In Memory of Alan Arkin, Who Died Thursday at the Age 89.

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Alan was a great actor who was equally at home in serious drama as in light comedy. He was an Oscar winner for Little Miss Sunshine and a Tony winner for his performance in Enter Laughing. He was also nominated and won many other awards for the diverse characters he brought to life. Alan has appeared in more that 130 movies, Television series, and theatrical productions.

I believe his finest movie was The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a solid 100%. The movie is an adaption of Carson McCullers award winning autobiographic novel. This is the story of a man who is both deaf and mute who struggles to help others in his life. You feel his anguish as he tries to communicate his feelings and loneliness. It is a heartfelt powerful story that I recommend to anyone who has had to deal with loneliness and the inability to communicate their feelings and ideas to others.

Last edited:
Very skilled and under appreciated actor

Remember him terrorizing Audrey Hepburn in Wait Until Dark

Alan was a great actor who was equally at home in serious drama as in light comedy. He was an Oscar winner for Little Miss Sunshine and a Tony winner for his performance in Enter Laughing. He was also nominated and won many other awards for the diverse characters he brought to life. Alan has appeared in more that 130 movies, Television series, and theatrical productions.

I believe his finest movie was The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a solid 100%. The movie is an adaption of Carson McCullers award winning autobiographic novel. This is the story of a man who is both deaf and mute who struggles to help others in his life. You feel his anguish as he tries to communicate his feelings and loneliness. It is a heartfelt powerful story that I recommend to anyone who has had to deal with loneliness and the inability to communicate their feelings and ideas to others.

Do you remember these scene from Catch 22

I didn’t hear he had died, thank you for this. The world has lost another great one :(

This was my favorite…along with Theodore Bikel, Jonathan Winters and Brian Keith.

1688254823683.jpeg

I guess he was off his game when he played a dirty talking IV drug addicted grandpa in the movie "Little Miss Sunshine" billed as a comedy. He ruined the movie for my money. Catch 22 was his prime. Maybe there should be a age limit for actors.

I guess he was off his game when he played a dirty talking IV drug addicted grandpa in the movie "Little Miss Sunshine" billed as a comedy. He ruined the movie for my money. Catch 22 was his prime. Maybe there should be a age limit for actors.
No, you might not have liked the character but he played the part well. Actors do not create rolls. They play them. The fact that he could play the Pilot in Catch 22, the deaf mute in The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, and a grandpa IV drug user in Little Miss Sunshine is a tribute to his acting ability. BTW, he won an Oscar for this performance.

Last edited:

My favorite Alan Arkin movie is The In-Laws. I laughed my ass off all through it.

Forum List

Back