If you were alive in the '70s can you explain what it is I'm seeing here

So I had the opportunity to watch an old Partridge Family episode and the guest star was wearing a dog collar on his neck.

What's going on with this? Were dog collars big fashion statements for men, or what?

hqdefault.jpg

The first thing you should always remember is that the 70's were without question the worst fashion faux pas decade probably in the history of mankind.

Nah, I wouldn't go that far..

Young-men-in-sagging-trou-0071-300x180.jpg

The American fascists are most easily recognized by their deliberate perversion of truth and fact... They claim to be super-patriots, but they would destroy every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution. They demand free enterprise, but are the spokesmen for monopoly and vested interest. Their final objective toward which all their deceit is directed is to capture political power so that, using the power of the state and the power of the market simultaneously, they may keep the common man in eternal subjection. -- Henry Wallace, VPOTUS 1944

That's a pretty incredible quote in your signature line.

At one time, yes. On the neck or around the head like a bandana.

Interesting. What else was popular back then?
2 finger lids.
Boonesfarm Wine
Ripple
Bennies and reds
Bellbottoms
Jeans with the leg sides cut out and paisley inserted to make them bell.
Make Love Not War
Haight Ashbury

Have heard of Bellbottoms but nothing else.

"2 finger lids" would have been a regional term. While I can figure out what it is, around my area we would have simply said said "an ounce of weed". The only time we ever heard the expression "lids" would be a Cheech and Chong record.

Nobody would have been caught with Boone's Farm or Ripple either. It was Yago Sangria and for a short time, Fu-Ki.

So I had the opportunity to watch an old Partridge Family episode and the guest star was wearing a dog collar on his neck.

What's going on with this? Were dog collars big fashion statements for men, or what?

The first thing you should always remember is that the 70's were without question the worst fashion faux pas decade probably in the history of mankind.

The American fascists are most easily recognized by their deliberate perversion of truth and fact... They claim to be super-patriots, but they would destroy every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution. They demand free enterprise, but are the spokesmen for monopoly and vested interest. Their final objective toward which all their deceit is directed is to capture political power so that, using the power of the state and the power of the market simultaneously, they may keep the common man in eternal subjection. -- Henry Wallace, VPOTUS 1944

Thanks -- it's an old one I ran before posters started supplying me with free material. :cool:

CB Radios. Silk shirts. Lays potato chips in a can.

What was up with CB radios? Were they like the cell phones of the era, serving a useful purpose or more like a source of entertainment where people liked to amuse themselves by talking in code?

Hard to explain -- it was as if everybody who wasn't a trucker suddenly discovered them at the same time.
I knew at least one guy, he didn't have a CB but he made sure to have a CB antenna on his car so it would look like he did. That was around the same time people would drive around with all their windows up just so it would look like they had air conditioning. I'm not making that up. :eek:

Bebopping along in your car listening to 8 track tapes and banging your tamborine.

Hitch hiking around.

Concerts.

Black lights, posters, hippie apparel and decor. (Bohemian now).

Thanks -- it's an old one I ran before posters started supplying me with free material. :cool:

I know what you mean. When I quote others in my sig, I try to make sure It's in context. I've found the times I've been quoted, they only use half the quote. It's like "You didn't build that" or "What does it matter"? It's so dishonest. When they say I do that, I ask them to prove it. They never do.

2 finger lids.
Boonesfarm Wine
Ripple
Bennies and reds
Bellbottoms
Jeans with the leg sides cut out and paisley inserted to make them bell.
Make Love Not War
Haight Ashbury

Have heard of Bellbottoms but nothing else.

You could be heard 100 yards with the bells rubbing together when you walked...

Bebopping along in your car listening to 8 track tapes and banging your tamborine.

Hitch hiking around.

Concerts.

Oh yeah, black lights and posters were required. I was one of the few in my circle who had an 8-track recorder. Gave me status. :thup: Especially when I'd use the Memorex high-bias extra freq response tapes that would bring out the sparkles in Keith Emerson's synthesizer.

V-8s.... Cigarettes.... Nehru jackets?

Hitch hiking around.

Concerts.

Oh yeah, black lights and posters were required. I was one of the few in my circle who had an 8-track recorder. Gave me status. :thup: Especially when I'd use the Memorex high-bias extra freq response tapes that would bring out the sparkles in Keith Emerson's synthesizer.

V-8s.... Cigarettes.... Nehru jackets?

You had to have a book of matches for some 8-tracks. I had strobe lights also. I didn't even do drugs...

OK, who here will admit to using the word "groovy" in conversation and when did you stop doing that?

Incense... water beds...
On your bookshelf some books on Kama Sutra, astrology and a copy of "The Prophet" by Khalil Gibran... and Zap comics...

And of course, maybe the most important thing we've lost....

a real stereo. One that you would custom design for yourself using components that were very much independent of each other.

It's all in here....

Last edited:
No one ever actually uttered "groovy" except as a joke, referring to the early Sixties when it had a shelf life of about fifteen minutes. "Far out" did live a short time. Around our circle we had the variation "outta hand" that lasted longer. Just because it wasn't trite.

hqdefault.jpg

Not just fashion.

CB Radios. Silk shirts. Lays potato chips in a can.

What was up with CB radios? Were they like the cell phones of the era, serving a useful purpose or more like a source of entertainment where people liked to amuse themselves by talking in code?

Both as a cell phone and as entertainment. Though limited for cell phone use unless you already had a plan to use em for that. Some of the portable cb radios were a bit more useful for that as you could put them on your belt and carry around.

CB radios were your portal into a social network of 40channels of communications going one within a 10-50mile radius.

The is the concrete cowboy, breaker 19 for a radio check was a request to see who's on and announce yourself. You'd start chatting up. You'd plan your keg party over them, albeit in code. You'd announce locations of county mounties trying to give people tickets.

The biggest problem with CBs was you could not initiate a call to someone, the conversation was with everyone on the channel. It was basically 40party lines. CBs are still used by truckers.

What kind of family value is this? Was it so common for teenage boys to be subscribers to Playboy back in the 70s?

Keith_zpsa87b3c15.jpg

Forum List

Back