If you were alive in the '70s can you explain what it is I'm seeing here

I noticed something odd in one of the episodes, Danny Partridge told his mom that he was going up to his room to pray.

For the life of me I can't recall a character in any episode of TV in the last few decades which so forthrightly acknowledged praying. I guess that they talked about that in 7th Heaven but I never watched that show.

There was another episode of the Partridges going to church.

It's kind of shocking to see how normal this behavior was back in the early 70s, assuming that the Partridge Family wasn't some kind of religious show. Nowadays religion has really been denormalized, kind of like men wearing dog collars, which I never see anywhere.

True story: the Partridge Family was based on the Cowsills. There was a family with dysfunctions.

So I had the opportunity to watch an old Partridge Family episode and the guest star was wearing a dog collar on his neck.

What's going on with this? Were dog collars big fashion statements for men, or what?

hqdefault.jpg

The show program hair stylists must have spent hours on this project.

That's hair? I thought it was the new Army Kevlar Helmet.

That's a type of choker necklace, popular back in the day. I loved Bobby Sherman ... anyone remember Here Come the Brides? Long hair on guys :beer:

I do remember that show. I also remember having hair just a little shorter than Bobby Sherman's and that being considered VERY short! I remember bell bottoms, I remember fabric belts with the two rings, I remember Apache moccasins! But then Saturday Night Fever hit and everyone started wearing polyester. Scary times...lol.

You must have had an old stylist....

So I had the opportunity to watch an old Partridge Family episode and the guest star was wearing a dog collar on his neck.

What's going on with this? Were dog collars big fashion statements for men, or what?

hqdefault.jpg

That's a type of choker necklace, popular back in the day. I loved Bobby Sherman ... anyone remember Here Come the Brides? Long hair on guys :beer:

I do remember that show. I also remember having hair just a little shorter than Bobby Sherman's and that being considered VERY short! I remember bell bottoms, I remember fabric belts with the two rings, I remember Apache moccasins! But then Saturday Night Fever hit and everyone started wearing polyester. Scary times...lol.

Do you mean a record needle??

They were the in thing, in California.
were?.....i lived here during the 70's very seldom seen guys wearing those....girls a few times.....guys wore bead type things but not collars.....they were not the "thing" out here.....well maybe in Frisco....

hqdefault.jpg

Do you mean a record needle??

No, some one who is willing to style us....

hqdefault.jpg

I remember all that and more. I hated SNF and the disco stuff. Blech.

hqdefault.jpg

If so, then they must have blown the entire season's budget because I can't believe what I'm seeing on the screen sometimes. Does Danny look like any stylist spent any time on his hair. This photo doesn't really capture the mayhem which appears on the screen.

danny_bonaduce_the_partridge_family_newcover.jpg

Flowers painted on yer cheek.
Live Jams in the park.
Super long hair on guys and gals.
Going without a bra.
San Francisco.

Hard to believe that about the same time, that crappy movie Star Wars came out....

Actually considering what else was going on (lookin' at you, disco), it's not hard to believe it was the same time.
That was the beginning of the end. And not just of John Revolta's credibility.

At one time, yes. On the neck or around the head like a bandana.

Interesting. What else was popular back then?
CB Radios. Silk shirts. Lays potato chips in a can.

What was up with CB radios? Were they like the cell phones of the era, serving a useful purpose or more like a source of entertainment where people liked to amuse themselves by talking in code?

Forum List

Back