In Good Company

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
I was surprised how much I liked this one. It seems in the previews to be a typical romantic comedy, but there's some actual substance here. There's still a few sappy moments, but they're usually well enough written to be forgiven.

I didn't realize it, but this was done by the same guy who did the original American Pie.

Oh, and Scarlett Johannson's in it, that's always a plus. ;)

Rented Good Company the other day and thought it was an above average movie, barely. While I agree that Scarlett Johansson is fun to look at, her role in Good Company was rather weak. Her screen time compared to Quaid and Grace was a distant third. Quaid's performance was ok, but I did not think that Grace was very believable in his part. Nobody that twitchy gets into such a position of power. Moreover, I assume corporations do not have 26 year olds firing 50 year old guys. Certainly they leave such hatchet work up to the Inhuman Resources Department. Perhaps Johansson's soon to be released sci-fi film The Island with Ewan McGregor will be interesting.
Lincoln Six-Echo (McGregor) is a resident of a seemingly utopian but contained facility in the mid 21st century. Like all of the inhabitants of this carefully controlled environment, Lincoln hopes to be chosen to go to the "The Island" - reportedly the last uncontaminated spot on the planet. But Lincoln soon discovers that everything about his existence is a lie. He and all of the other inhabitants of the facility are actually human clones whose only purpose is to provide "spare parts" for their original human counterparts. Realizing it is only a matter of time before he is "harvested," Lincoln makes a daring escape with a beautiful fellow resident named Jordan Two-Delta (Johansson). Relentlessly pursued by the forces of the sinister institute that once housed them, Lincoln and Jordan engage in a race for their lives to literally meet their makers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399201/

Perhaps Johansson's soon to be released sci-fi film The Island with Ewan McGregor will be interesting.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because this film looks terrible to me, mainly due to that Directed by Michael Bay credit. Aside from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake (which was still an abomination, just a somewhat fun abomination), this guy's name is synonymous with cinematic crap to me.

However, I guess the fact that he's making millions of dollars while I'm rolling pennies for Ramen shows who the real winner is.

Dan said:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because this film looks terrible to me, mainly due to that Directed by Michael Bay credit. Aside from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake (which was still an abomination, just a somewhat fun abomination), this guy's name is synonymous with cinematic crap to me.

However, I guess the fact that he's making millions of dollars while I'm rolling pennies for Ramen shows who the real winner is.
I will take your word for it. I did not realize the director was responsible for so much cinematic crud. Wonder why Johansson and McGregor agreed to work with the guy? Probably all about money.

I will take your word for it. I did not realize the director was responsible for so much cinematic crud.

Don't take my word for it, I'm a movie snob. Here's a list of Bay's previous films...

Bad Boys 1 and 2
Pearl Harbor
The Rock

And, I was wrong, he produced Texas Chainsaw Massacre (and Armageddon), not directed.

But, basically, he's responsible for all those horrible, cheesy big loud action movies that I hate but other people seem to like a lot.

Forum List

Back