Internet linked to Depression says study

slackjawed

Self deported
Sep 27, 2008
15th congressional district of Arizona
"But it was not clear whether using the internet causes mental health problems, or whether people with mental health problems are drawn to the internet."

from ;

Internet surfers caught in a web of depression - Yorkshire Evening Post

So....which do you think it is? Claiming the internet causes 'mental health problems' or people with 'mental health problems' are drawn to the internet?
A question with no answer that speaks well of the responder.

Good question.

I've been sitting here wondering if I should respond or not. And if I do respond, what do I want to say. Confused? Yes. Why? Because this question hits close to home.

Let me say this ...
A healthcare professional suggested that perhaps I was drawn to the internet because I was suffering from depression. Up until that point, I had always thought about in from the opposite perspective. That my experiences online were the cause of my depression. I haven't come to a conclusion yet, but she did open my eyes to that possibility.

I don't usually suffer from depression, have been stuck inside a lot in front of the computer due to weather and health issues.
Despite the darkness of the weather, and the health issues, I am usually pretty happy guy.

I credit the cats and horse with keeping me happy.

I am on the fence about this as well. The same question can be asked about substance abuse, over eating, gambling, or any other addiction. I don't think there's a clear answer in most cases. And of course some people are genetically predisposed to addictions - and depression, There would have to be some kind of genetic test to be certain,

Hell---the internet is a big place----obviously it would depend on HOW people use it ? I can't imagine listening to tunes on youtube or shopping on line would clinically depress someone

The internet provides a place to go and talk to people at a momments notice. People who are lonely can find someone to talk to instantly. depressed people are often lonely.

I think depressed people are drawn to the intenet.

I also think that this is something everyone shouldkeep in mind when they insult people they are talking to.

The internet provides a place to go and talk to people at a momments notice. People who are lonely can find someone to talk to instantly. depressed people are often lonely.

I think depressed people are drawn to the intenet.

I also think that this is something everyone shouldkeep in mind when they insult people they are talking to.

I think you're full of shit----wanna talk to someone? Pick up a phone. This place should never be taken to seriously. It's a soap opera at best.

If you get a chance see the movie, "Hard Candy." Very depressing lol - see it but don't share or read about it first.

The internet is most definitely addictive. And I think it can fill a void in depressed people who crave some companionship and interaction but are at the same time feeling a need to withdraw from real life relationships.

Long hours spent online leads to lack of exercise which can exacerbate mental problems.

Hard to say if internet addiction causes depression or if internet addiction is a form of self medication for depression. Perhaps it's a vicious cycle. Perhaps some good can also come out of it. It's a (mostly) safe and anonymous way to reach out.

Maybe humans are just evolving into internet personalities and the depresssed and addicted are just advanced members of the species?

Maybe I am just trying to justify my own addiction? :lol: :eusa_eh: :eek:

Psychology: Pathologizing fun since 1900!

Does this mean we all get a free bottle of happy pills?

zoloft-does-everything2.jpg

I would have to agree that the Internet is not the cause of depression but a destination for those suffering from depression. I know when I suffered from social anxiety and mild depression that I was afraid to leave my house and preferred to just stay home. With the Internet, it's much easier to stay home and avoid all people. With all the Internet has to offer and all it's capabilities, there's really no reason someone needs to leave their home which is perfect for those that suffer from depression.

internet doesn't cause anything, so i go for
people with 'mental health problems' are drawn to the internet

For people with depression and problems relating to or being around people the internet gives them an escape. A place to go where they are interacting with others with out the problem of being around people.

I have Depression and delusional Paranoia. I have a very hard time interacting with people in groups or one on one. But on the Internet I feel safe doing so because it is anonymous unless I choose otherwise.

So it is the Internet attracts people with mental problems.

internet doesn't cause anything, so i go for
people with 'mental health problems' are drawn to the internet

You may be right. We all create our own experiences with the thoughts we have and the words we use. Spending time on the internet, meeting somone on the internet is an experience we create. That experience may turn sour, which in turn can cause one to be depressed.

Forum List

Back