If you were alive in the '70s can you explain what it is I'm seeing here

All I remember from the Partridge Family is Susan Dey and that sexy little overbite of hers

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

I can say that I'm not upset when she's on the screen. Better than looking at Danny all the time.
IMO the real question is

Laurie Partridge or Marcia Brady?

I'm usually partial to blonds but when I was a boy it was Laurie Partridge all day.

51mq-GWmwvL._SY300_.jpg

So I had the opportunity to watch an old Partridge Family episode and the guest star was wearing a dog collar on his neck.

What's going on with this? Were dog collars big fashion statements for men, or what?

hqdefault.jpg
Those collar things were great. Neckerchiefs too. Grab hold of one and you had total control over the person wearing it. Hippie or biker, didn't make a difference. If you were working the door or security you were happy to see the bad ass biker wearing one, but they more often wore the neckerchiefs.

I still say that must have been some regional thing. I don't think I've ever seen it, ever. Neckerchiefs, yes. Dog collars, no.

Long story short -- you're never going to get an accurate snapshot of the time, or even of a time that was by then past, from a TV sitcom. They're not designed for accuracy.

All I remember from the Partridge Family is Susan Dey and that sexy little overbite of hers

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

I can say that I'm not upset when she's on the screen. Better than looking at Danny all the time.
IMO the real question is

I'm usually partial to blonds but when I was a boy it was Laurie Partridge all day.

51mq-GWmwvL._SY300_.jpg

Did that poster actually make her famous?

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

IMO the real question is

51mq-GWmwvL._SY300_.jpg

Yes, she was one of three gal's a a TV show called Charlie's Angels. It was a hit and she was an A list celebrity for it, but this poster made her an ICON.

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

IMO the real question is

51mq-GWmwvL._SY300_.jpg

Pretty much, yes. I had that poster on my door. She's got a great smile, huh?

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

IMO the real question is

51mq-GWmwvL._SY300_.jpg

Pretty much, yes. I had that poster on my door. She's got a great smile, huh?
Um yeah, it's the smile that draws my eyes. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

IMO the real question is

51mq-GWmwvL._SY300_.jpg
I was way more into Cheryl Ladd than Farrah

.jpg

So I had the opportunity to watch an old Partridge Family episode and the guest star was wearing a dog collar on his neck.

What's going on with this? Were dog collars big fashion statements for men, or what?

hqdefault.jpg

yup --LOL

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

IMO the real question is

I'm usually partial to blonds but when I was a boy it was Laurie Partridge all day.[/QUOTE]

51mq-GWmwvL._SY300_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Did that poster actually make her famous?[/QUOTE]
Yes, she was one of three gal's a a TV show called Charlie's Angels. It was a hit and she was an A list celebrity for it, but this poster made her an ICON.[/QUOTE]

You're talking about Laurie Partridge who was played by Susan Dey but you've posted that iconic photo of Farrah Fawcett, did I miss something?

You're talking about Laurie Partridge who was played by Susan Dey but you've posted that iconic photo of Farrah Fawcett, did I miss something?

Is an explanation really necessary? We're all here to enjoy talking about history, even art history. You don't expect us to be accurate with piddly things like correct names for the ancients, do you? We're here for the zeitgeist.

Is an explanation really necessary? We're all here to enjoy talking about history, even art history. You don't expect us to be accurate with piddly things like correct names for the ancients, do you? We're here for the zeitgeist.

Ahh but Farrah was the woman of my dreams for so long, a goddess should not be mis-labeled, it's sacrilegious blasphemy I tell you.

Ahh but Farrah was the woman of my dreams for so long, a goddess should not be mis-labeled, it's sacrilegious blasphemy I tell you.

I understand now, a fine gentleman such as yourself, must defend a woman's honor and good name. I have no quarrel with you, sir.

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

IMO the real question is

51mq-GWmwvL._SY300_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yes, she was one of three gal's a a TV show called Charlie's Angels. It was a hit and she was an A list celebrity for it, but this poster made her an ICON.[/QUOTE]

You're talking about Laurie Partridge who was played by Susan Dey but you've posted that iconic photo of Farrah Fawcett, did I miss something?[/QUOTE]
I didn't post the Farrah pic.

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

IMO the real question is

51mq-GWmwvL._SY300_.jpg

You're talking about Laurie Partridge who was played by Susan Dey but you've posted that iconic photo of Farrah Fawcett, did I miss something?[/QUOTE]
I didn't post the Farrah pic.[/QUOTE]

Damn these nested quotes :bang3:

It looks like you did some quote editing on your end?

Damn these nested quotes :bang3:
It looks like you did some quote editing on your end?
I posted Farrah as another example of a nice looking lady from the 70s. This in response to the question of which girl would you choose from the Brady Girl and the Partridge girl. My point was... to redirect the choice to something more interesting.

CB Radios?

The main point has been missed in this discussion. Congress mandated a 55mph speed limit in the mid-70's (down from 65 or 70), and speeding tickets were quite expensive. A CB radio was how truckers avoided tickets, and the general population of people who drove a lot wanted the same "protection." (This was a bit before radar detectors became viable consumer products).

CB's were mainly about avoiding speeding tickets.

The trends of every decade are always stupid, whether characterized by long hair, dope, tattoos, black fingernail polish or whatever. Always stupid.

This is because it's all about kids and marketing. Kids are generally stupid and inexperienced, and perpetually want to do things to irritate their parents. Each generation of parents has a good tolerance for their own generation's idiocies, so their kids have to take it a little bit further or go off in a different generation to achieve the desired level of irritation (of their parents). When I was a young adult, we were all hip and agreed that we would NEVER give our kids a hard time for letting their hair grow long. So our kids had long hair AND got heavily into "controlled substances" that we would never have used. Guess we weren't as cool as we thought.

Marketers want to feed that desire to be irritating in order to make money. Kids buy records, tapes, CD's of bad, irritating music, they buy goofy clothes and accessories, and retailers get rich.

Most people see the stupidity in everyone else's decade but think their own decade (basically, when you were in high school) as being forever cool. It is all a ridiculous conceit. History proves that only the 60's were actually cool.

Class of '67.

CB Radios?

The main point has been missed in this discussion. Congress mandated a 55mph speed limit in the mid-70's (down from 65 or 70), and speeding tickets were quite expensive. A CB radio was how truckers avoided tickets, and the general population of people who drove a lot wanted the same "protection." (This was a bit before radar detectors became viable consumer products).

CB's were mainly about avoiding speeding tickets.

The trends of every decade are always stupid, whether characterized by long hair, dope, tattoos, black fingernail polish or whatever. Always stupid.

This is because it's all about kids and marketing. Kids are generally stupid and inexperienced, and perpetually want to do things to irritate their parents. Each generation of parents has a good tolerance for their own generation's idiocies, so their kids have to take it a little bit further or go off in a different generation to achieve the desired level of irritation (of their parents). When I was a young adult, we were all hip and agreed that we would NEVER give our kids a hard time for letting their hair grow long. So our kids had long hair AND got heavily into "controlled substances" that we would never have used. Guess we weren't as cool as we thought.

Marketers want to feed that desire to be irritating in order to make money. Kids buy records, tapes, CD's of bad, irritating music, they buy goofy clothes and accessories, and retailers get rich.

Most people see the stupidity in everyone else's decade but think their own decade (basically, when you were in high school) as being forever cool. It is all a ridiculous conceit. History proves that only the 60's were actually cool.

Class of '67.

Yeah cause having long hair is the same as doing drugs. :blahblah: I find many adults to be terminally stupid. I don't think being young is the cause. Further, all trends are not stupid. Stupid is as stupid does. Being irritating is not a primary desire of all young people, you are projecting. Looking over at some of my LPs I don't see any selections that were made to be irritating.

I'm a fan of culture from each decade. Sometimes it's not about you. Class of 81.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back