If You Want to Know the Truth About Charter Schools, Follow the Money to the..

All you're doing, over and over, is proving that I'm right. You prefer bad traditional education dished out at crappy schools to superior education provided at charters.

They aren't superior. That's the problem. Most of them fail badly. Few of them work. Rather then tear apart the ones that don't work it's far better to ignore the problems.

When they are forced to shut down they leave many students stranded. But, you can't even manage to pull your head out of your ass long enough to look at or repair the problems within those.

In 2013, 17 charter schools in Columbus closed, joining 150 other charter schools around Ohio. It's a failure rate of 29 percent.

"$1.4 billion has been spent since 2005 through school year 2012-2013 on charter schools that have never gotten any higher grade than an F or a D," Collins said.

Collins, along with Stephen Dyer of the progressive public policy think tank, Innovation Ohio, said Ohio public schools have paid too high a price to support charter schools.

"We were told at the beginning, 'We can do it cheaper and better.' And they are doing it at twice the cost and it's worse," said Dyer.

Charter schools are funded by the state on the backs of school districts and taxpayers.
NBC4 Investigates: Taxpayers Left Holding Bill For Charter Schoo - NBC4: Columbus, Ohio News, Weather, and Sports (WCMH-TV)

Does that look successful to you?

There's more. A lot more. Do you need me to repost those as well?

First off, I simply just flat out don't believe it. I know better.

I've been to some of the charter schools here in Columbus ohio. I've seen them with my own eyes, and talked to their students face to face. When I was a Senior in high school, the kids going to these charter schools were learning in 8th grade, what I was learning in 12th.

So I just flat out don't believe what this report is saying.

Texas found evidence more in line with what I experienced.

1579.gif

Last edited:
Disir is one of the progressive nuts who has committed himself mind, body and soul to spouting lies in order to further his vision of a marxist utopia...which is what is known as "an oxy moron".

I'm also not convinced that he is altogether comfortable with the English language. Maybe what he thinks he's saying isn't what ultimately escapes..

I dunno but there's no question that charter schools are doing great. Even better, quicker, than anticipated. And the reason they are quicker to address issues, and turn their results around is because they aren't MIRED in the garbage ideology and ridiculous fads of our traditional public schools...and because the teachers are hired by people who actually know what the needs of the students are.

The teachers themselves are not necessarily the offal that is churned out by our "universities", but generally speaking people who are from the community in which they teach, who are not in the teaching profession to grab tenure and a comfy little paycheck when they themselves are illiterate morons...they are generally true teachers who have a calling and a desire to teach..and who aren't in it for benefits, money, or any other reason except they enjoy teaching.

And if they don't work out, a charter school is able to replace them.

My children went to a charter school the first few years of school. When they moved into traditional school in grades 2 and 3, they were TWO GRADES ahead of their classmates.

All you're doing, over and over, is proving that I'm right. You prefer bad traditional education dished out at crappy schools to superior education provided at charters.

They aren't superior. That's the problem. Most of them fail badly. Few of them work. Rather then tear apart the ones that don't work it's far better to ignore the problems.

When they are forced to shut down they leave many students stranded. But, you can't even manage to pull your head out of your ass long enough to look at or repair the problems within those.

In 2013, 17 charter schools in Columbus closed, joining 150 other charter schools around Ohio. It's a failure rate of 29 percent.

"$1.4 billion has been spent since 2005 through school year 2012-2013 on charter schools that have never gotten any higher grade than an F or a D," Collins said.

Collins, along with Stephen Dyer of the progressive public policy think tank, Innovation Ohio, said Ohio public schools have paid too high a price to support charter schools.

"We were told at the beginning, 'We can do it cheaper and better.' And they are doing it at twice the cost and it's worse," said Dyer.

Charter schools are funded by the state on the backs of school districts and taxpayers.
NBC4 Investigates: Taxpayers Left Holding Bill For Charter Schoo - NBC4: Columbus, Ohio News, Weather, and Sports (WCMH-TV)

I've been to some of the charter schools here in Columbus ohio. I've seen them with my own eyes, and talked to their students face to face. When I was a Senior in high school, the kids going to these charter schools were learning in 8th grade, what I was learning in 12th.

1579.gif

Just so we are clear. You are stating that the tax payers were not on the hook for 1.4 billion dollars and those schools were successes and the reason that you don't believe this is because you went to those sites. So, none of the above actually occurred. I want you on record.

The conversation that you are having is not consistent with reality, disir.

You need a nap.

You have to provide the decent education. Thus far it's been a failure.

What evidence do you have that shows either is better for the children?

The US Public Schools have been failing us for a long time and liberals are the first to admit it, because every time we turn around liberals are telling us the schools need more money because we need better education and test scores prove that.

If you read the 2009 Stanford study it shows they are at best equal to or failing. The update says that the remaining charter schools have made modest gains. Not what KG insinuates. I posted two other reports. I can post more.

So you are saying charters schools are failing more than public schools? Is that why liberals are asking for money at every turn and complain they need more money because our education system is failing?

Whatever it is he's attempting to convey, all he's doing is conveying his own inability to 1. tell the truth, and 2. understand the English language.

1579.gif

Just so we are clear. You are stating that the tax payers were not on the hook for 1.4 billion dollars and those schools were successes and the reason that you don't believe this is because you went to those sites. So, none of the above actually occurred. I want you on record.

Heres a link to prove the opposite of what you claim.

New Study Shows Better Results For Public Charter School Students Compared To Students In Conventional ... [Michigan Capitol Confidential]

I can't say for sure which is better because each of these studies have money and agendas behind them.

I don't think public schools are any better than charters, that said, charter schools I don't think are any better than public schools, of course neither you or I have the unbiased data, because we both come up with sources either way.

Now, I don't think teachers have a right to tenure, there are some really bad teachers that need to get out of the schools. That said, there are some really good teachers that need rewarded.

Also how many of the rich liberal democrats have their children in the public school system? We know that Biden's kids, Obama's kids, Clinton's kids, the Kennedys all went to private schools, the only exception was Carter.

If public schools are so great, why do liberal elites choose private over public?

The statist loons work hard to explain it away, but at the end of the day, when they do that..they're just lying.

1579.gif

When you say "those schools", do you means specifically the schools that closed? Or do you mean charter schools in general, that are still operating, and still producing better educated kids than public schools?

Again... *I HAVE BEEN* to those schools. I knew they exist, because I was there. I've talked to kids who at that time were learning stuff 4 years ahead of the public school, and I know this because I was in the public schools at that time.

As for tax payers being on the hook... remember we're talking about the parents of the students, who want their kids in better schools than the public.

Is the tax money those parents paid in, their money or not? Do you think parents should have a choice in where their kids go to school, or not? Should those parents be allowed to choose where their money goes, or not?

And just for a second, let's talk about the charter schools that closed.

You call that a failure. I call that market success.

You don't seem to understand how the market system works. A market system, doesn't promise that no business ever fails. What it promises is that bad business falls out of the market, and good business is promoted.

In the socialized government school system, no public school can fail and close. That's a failure for society. We continue to fund, massive amounts of tax money, into school systems that have absolutely horrendous education.

I would much rather have a few charter schools that did a bad job, fall out of the market and go out of business, than funding for decades on end, public schools that fail to educate.

Those charter schools that are gone, will never suck another dollar out of my wallet. Your object failure public schools, have been, and will continue to, suck dollars out of my wallet for decades. Entire generations of kids have been poorly educated thanks to your system, and at my expense.

What evidence do you have that shows either is better for the children?

The US Public Schools have been failing us for a long time and liberals are the first to admit it, because every time we turn around liberals are telling us the schools need more money because we need better education and test scores prove that.

If you read the 2009 Stanford study it shows they are at best equal to or failing. The update says that the remaining charter schools have made modest gains. Not what KG insinuates. I posted two other reports. I can post more.

So you are saying charters schools are failing more than public schools? Is that why liberals are asking for money at every turn and complain they need more money because our education system is failing?

Education is the one issue where both parties have their hands in the kitty.

It starts here with a hand picked little group of twits that issue a report called
A Nation At Risk

This is Reagan's Speech it was delivered on April 23, 1983
Ronald Reagan: Remarks on Receiving the Final Report of the National Commission on Excellence in Education

This is the report
Archived: Table of Contents

He is signalling the precise direction in which he is pushing the country. The problem is that the report says the exact same thing that every prior report says and that is that poverty is the primary issue.

Let me back up for a second. The Elementary and Secondary Education Act was originally part and parcel of Johnson's War on Poverty back in 1965. It is reauthorized every five years.
You can read a smidgen about that here if you are truly interested.
The Elementary and Secondary Education Act: HGSE News Feature

The reason that I bring that up is because education drastically changes under Clinton with Goals 2000 Act and Improving America's Schools Act . Now you are looking at standards. This becomes more heavy handed under Bush when it is reauthorized as NCLB. Mandatory high stakes testing comes into play. Note that Bush came in, like all presidents do, and that is simply stating that he is going to be tougher on everything but it actually starts under Clinton. Need I mention Obama?

Like I said, mandatory testing goes into play and picks up speed in about 2002 only how it comes out in full force is dependent on your states response to NCLB. Now, if you look hard enough you find the same exact right wing groups behind it that you expect to see. BUT, if your not paying attention then you focus only on the right wing groups then you don't see the left wing groups.

So, this is where Michigan is at and look at who is asking for what:
Lawmakers hike K-12 funding, nix standardized test - Washington Times

GLEP? is a privatization group. Right wing.

Rick Scott is for privatization as well. So, what is he asking for (and where do you think that money is really going)?

TALLAHASSEE: Gov. Rick Scott proposes $542 million boost to education spending - Legislature - MiamiHerald.com

Rupert Murdoch? Definitely right wing and NO experience in education. Nice chunk of change from Common Core
Amplify Insight Wins Contract from Common-Core Testing Consortium - Marketplace K-12 - Education Week

Say what? Yep.

Kinda like Bill Gates. Cool, huh?

Democrats for Ed Reform?
Same/same
Democrats for Education Reform

I got more.

Charter schools have become a huge way to take a lot of money and not really do a damn thing with little accountability or oversight.
Take a look at these:
Charter School Gravy Train Runs Express To Fat City - Forbes

Political whoredom is bipartisan.

However you failed to prove it, so what you said will be dismissed as is most of what you say.

Pfft...you would have sneered at the "hand picked for success" students at our tiny school.

Poor, poor, poor people with lots of learning disabilities.

1579.gif

When you say "those schools", do you means specifically the schools that closed? Or do you mean charter schools in general, that are still operating, and still producing better educated kids than public schools?

Again... *I HAVE BEEN* to those schools. I knew they exist, because I was there. I've talked to kids who at that time were learning stuff 4 years ahead of the public school, and I know this because I was in the public schools at that time.

As for tax payers being on the hook... remember we're talking about the parents of the students, who want their kids in better schools than the public.

Is the tax money those parents paid in, their money or not? Do you think parents should have a choice in where their kids go to school, or not? Should those parents be allowed to choose where their money goes, or not?

You don't seem to understand how the market system works. A market system, doesn't promise that no business ever fails. What it promises is that bad business falls out of the market, and good business is promoted.

In the socialized government school system, no public school can fail and close. That's a failure for society. We continue to fund, massive amounts of tax money, into school systems that have absolutely horrendous education.

I would much rather have a few charter schools that did a bad job, fall out of the market and go out of business, than funding for decades on end, public schools that fail to educate.

Those charter schools that are gone, will never suck another dollar out of my wallet. Your object failure public schools, have been, and will continue to, suck dollars out of my wallet for decades. Entire generations of kids have been poorly educated thanks to your system, and at my expense.

n 2010 at age 17, Al Tonyo dropped out of a vocational high school in Cleveland but still wanted a diploma.

So, he enrolled at Life Skills High School of Cleveland, one of 77 publicly funded Ohio charter schools that markets itself as a flexible alternative to traditional public schools.

Then, he dropped out again.

Tonyo was no exception.

Charter schools such as Life Skills, operated by Akron-based White Hat Management and targeting dropouts, are sending Ohio spinning off in the wrong direction. Dropout rates nationally are on the decline, but Ohio’s rate is on the rise.

Granted, some dropout charter schools graduate nearly half of their students on time, a notable feat considering students enter these programs at least a year behind their peers in traditional high schools.

But that’s not the norm.

Many dropout charter schools, including White Hat’s chain of Life Skills centers, consistently report single-digit graduation rates. Over the course of last school year, more students dropped out of Life Skills than attended on the average day.

Together, they are dragging down the state’s overall rate.

After charter schools received the largest funding boosts per pupil in the most recent state budget, state legislators are toying with the idea of giving them more money to fix Ohio’s dropout problem at a time when charter schools are reporting record-high dropout rates.

Unmotivated students

“My parents had high hopes for me,” Tonyo, now 22, said. “But I wasn’t able to grasp the bigger picture.”

Tonyo said he lacked motivation, and it didn’t help to be surrounded by fellow dropouts who shared his lack of enthusiasm.

“It was a whole big negative experience. I didn’t even want to be there,” he said of his time at Life Skills.

Sixteen years ago, drop-out recovery charter schools didn’t exist. Now they enroll roughly 14,000 teenagers and young adults, mostly in cities with high poverty and unemployment.

These students may be prone to dropping out. But charter schools especially struggle to retain and graduate them.

The state counts a dropout as an event, not as a person. If one student drops out three times in one year, that is three dropouts. It happens, a lot.

In the 2012-13 school year, more than 5,300 dropouts — a quarter of all Ohio dropouts that year — attended one of two online charter schools: the Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow or Ohio Virtual Academy. Collectively, these two charter schools have a dropout rate 45 times higher than traditional public schools, and 10 times higher than the state’s eight largest city school districts.

Another 6,829 students *— about a third of all Ohio dropouts — attended charter schools designed specifically for dropouts, among them Invictus and Life Skills. Last year, these dropout charter schools enrolled one percent of Ohio’s public school students but accounted for roughly the same number of dropout events as did public district schools, which enrolled 91 percent of Ohio’s students.

Ohio?s charter school dropouts soar, push state in opposite direction of U.S. - Local - Ohio

That free market? It ain't free.

n 2010 at age 17, Al Tonyo dropped out of a vocational high school in Cleveland but still wanted a diploma.

So, he enrolled at Life Skills High School of Cleveland, one of 77 publicly funded Ohio charter schools that markets itself as a flexible alternative to traditional public schools.

Tonyo was no exception.

Charter schools such as Life Skills, operated by Akron-based White Hat Management and targeting dropouts, are sending Ohio spinning off in the wrong direction. Dropout rates nationally are on the decline, but Ohio’s rate is on the rise.

Granted, some dropout charter schools graduate nearly half of their students on time, a notable feat considering students enter these programs at least a year behind their peers in traditional high schools.

But that’s not the norm.

Many dropout charter schools, including White Hat’s chain of Life Skills centers, consistently report single-digit graduation rates. Over the course of last school year, more students dropped out of Life Skills than attended on the average day.

After charter schools received the largest funding boosts per pupil in the most recent state budget, state legislators are toying with the idea of giving them more money to fix Ohio’s dropout problem at a time when charter schools are reporting record-high dropout rates.

Unmotivated students

“My parents had high hopes for me,” Tonyo, now 22, said. “But I wasn’t able to grasp the bigger picture.”

Tonyo said he lacked motivation, and it didn’t help to be surrounded by fellow dropouts who shared his lack of enthusiasm.

“It was a whole big negative experience. I didn’t even want to be there,” he said of his time at Life Skills.

Sixteen years ago, drop-out recovery charter schools didn’t exist. Now they enroll roughly 14,000 teenagers and young adults, mostly in cities with high poverty and unemployment.

These students may be prone to dropping out. But charter schools especially struggle to retain and graduate them.

The state counts a dropout as an event, not as a person. If one student drops out three times in one year, that is three dropouts. It happens, a lot.

In the 2012-13 school year, more than 5,300 dropouts — a quarter of all Ohio dropouts that year — attended one of two online charter schools: the Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow or Ohio Virtual Academy. Collectively, these two charter schools have a dropout rate 45 times higher than traditional public schools, and 10 times higher than the state’s eight largest city school districts.

Another 6,829 students *— about a third of all Ohio dropouts — attended charter schools designed specifically for dropouts, among them Invictus and Life Skills. Last year, these dropout charter schools enrolled one percent of Ohio’s public school students but accounted for roughly the same number of dropout events as did public district schools, which enrolled 91 percent of Ohio’s students.

Ohio?s charter school dropouts soar, push state in opposite direction of U.S. - Local - Ohio

So an unmotivated student, that dropped out of public school, dropped out of charter school? So drop outs drop out.

Tonyo was no exception.

But that’s not the norm.

Unmotivated students

So an unmotivated student, that dropped out of public school, dropped out of charter school? So drop outs drop out.

Because sweetie, that was the primary objective of those charter schools and it isn't just one.

1579.gif

Heres a link to prove the opposite of what you claim.

New Study Shows Better Results For Public Charter School Students Compared To Students In Conventional ... [Michigan Capitol Confidential]

I can't say for sure which is better because each of these studies have money and agendas behind them.

I don't think public schools are any better than charters, that said, charter schools I don't think are any better than public schools, of course neither you or I have the unbiased data, because we both come up with sources either way.

Now, I don't think teachers have a right to tenure, there are some really bad teachers that need to get out of the schools. That said, there are some really good teachers that need rewarded.

Also how many of the rich liberal democrats have their children in the public school system? We know that Biden's kids, Obama's kids, Clinton's kids, the Kennedys all went to private schools, the only exception was Carter.

If public schools are so great, why do liberal elites choose private over public?

:(

:banghead: That's the follow up to the 2009 study. It shows the small gains.

For the same reason that the rich Republicans choose private over public.

The carefully handpicked students:

"Charter schools in the United States educate a higher percentage of students in poverty (as indicated
by free or reduced price lunch eligibility) than all US public schools, as shown in Table 5. While about
half of all public school students are white, this proportion is much smaller in US charter schools
(slightly over one-third). Conversely, a much larger proportion of charter students are black than in all
public schools. The proportion of Hispanic students is slightly larger in charter schools than all public
schools as well. The proportions of charter students in the 27 states charter schools are similar to those
in all US charters. In addition, the 27 included states have a higher proportion of students who are
English language learners..."

"Because many of the students served by charter schools
start at lower levels of achievement, it is important to
understand how well their academic growth relative to
their TPS comparison advances them in absolute
achievement."

"Charter schools and their feeder schools are educating more disadvantaged students than in
2009. Across the 27 states in this study, more than half of the charter students live in poverty as
indicated by their eligibility for free and reduced price lunch programs (54 percent), a greater share
than the US as a whole and an increase for charter schools from 2009. Since 2009, the proportion of
Hispanic students in charters has begun to approach the proportion of black students. Compared to
their feeders, charter schools enroll a lower percentage of white and Hispanic students and a higher
percentage of black students."

So much for the "elite student" lie.

http://credo.stanford.edu/documents/NCSS 2013 Final Draft.pdf

Last edited:

Forum List

Back