If you were alive in the '70s can you explain what it is I'm seeing here

All I remember from the Partridge Family is Susan Dey and that sexy little overbite of hers

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

What kind of family value is this? Was it so common for teenage boys to be subscribers to Playboy back in the 70s?

Keith_zpsa87b3c15.jpg
Playpen isn't playboy and yes teen age boys like to look at naked women.

You mean there really was a magazine called Playpen? I thought that they just bought a playboy and put a fake cover with a fake name on it.

How was Playpen different from Playboy?

What kind of family value is this? Was it so common for teenage boys to be subscribers to Playboy back in the 70s?

Keith_zpsa87b3c15.jpg

You mean there really was a magazine called Playpen? I thought that they just bought a playboy and put a fake cover with a fake name on it.

you'd be right.. the network would have had to buy the rights to use it from playboy.
it shows how liberal tv had become in the seventies

Keith_zpsa87b3c15.jpg

Playpen is a fictional magazine. Just like when the shows give a phone number with 555 it's not a real phone number. Minor note, the Partridge family is also fictitious.

All I remember from the Partridge Family is Susan Dey and that sexy little overbite of hers

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

I can say that I'm not upset when she's on the screen. Better than looking at Danny all the time.
IMO the real question is

Laurie Partridge or Marcia Brady?

I'm usually partial to blonds but when I was a boy it was Laurie Partridge all day.
jan brady!
Yeah Being the middle sister, I bet Jan would have put out more than Marcia

Susan_Dey_3.jpg

I can say that I'm not upset when she's on the screen. Better than looking at Danny all the time.
IMO the real question is

Laurie Partridge or Marcia Brady?

I'm usually partial to blonds but when I was a boy it was Laurie Partridge all day.
jan brady!
Yeah Being the middle sister, I bet Jan would have put out more than Marcia
:beer:

So a few other things I've noticed.

1.) Ecology was big back then. Today the fad is called environmentalism. When did that change over?
2.) Laurie was big into Women's LIb. When did that term die off to be replaced by Feminism?
3.) The 70s were weird. There is less cultural shock for me when I watch I Love Lucy (50s) or Gilligan's Island (60s) than the Partridge Family and yet the 70s are closer to our era than the 50s or 60s.

So I had the opportunity to watch an old Partridge Family episode and the guest star was wearing a dog collar on his neck.

What's going on with this? Were dog collars big fashion statements for men, or what?

hqdefault.jpg

Not so much in public. We kept the his and hers in the top drawer with the handcuffs, paddles and ticklers.

1.) Ecology was big back then. Today the fad is called environmentalism. When did that change over?
2.) Laurie was big into Women's LIb. When did that term die off to be replaced by Feminism?
3.) The 70s were weird. There is less cultural shock for me when I watch I Love Lucy (50s) or Gilligan's Island (60s) than the Partridge Family and yet the 70s are closer to our era than the 50s or 60s.

1 - during the '70s. But obviously given its longevity it can't be called a "fad" especially when it produced whole cabinet position/gummint agency.
2 - Never heard of Laurie really, but I'd say that term morphed at the same time - '70s. I never liked the term feminist myself. Sounds like you want to feminize everything.
3- there is the culture you see on TV and then there's the RW. They're worlds apart. The media reflection will always be sorely out of date.

But you're not wrong, the '70s were weird. Any era that would spawn something like disco can't be called any less. Suffice to say the world of January 1 1970 was utterly different from that of 12/31/79.

Then again you could certainly say the same about the previous decade, even more. In a sense the '70s presented a backlash/regression foil to the '60s.

"After the '80s, the '90s are gonna make the '60s look like the '50s!" -- Dennis Hopper's character in the movie "Flashback", closing line

Last edited:
Today tube tops and hot pants would be considered conservative. The dog collar thing is still around, at least in NH.

So I had the opportunity to watch an old Partridge Family episode and the guest star was wearing a dog collar on his neck.

What's going on with this? Were dog collars big fashion statements for men, or what?

hqdefault.jpg
What you have here is an LSD flashback......:oops-28:

1 - during the '70s. But obviously given its longevity it can't be called a "fad" especially when it produced whole cabinet position/gummint agency.
2 - Never heard of Laurie really, but I'd say that term morphed at the same time - '70s. I never liked the term feminist myself. Sounds like you want to feminize everything.
3- there is the culture you see on TV and then there's the RW. They're worlds apart. The media reflection will always be sorely out of date.

But you're not wrong, the '70s were weird. Any era that would spawn something like disco can't be called any less.

I just find it puzzling that Leave it to Beaver is more "normal" than the Partridge Family. I would have thought that the further back into history we went the more divergent culture would become. I watch the PF and I see Shirley's crazy parents showing up wearing love beads and I'm like Huh? June Cleaver dressed to the nines doing housework is kind of weird but it's not really that far out there compared to the weird slang people used in the 70s. It's like you need to have a English-to-Seventies dictionary sometimes.

hqdefault.jpg
Those collar things were great. Neckerchiefs too. Grab hold of one and you had total control over the person wearing it. Hippie or biker, didn't make a difference. If you were working the door or security you were happy to see the bad ass biker wearing one, but they more often wore the neckerchiefs.

hqdefault.jpg
Those collar things were great. Neckerchiefs too. Grab hold of one and you had total control over the person wearing it. Hippie or biker, didn't make a difference. If you were working the door or security you were happy to see the bad ass biker wearing one, but they more often wore the neckerchiefs.

Off to google neckerchief.

But you're not wrong, the '70s were weird. Any era that would spawn something like disco can't be called any less.

I just find it puzzling that Leave it to Beaver is more "normal" than the Partridge Family. I would have thought that the further back into history we went the more divergent culture would become. I watch the PF and I see Shirley's crazy parents showing up wearing love beads and I'm like Huh? June Cleaver dressed to the nines doing housework is kind of weird but it's not really that far out there compared to the weird slang people used in the 70s. It's like you need to have a English-to-Seventies dictionary sometimes.

Dunno, I never watched the Partridge Famiily but in general that kind of LCD medium incorporates what it thinks is trendy, only kicking and screaming in protest and almost always with an application that's really lame and out of touch. It's kind of deliberately written that way I suspect so that they can relate to a mass audience that also doesn't understand that trend -- hence LCD. I'm thinking Brady Bunch for comparison.

That's why those sitcoms were pretty much the only place you would actually hear someone utter "groovy" with a straight face. It wasn't happening in the RW; it was a token.

Forum List

Back