very simple and the answer to it really determines whether he supports freedom: Do the Iraqi's have the right to choose a different form of government? Can they choose a theocracy, monarchy, aristocracy, oligarchy, or meritocracy? Who decides? The side that our military and government is supporting or the side we are fighting in Iraq?

What is at issue here is that the Iraqi's have a foreign army in their country and so long as that happens there isn't going to be peace or a resolution to this conflict anymore than the Constitutional Convention could have taken place had we had a foreign army in Philadelphia. The violence in the streets of Philadelphia would be no different than what is now happening in Iraq except maybe in scope. It's not even a matter of constitutional perogative as much as it is the rights of the Iraqi's to determine their own fate and future as equals. Had we not had that opportunity there would never have been a resolution in this country of the conflict between the various factions within our country and the violence would have been horrible. The American Civil War would have looked minor compared to what would have happened. If there was a foreign army in the streets of America and the issue of slavery was discussed those opposed to slavery would not have bothered even talking with those who supported it if the foreign army opposed it because they could always say to those who supported it: "either do as we want or we will have the French soldiers put a bullet in your head." That is what is happening in Iraq right now and the civil war will not end until we leave and it becomes clear to everyone that the insurgents are fighting the Iraqi people including their neighbors, friends and family. How many suicide bombers will they be able to recruit then with: "we want you to blow up your son's best friend because he disagrees with us." :rofl: Right now their recruiting ad is: "we want you to blow up yourself and the Americans who have invaded our country and deprived us of a voice in our own government and many of our friends are allowing this."

Seventy percent isn't enough when deciding on a form of government for an entire nation instead there must be compromise between the various factions or there must be war between them until one or the other wins. No one is saying that the majority of Iraqi's are resentful of the United States for invading their country. I am sure that 100% OF THOSE WHO AGREE WITH US ARE QUITE PLEASED WHILE 100% OF THOSE WHO DO NOT ARE VERY ANGRY. The point is that the Iraqi's aren't choosing their own form of government or having a discussion of the merits of the various forms like we did in 1789 and they aren't compromising like we did because those who are supported by us feel that they don't have to discuss anything with their family, friends and neighbors who disagree with them instead they can simply vote and when the vote over everyone either agrees or they get an American soldier kicking down their doors and gunning them down.

Seventy percent isn't enough when deciding on a form of government for an entire nation

How many voted in OUR last election?

instead there must be compromise between the various factions or there must be war between them until one or the other wins.

What's your experience in nation-building?

I am sure that 100% OF THOSE WHO AGREE WITH US ARE QUITE PLEASED WHILE 100% OF THOSE WHO DO NOT ARE VERY ANGRY.

That's actually pretty stupid. Duh.

The point is that the Iraqi's aren't choosing their own form of government

Baseless accusation.

or having a discussion of the merits of the various forms like we did in 1789 and they aren't compromising like we did because those who are supported by us feel that they don't have to discuss anything with their family, friends and neighbors who disagree with them instead they can simply vote and when the vote over everyone either agrees or they get an American soldier kicking down their doors and gunning them down.

I bet you have LESS than NO idea what went into setting up the Iraqi government.

How many voted in OUR last election?

Does not matter, we are a sovergn nation with 300 million people, less than 1/3rd actually vote because not everyone is even eligable, even then thats still 100 million people. 2% of the sunni's voted in that election, which means they were either scared to vote, or they just did not see a candidate they liked. And now they are not represented at all. They want respect, they want legitimate representation in a shia dominated government.

What's your experience in nation-building?

Being apart of a nation, contributing to its economy by consuming, paying taxes and working.

I bet you have LESS than NO idea what went into setting up the Iraqi government.

Its similar to algeria in 92, and IRan in 79. Its a gamble that has worked in the past but that was without the help of the US. Bush's "new middle east" plan is evidence enough that he is planning on spreading democracy to more than just Iraq, which is a great idea on paper. But if you dont have the right strategy or tools to get this done, then it becomes what it is today in Iraq.

It will take decades to really evaluate if Iraq was beneficial in becoming a democratic nation, right now its not looking so good. Even after the violence slows down we will have to donate billions of dollars and billions of hours of our own time and money for Iraq to show true democratic progress. The military can not do this, only money, time, and diplomacy can do this. Iraq is not the first country to go through these changes, we have plenty of evidence to look at from past transitions of nations into some form of democracy.

It will take decades to really evaluate if Iraq was beneficial in becoming a democratic nation, right now its not looking so good. Even after the violence slows down we will have to donate billions of dollars and billions of hours of our own time and money for Iraq to show true democratic progress. The military can not do this, only money, time, and diplomacy can do this. Iraq is not the first country to go through these changes, we have plenty of evidence to look at from past transitions of nations into some form of democracy.

I support the USA government "Doing whatever it takes" to succeed.

Forum List

Back