Investigation against Rush ends

Dr Grump said:
I actually agree with most of what you have posted, which makes Rush's stance even more ridiculous IMO. There for the grace of god go I etc (BTW, if he was innocent I DON'T think he would have taken the deal - two sides and all that)...

Please point out where "innocence" has been proclaimed. Must be too early in the morning because I didn't get that message from the article at all.

onthefence said:
Limbaugh never attacked this kind of drug abuse. He spoke out against crack, heroin, cannibus, cocaine, ecstasy, and methamphetimine. All illegal drug users. He was right on this issue and it is unfortunate that his message has been blurred by being a victim of a medicated society.

In Rush's black-and-white world, there is no distinction made between the abuse of prescription drugs and street drugs. Unless, of course, he gets busted with large quantities of fraudulently and illegally obtained presrcription drugs... Then, he's a victim.

Never mind that the quantities he had on hand (some 30,000 vicodin, lorcet and oxycontin tablets) were sufficient for him to face charges of "possession with intent to distribute", for which there is a mandatory 15 year sentence. Had it been you, or me, or some poor schmuck on the streets, we would be doing hard time now.

No...As I said earlier, "Money talks and shit walks...". Justice is a commodity in this country, for sale to the highest bidder.

onthefence said:
So all drugs are bad? Is penicillin included. Your conclusion are so moronic that they are funny. I swear you are against everything. I bet I could name anything in the world, and you would argue a position against it.

And FYI, Oxycoton is now being used almost exclusively with hospice patients. At the time that it was prescribed to Mr. Limbaugh, it was not. He really had no idea what was being prescribed. You compare him to crack addict. Show me a crack addict that has had crack prescribed to him.

As a hospice nurse, I can tell you that, and it's "OXYCONTIN", this drug is used to treat people with chronic pain unrelated to a terminal illness as well as hospice patients with pain. It's use is limited only because most physicians do not understand their patients pain, and an overzealous Justice Department looking to bust MD's for "overprescribing" opioids.

I think the problem I have with people who are so eager to see Rush imprisoned is that it is obvious for most of them that their Rush-hatred is what is fueling their desire, rather than justice.

(I would actually exempt BullyPulpit at this point, amazingly enough, becuase it seems that his feelings come more from the "People with money, be they on the left or right, can buy themselves out of trouble - while the poor and average people get screwed." arena...I think he has a point, even in this case.)

Rush Limbaugh got addicted to a pain medication he was taking for pain...not a substance he was using for fun/recreation that got out of control due to overuse. There is a difference. Is he still a drug addict? Yep. But there is a difference. And I believe that many of the people who refuse to see a difference, refuse to see it because of who Rush is.

Truthfully, I don't like Rush's style - I do not think it inspires open communication but rather close-minded hatred for the opposing side. That's not the way I like to communicate so I don't listen to him. HOWEVER - must I go down the list of famous LIBERAL celebrities who have done ILLEGAL substances for the purpose of getting high - got addicted and have faced nothing but the loving, open, forgiving arms of the very same people who are literally giggling at Rush's plight?

The man said two comments about illegal drug use over 10 years ago? Come on now, at least admit your biases.

And of course, the bottom line to me is: You don't have to be perfect to know something is wrong. Does it make you hypocritical? Sure, a bit. But we don't live in a squeaky clean world - and no one, NO ONE, is 100% squeaky clean.

Will you tell your children that you can't tell them not to cross the street without looking both ways because you once didn't? Will you tell them, "Gee, I wish I could tell you not to talk to strangers - cause that can be really dangerous. But I did - many times, when I was little, and I'm ok...so god-forbid I make myself a hypocrite."

Will you tell your teen that unsafe sex is not something you can comment on - because you were dumb and did it once or twice in high-school or college? Will you claim no comment on college drinking because you drank in school?

I hope, for your kids sakes, that you will be smart enough to realize that part of being human is teaching lessons that you don't always follow.

Rush was right when he said that drug use is wrong and that certain people get away with it more often than others. Then he was wrong when he allowed himself to sink further and further into an addiction.

But to be honest - what offended me far more than his hypocrisy, was the rabid attacks and downright unbridled glee from people who claimed to be respectful, understanding, caring people who understood that no one was perfect and all people - regardless of color, creed, sexual orientation - should be shown respect.

And the moment that a man who had opinions they didn't like showed weakness they attacked like jackals...all while draping themselves in the cloak of righteousness because Rush was a hypocrite...pathetic.

The fact that the DNC is headed by a DOCTOR who felt it necessary to make coke-snorting jokes at the man's expense tells you a lot about how some people truly feel about being open-minded and kind - they are for it, just so long as you feel the exact same way they do.

Gem said:
I think the problem I have with people who are so eager to see Rush imprisoned is that it is obvious for most of them that their Rush-hatred is what is fueling their desire, rather than justice.

(I would actually exempt BullyPulpit at this point, amazingly enough, becuase it seems that his feelings come more from the "People with money, be they on the left or right, can buy themselves out of trouble - while the poor and average people get screwed." arena...I think he has a point, even in this case.)

Rush Limbaugh got addicted to a pain medication he was taking for pain...not a substance he was using for fun/recreation that got out of control due to overuse. There is a difference. Is he still a drug addict? Yep. But there is a difference. And I believe that many of the people who refuse to see a difference, refuse to see it because of who Rush is.

Truthfully, I don't like Rush's style - I do not think it inspires open communication but rather close-minded hatred for the opposing side. That's not the way I like to communicate so I don't listen to him. HOWEVER - must I go down the list of famous LIBERAL celebrities who have done ILLEGAL substances for the purpose of getting high - got addicted and have faced nothing but the loving, open, forgiving arms of the very same people who are literally giggling at Rush's plight?

The man said two comments about illegal drug use over 10 years ago? Come on now, at least admit your biases.

And of course, the bottom line to me is: You don't have to be perfect to know something is wrong. Does it make you hypocritical? Sure, a bit. But we don't live in a squeaky clean world - and no one, NO ONE, is 100% squeaky clean.

Will you tell your children that you can't tell them not to cross the street without looking both ways because you once didn't? Will you tell them, "Gee, I wish I could tell you not to talk to strangers - cause that can be really dangerous. But I did - many times, when I was little, and I'm ok...so god-forbid I make myself a hypocrite."

Will you tell your teen that unsafe sex is not something you can comment on - because you were dumb and did it once or twice in high-school or college? Will you claim no comment on college drinking because you drank in school?

I hope, for your kids sakes, that you will be smart enough to realize that part of being human is teaching lessons that you don't always follow.

Rush was right when he said that drug use is wrong and that certain people get away with it more often than others. Then he was wrong when he allowed himself to sink further and further into an addiction.

But to be honest - what offended me far more than his hypocrisy, was the rabid attacks and downright unbridled glee from people who claimed to be respectful, understanding, caring people who understood that no one was perfect and all people - regardless of color, creed, sexual orientation - should be shown respect.

And the moment that a man who had opinions they didn't like showed weakness they attacked like jackals...all while draping themselves in the cloak of righteousness because Rush was a hypocrite...pathetic.

The fact that the DNC is headed by a DOCTOR who felt it necessary to make coke-snorting jokes at the man's expense tells you a lot about how some people truly feel about being open-minded and kind - they are for it, just so long as you feel the exact same way they do.

I used to watch his TV show alot and liked him even though on several occasions, he demonstrated a highly-over-inflated opinion of himself. He did speak out against addicts and made no room in his comments for compassion. This was terribly near-sighted, and whether you believe in karma or not, it has come back to take a bite.

For those who are trying to excuse him based on the fact that oxycontin is a "legal" prescription drug, remember that he resorted to "illegal" means to obtain it once addicted. Also remember that he chose to take the illegal path rather than seek help from his doctor.

I think Bully is in the right ballpark. Celebrity or money get you a more compassionate justice system.

Dr Grump said:
I have. And you are no more clearer on the subject. Admitedly I have tried to "interpret" what he has been saying. I am not saying what he has said is "all encompassing stereotypical crap (and why you think that is beyond me)". All I have tried to do is understand his position as to why I would argue against "anything". Your post has done nothing to enlighten me in that regard (although, subsequent posts might).

Grow a sense of humor. I was simply poking fun at you for taking the opposite position from me on damn near anything. Dern Librull!

onthefence said:
He was, but not in the way everybody(meaning the "flush Rush" crowd) is making it out to be. I don't care for him, but he isn't your everyday addict. He was addicted to OxyCoton. This is a highly addictive pain killer that he was prescribed by a doctor. He wasn't smoking crack or shooting up. He got hooked on an overly prescribed pain reliever. If anything, it is the doctor's fault for giving him the pills. OxyCoton is bad shit and is legal. This could very well have happened to you or someone that you know.

And if he was a Hollywood lib, he'd be on Oprah and The View, getting standing ovations for his courageous fight against pain killers.

onthefence said:
Grow a sense of humor. I was simply poking fun at you for taking the opposite position from me on damn near anything. Dern Librull!

Ah...roger...Thing is, unless you use an smilie, I can't tell if you are being serious or not. Outsida the gay issue, you and I do not see eye to eye on most things, so it's hard to tell through the depersonalised medium of a keyboard :alco:

GunnyL said:
It didn't "end," but YOUR own link says:

Looks like "ended" to me.

Rush isn't my cup of tea, but it seems to me you take what he says rather seriously or you wouldn't put so much effort into attempting to discredit him.

It "ended" because Rush entered into a plea deal, not because they didn't find anything. He wouldn't have entered into a plea deal if they didn't have him dead to rights on prescription fraud.

You know what? I DO take Rush seriously because he has so many listeners who take what he says seriously. And I think he's lowered the level of debate in this country to where many people are incapable of having civil discussion any longer.

I call it the Rush Limbaugh School of Debate. You've seen it. It's where some people on the right snarl the word "liberal" and tell everyone who disagrees with them that they are morons.

Abbey Normal said:
And if he was a Hollywood lib, he'd be on Oprah and The View, getting standing ovations for his courageous fight against pain killers.

But if he were Operah, he wouldn't have spent years spouting out about how addicts (to both alcohol and drugs) should be sent "up the river".

Only fair that he get the same level of compassion and understanding as he was willing to give others.

jillian said:
It "ended" because Rush entered into a plea deal, not because they didn't find anything. He wouldn't have entered into a plea deal if they didn't have him dead to rights on prescription fraud.

You know what? I DO take Rush seriously because he has so many listeners who take what he says seriously. And I think he's lowered the level of debate in this country to where many people are incapable of having civil discussion any longer.

I call it the Rush Limbaugh School of Debate. You've seen it. It's where some people on the right snarl the word "liberal" and tell everyone who disagrees with them that they are morons.

And the "left" is more civil?

GunnyL said:
Please point out where "innocence" has been proclaimed. Must be too early in the morning because I didn't get that message from the article at all.

You know, its good to see that that stupid investigation is dropped, but it's a travesty to know that he now has to pay thousands of dollars because a prosecutor trumped up charges to begin with.

When someone uses the term "trumped up charges", it make me believe they lean towards somebody being innocent....

jillian said:
But if he were Operah, he wouldn't have spent years spouting out about how addicts (to both alcohol and drugs) should be sent "up the river".

Only fair that he get the same level of compassion and understanding as he was willing to give others.

"Years" spouting? I've seen exactly one quote.

What you apparently see as hypocritical and unforgivable behavior, I see as a man who got into very common trouble doing something he felt was wrong. I suppose you only forgive those who get addicted while thinking it's okay to do so, i.e, Robert Downey, Jr., Courtney Love, etc., etc., etc.

jillian wrote:

So we should base our criminal justice system and the level of appropriate punishment on whether or not the person spoke out harshly against the crime he committed prior to committing it?

The really sad part about all this is that Limbaugh could use his undoubted influence over public opinion in the US to halt this stupid "war on drugs" policy. He won't. He will breathe a big sigh of relief that he isn't going to be someone's bitch in the slammer (pity, would have made a good book) and will, after a decent time to allow his fans time to forget his behaviour (I give it a week) before he resumes his hypocrital rantings re drugs.

Drug addiction is a health issue. Using the criminal law to deal with a health issue simply doesn't make sense. Among other things it's a terrible waste of law enforcement resources. I can't understand why any country - my own included - continues this ridiculous situation. Oh and for good measure, the current policy is a total and absolute failure.

Diuretic Wrote:
The really sad part about all this is that Limbaugh could use his undoubted influence over public opinion in the US to halt this stupid "war on drugs" policy. He won't. He will breathe a big sigh of relief that he isn't going to be someone's bitch in the slammer (pity, would have made a good book) and will, after a decent time to allow his fans time to forget his behaviour (I give it a week) before he resumes his hypocrital rantings re drugs.

Drug addiction is a health issue. Using the criminal law to deal with a health issue simply doesn't make sense. Among other things it's a terrible waste of law enforcement resources. I can't understand why any country - my own included - continues this ridiculous situation. Oh and for good measure, the current policy is a total and absolute failure.

I agree with you on most of this...however I see the whole Rush-Drug topic more interesting from the standpoint of how people are reacting to it.

If the left had come out to say - now would be an excellent time to point out why the "Drug War" is an abyssmal failure I would be right with them.

Instead, they used their time to make coke-snorting jokes about a person with - as you put it - a health issue. This doesn't make them look like anything put petty, spoiled children...which is something they are going to have to overcome.

Gem said:
Diuretic Wrote:

I agree with you on most of this...however I see the whole Rush-Drug topic more interesting from the standpoint of how people are reacting to it.

If the left had come out to say - now would be an excellent time to point out why the "Drug War" is an abyssmal failure I would be right with them.

Instead, they used their time to make coke-snorting jokes about a person with - as you put it - a health issue. This doesn't make them look like anything put petty, spoiled children...which is something they are going to have to overcome.

Us against them---it's killing the US.

Dr Grump said:

You know, its good to see that that stupid investigation is dropped, but it's a travesty to know that he now has to pay thousands of dollars because a prosecutor trumped up charges to begin with.

When someone uses the term "trumped up charges", it make me believe they lean towards somebody being innocent....

And he sure as heck was innocent of "Doctor Shopping"

Prove that he wasnt. People are innocent until proven guilty in this nation.

Well unless you are conservative.

Jillian posted the following quotes (Note the only quotes she could find)

16 Dec 1994 On his daily radio show, conservative pundit Rush Limbaugh declares: "We have alcoholics and drug addicts in our society, don't we? And what do we say about them? 'Well, they can't help it. Why, it's genetic. Why, they have a disease. Why, put one thimbleful of scotch in front of them and they can die.' We totally exempt them from any control over their lives, do we not? Some athlete will spend two years snorting lines of coke. 'He can't help it. You know, it's -- it's just -- it's not -- it's -- it's genetic. These people -- they're predisposed to having this addictive syndrome. They -- they can't help.' Yeah, like that line of cocaine just happened to march into the hotel, go up to the athlete's room and put itself right there in front of him on his blotter."

Exactly, what was he wrong about her? For one he is talking about illegal drugs. For another he is criticizing the attitude that "People can't help it." Something he has never stated in regards to himself. He has never said he couldnt help himself. Quite the opposite. He recognized the problem and did everything he could to go over it. so what exactly is inconsistant about this statement?

5 Oct 1995 "What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too."

Can you tell me why this is even relevant? When has Rush been accused of selling drugs?

Sorry Jillian, but it just sounds like you don't like what Rush has to say and cant actually deal with it with any sort of intelligent resposne. So you have to take previous statements out of context and attack Rush for critisizing illegal drug use, when he has never had a problem with illegal drugs hasn't even done anything inconsistant with his legal drug addiction.

If Rush is a hypocrite. find me statements where he has said that he couldn't help it? Where has he used his genetic disposition as an excuse for his drug problem? if you can't then your argument is inconsistant.

As for him not accepting a deal if he wasn't guilty, that is utterly ridiculous. He has a number of reasons for why he wants to end the investigation that has nothing to do with the whether he is guilty or not. The DA has been targeting him for two years. If someone was harassing you for two years trying to malign your name and you could get rid of it for a paltry fine or have to deal with another year or two of investigation, youd probably pick the fine too. You get to the point where you just dont want to deal with this crap anymore.

The DA on the other has no reason to make the deal unless he has no case. Just the fact that its a high profile case would make the DA pursue it if there was any legitimate reason to. I know I sure as heck wouldnt have made a deal on such a high profile case if i had evidence to support it.

Looking from the perspective of both sides just on a standpoint of human nature, the DA has no self interest served in making a deal if he has the evidence to puruse. Rush has tons of self interest reasons to make a deal even if he is completely innocent.

Its called legal extortion. and its riduclous that anyone cant see whats obvious.

Gem said:
jillian wrote:

So we should base our criminal justice system and the level of appropriate punishment on whether or not the person spoke out harshly against the crime he committed prior to committing it?

Well, doesn't really matter what I think on the subject. He's getting ACD'd. Much more lenient than any of "those people" he talked about. Wouldn't spend much time worrying about him, though, if he got a nice prison sentence.

Sorry...just how I feel.

Forum List

Back