If you were alive in the '70s can you explain what it is I'm seeing here

OK, here's my update.

I just saw two back-to-back episode where they showed little Tracy topless in the bathtub. That would never go over today. I know in European countries they don't make such a big deal about little topless girls at the beach. So how common was this on American TV in that era? Heck, how common was it at the beach.

Also, Chris and Tracy were perusing Reubin's issue of Playpen Magazine and were befuddled by what they were seeing. Was this common on other shows as well or just a running joke on the Partridge Family?

It was a punk fashion statement. Very trendy at the time.Especially spiked.or multi studded.

That picture cracks me up. This is what a dog collar should look like in punk fashion. Smaller versions of the collars were worn as bracelets .

Great example. Quite nice. You get a sweet cross over fashion from goth to softer punk as well.

665840824_o.jpg

I think this was more of an '80's thing.

Not sure WTF was the '70's "style." Apparently nothing was off the charts, but chokers would be something I'd expect a female to wear. Scarves were actually unisex (**gag**) and still are in Europe. Ascots, a form of scarf, was considered manly attire.....As I recall it may have even been adopted by the US Army Special Forces as part of their uniform which included the beret, which was raised many an eyebrow: American Men simply could not appear in a beret.

tumblr_myj3ixdjfe1rcoy9ro1_1280.jpg

I suspect the SF guy here is leading the regular army guys in some sort of training. Interesting contrast in quality, regardless of head-gear....look at the Gomers!

Last edited:
: American Men simply could not appear in a beret.

I don't remember any such restriction - I was wearing a beret around then when I returned from living in France.

You think I'm speaking literally? Obviously, there was no LAW passed banning berets, and it comes as no surprise that if one was living outside the USA, then one might wear a beret.

No, FIGURATIVELY, Americans, particularly those that were members of the armed forces, were not embracing the beret in 1970.

: American Men simply could not appear in a beret.

I don't remember any such restriction - I was wearing a beret around then when I returned from living in France.

You think I'm speaking literally? Obviously, there was no LAW passed banning berets, and it comes as no surprise that if one was living outside the USA, then one might wear a beret.

No, FIGURATIVELY, Americans, particularly those that were members of the armed forces, were not embracing the beret in 1970.

I didn't mean literally either -- I meant I wore a beret and nobody raised an eyebrow.
Well, a coupla women maybe...

So what am I seeing in this two photos? Keith looks like he's wearing a necklace of teeth or bones or something. What is that and why is he wearing it?

In the second photo. Um, is this dude's hair a popular style back then or what?

Weirdstuff_zpsa61a964f.jpg

You ah, really have this '70s teen boy-crush thing goin' on huh?
Hey, I'm secure in my manhood. I'm just a good dad who endures for the sake of his kids. Besides, I'm trying to understand that era by grokking it's culture, not just knowing the history of events that occurred.

So when you were a young lady, did you like boys who looked like that?

So what am I seeing in this two photos? Keith looks like he's wearing a necklace of teeth or bones or something. What is that and why is he wearing it?

PUKA shells! very popular with surfers and beach folks. I got mine, custom strung right in front of me, back in 1974 at Club Med in Kauai. :)

I also have a white angora beret in my closet. I wear them during the winter.

Hey, I'm secure in my manhood. I'm just a good dad who endures for the sake of his kids. Besides, I'm trying to understand that era by grokking it's culture, not just knowing the history of events that occurred.

In the 70's, I went for guys with long hair...or bikers. And I still like long hair on old guys now...and old bikers, lol. And if they are native american...even better!

In the 70's, I went for guys with long hair...or bikers. And I still like long hair on old guys now...and old bikers, lol. And if they are native american...even better!
So how would they cram a helmet onto the redhead's head?

PUKA shells! very popular with surfers and beach folks. I got mine, custom strung right in front of me, back in 1974 at Club Med in Kauai. :)

I also have a white angora beret in my closet. I wear them during the winter.

Eh -- I'm more familiar with cowrie shells. Now there's a symbol. :eusa_dance:

I'm actually surprised at the quality of the music that they put out on a weekly basis. Sure, it's bubblegum pop but it's pleasant and listenable. I thought it would be just a mishmash of awful musical crap, like when The Mosquitoes visited Gilligan's Island and the girls formed The Honeybees. Listening to that music actually hurt.

Here's another question. I remember from watching I Love Lucy and The Mambo Kings and The Godfather that nightclubs with musical acts took place in rooms with dinner tables and the audience would be drinking at these huge honking tables. You see the same thing in this clip. When did that kind of seating fade from the nightclub scene?

I'm actually surprised at the quality of the music that they put out on a weekly basis. Sure, it's bubblegum pop but it's pleasant and listenable. I thought it would be just a mishmash of awful musical crap, like when The Mosquitoes visited Gilligan's Island and the girls formed The Honeybees. Listening to that music actually hurt.

Here's another question. I remember from watching I Love Lucy and The Mambo Kings and The Godfather that nightclubs with musical acts took place in rooms with dinner tables and the audience would be drinking at these huge honking tables. You see the same thing in this clip. When did that kind of seating fade from the nightclub scene?

The 1940's. I never saw a place that served food and had entertainment. But back in the 40's? I loved watching those movies. Women dressed beautifully, it was elegant, and I wished I was born much earlier so I could have experienced it.

The 1940's. I never saw a place that served food and had entertainment. But back in the 40's? I loved watching those movies. Women dressed beautifully, it was elegant, and I wished I was born much earlier so I could have experienced it.

Ricki Ricardo had that kind of nightclub in NYC back in the late 50s, on TV at least. From the Godfather, Part II, there was the scene in the Cuban nightclub and that was early 60s I believe.

Is that video clip showing what is called a Dinner Club?

Women dressed beautifully, it was elegant, and I wished I was born much earlier so I could have experienced it.

My wife really likes some of the hairstyle from that era. I can't remember the details but she did ooh and ahh about a few of them.

Nightclubs -- or restaurants?

In parts of the upper midwest they have what they call "supper clubs", which sounds a little kinky, but may fit that description, and that goes on today. And I've seen a similar sort of thing in Cape Breton, where food tables are spread out amid continuous music. But they're big on music anyway.

I think there are places like that in SF and LA.
The economics of that arrangement must be plain awful. Tables take a lot of room. Live entertainment must have been expensive back in the day if that's how they did it.

Forum List

Back