Rear Window - original 1954

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
This is what we chose last night.
Once again, neither of us had seen the whole movie... bits of it here and there years ago.
Not to be missed.
Part comedy, part drama... you probably already know the story line so no need to tell it again.
Grace Kelly - yeah... what an elegant woman. Beautiful.
Just a fun movie that is worth the $3.99 stream rent.

I think it was Hitchcocks best movie.

The way he portrays the lives of those Jimmy Stewart can see from his window. That window is now his world.

Grace Kelly is absolutely elegant

It's my wife's favorite movie. We have the dvd. I have seen it many times. I prefer "The trouble with Harry" for a Hitchcock movie.

The way he portrays the lives of those Jimmy Stewart can see from his window. That window is now his world.

It made me think of the old adage - "Men live lives of quiet desperation"... which updated to more appropriate modern thinking - 'People live lives of quiet desperation".

A great movie. When I was in my flow I had the time and inclination to watch old classics.

Did Hitchcock make anything BAD?
I don't think so.
All of his movies appeal to different people. He was THAT good.

Unfortunately, we don't have any Hitchcocks, Wells, or Coppollas any longer.

Although Clint Eastwood, Tim Burton, and Ridley Scott are some of the best moderners in my opinion.
Great story tellers.

Did Hitchcock make anything BAD?
I don't think so.
All of his movies appeal to different people. He was THAT good.

Unfortunately, we don't have any Hitchcocks, Wells, or Coppollas any longer.

Although Clint Eastwood, Tim Burton, and Ridley Scott are some of the best moderners in my opinion.
Great story tellers.
I also like Tarantino, brutally disagree with his politics and the person he is IRL - but on screen he is also a great story teller.

It was probably Hitchcock's most famous How it was done mystery. Like most Hitchcock movies, he keeps viewers on the edges of their seats, but in this movie he involves the audience in the lives of all of the characters, from the Jefferies and Lisa to Miss Torso. There isn't a moment wasted in the film.
Like most of his movies, Hitchcock creates his movies before the first scene is shot. Every scene is planned in detail. Every actor has notes as to how each scene is to be played. When a scene is blocked, the camera angles, locations of lights and microphone are are determined. In this movie models were constructed of the court yard and every thing was planned from the dog bark, to the start of a piano, to the man yelling on the third floor. It typical takes Hitchcock and his staff a year or more to completely plan a movie that will be filmed in 6 to 8 weeks.

A reporter interviewing Hitchcock ask him to describe for the audience what all happens when he arrives in the morning to start filming. He said, "I get a cup of tea and when the schedule calls for places, I blow my whistle to start the action and I blow it at the end of the scene to stop the action." I'm just there to watch and blow my whistle if something goes wrong." He went on to tell the reporter about the many months of planning and documentation developed so everyone involved in the picture knows what they are to do and when to do it.

Last edited:
It's my wife's favorite movie. We have the dvd. I have seen it many times. I prefer "The trouble with Harry" for a Hitchcock movie.
I love the Trouble With Harry. I think it is one a of a few Hitchcock movies that was funny and really fun to watch. Not much setting on the edge of your seat but a beautiful movie.

Forum List

Back