If You are Pro-Choice, can You be a Conservative?

If you are pro-choice, can you be a conservative?

• Yes

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
I actually did a study on that back in the sixties for a pro abortion speech I was giving in college. I doubt the number of deaths due to abortions have declined a bit since 1966. For one thing we seem to be having about 10 times as many abortions now as we did before and for another. we just tried to pass a law that would have subjected abortion clinics to the same saftety checks as any other out patient surgery facility and the abortion providers fought it tooth and toe nail. Why are they objecting to such common sense legislation?

may because more than a few of them have something to hide beside a few dead infants? Like perhaps a few more dead mothers than they like us to know about?

I don't think they can really hide dead people. Folks tend to notice that sort of thing. Mostly I think that what they're hiding is simply a lack of medical and health standards in order to make more money. After all, coming up to the same codes as other outpatient surgical clinics is expensive and cuts into profits.

For the record, deaths due to abortion HAVE dropped since Roe v. Wade, but not because of Roe v. Wade. What people don't realize is that legalization of abortion coincided with the increased widespread use of antibiotics to fight infection and improved medical techniques. That's why deaths in childbirth, for both mother and child, also decreased at the same time. Generally speaking, reproduction and reproductive issues have simply become safer for women since the 1960s.

Somehow, I just knew this was going to be just another pro-choice/pro-life debate/argument rather than an answer to the OP question.

I think the OP *was* answered. If you call yourself a conservative, you should be a true conservative in the sense that Goldwater was and stay the heck out of people's bedrooms and bodies.

That was pretty succinct. And then the so-called conservatives start ranting. Not much to do about that. ;)

If you're not a conservative, you should shut your flapping, arrogant piehole about trying to tell people how to be conservative. That's like an atheist trying to instruct people on how to be Christian . . . oh wait, there are arrogant dumbasses doing THAT on these boards, too.

Ah, there it is. Republicans are extremists. Democrats are what?

A little less so. LOL Do you not think controlling another's life is extreme? And free market ideology is at another extreme. Prove me wrong.

When leftists stop trying to tell people whether and where they can smoke, what kind of car they can drive, what kind of food to eat, what kind of cosmetics to wear, how to raise their children, what temperature to set their thermostats, what words they can use and where, etc., etc., ad nauseam, THEN maybe you can tell us how simply wanting to prevent the killing of other human beings is "controlling another's life" and "extreme". Until then, your screams of protest ring hollow and hypocritical.

Why has it become necessary to define one's social alignment by checking a box... conservative, liberal, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, etc.

I'm pro-choice with the caveat that "your rights end where my nose begins."

Because people like labels and pigeonholes and everythingn stored neatly in a clearly-marked box. It's the damndest thing, but happens very predictably no matter what the venue.

Somehow, I just knew this was going to be just another pro-choice/pro-life debate/argument rather than an answer to the OP question.

I think the OP *was* answered. If you call yourself a conservative, you should be a true conservative in the sense that Goldwater was and stay the heck out of people's bedrooms and bodies.

That was pretty succinct. And then the so-called conservatives start ranting. Not much to do about that. ;)

If you're not a conservative, you should shut your flapping, arrogant piehole about trying to tell people how to be conservative. That's like an atheist trying to instruct people on how to be Christian . . . oh wait, there are arrogant dumbasses doing THAT on these boards, too.

Interestingly enough, I run into an awful lot of Conservatives telling me how to be conservative.......

Interestingly enough, I run into an awful lot of Conservatives telling me how to be conservative.......

They at least have a basis for giving instruction.

Sorry, but they don't. Two opposite sides, yelling and screaming at each other is not instructing, particularly when, ultimately, I won't be answering to them for the positions/decisions/choices made in my life's journey, which are based on the gifts bestowed on me by the one to whom I will be accountable to.

We have a new member to USMB.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/health-and-lifestyle/79492-pro-choice-conservative.html

I would like to welcome boxcargirl to this little corner of the Internet.

Her intro got me wondering. She claims to be a conservative and and is pro-choice. In most western nations, you can be a conservative and be pro-choice. But what about America?

Can you be pro-choice and be a conservative?

Why couldn't you still be a conservative? I'd say one issue doesn't really define a person. Can I be for decriminalizing marijuana and still be a "conservative"?

I'd say in the US one can be pro-choice and conservative. Just not on USMB.:lol:

We have a new member to USMB.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/health-and-lifestyle/79492-pro-choice-conservative.html

I would like to welcome boxcargirl to this little corner of the Internet.

Her intro got me wondering. She claims to be a conservative and and is pro-choice. In most western nations, you can be a conservative and be pro-choice. But what about America?

Can you be pro-choice and be a conservative?

Why couldn't you still be a conservative? I'd say one issue doesn't really define a person. Can I be for decriminalizing marijuana and still be a "conservative"?

I'd say in the US one can be pro-choice and conservative. Just not on USMB.:lol:

Can't be on other forums either.....

Can you be pro-choice and conservative.

Yes.

Are all libertarians pro-choice?

No.

Are liberals all pro-choice?

No.

Are all conservatives pro-life?

No.

Is Liberalism and Conservatism diametric opposites?

No.

Am I tired of trying to straighten out BS created by the MSM in order to generate news when there is nothing "new" in todays news?

Hell yeah.

Sorry, but they don't. Two opposite sides, yelling and screaming at each other is not instructing, particularly when, ultimately, I won't be answering to them for the positions/decisions/choices made in my life's journey, which are based on the gifts bestowed on me by the one to whom I will be accountable to.

Who said anything about "two opposite sides"? A conservative telling someone how to be conservative at least knows what he's talking about. A liberal trying to tell someone how to be conservative is like a bird trying to tell someone how to swim.

No one asked you to be answerable to anyone or said anything about your "life's journey". Get a freaking grip.

Who said anything about "two opposite sides"? A conservative telling someone how to be conservative at least knows what he's talking about. A liberal trying to tell someone how to be conservative is like a bird trying to tell someone how to swim.

No one asked you to be answerable to anyone or said anything about your "life's journey". Get a freaking grip.

I see.... If I say something that you disagree with, does that not constitute two sides? And if I fail to take your "instruction", is it not usual for the yelling and screaming to begin? How is it that you feel that you know more about the subject than I, since you "know what you're talking about"? Perhaps you ought to read what I said again, because I've got a very firm grip, thanks.

So far, it is 10:1 in favor, a good development.

I would like to think that most of us are smart enough to realize that political opinion is a spectrum, rather than a strict black-and-white choice. If most of your positions fall on the conservative end of that spectrum, then you're a conservative. You just may not be as conservative as some others are.

And it's my understanding that most female politicians, regardless of party or positions on other issues, are in favor of abortion being legal in some regard. I'm not entirely sure why that is. Perhaps political parties think that a woman who is against legalized abortion won't garner support from other women. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any female politicians who are adamantly against legalized abortion, although there must be a couple somewhere.

Sarah Palin?

Wake up and smell the coffee ladies and gentle I have yet to attend and anti Abortion rally in which most of the aprticipants weren't female.

I see.... If I say something that you disagree with, does that not constitute two sides? And if I fail to take your "instruction", is it not usual for the yelling and screaming to begin? How is it that you feel that you know more about the subject than I, since you "know what you're talking about"? Perhaps you ought to read what I said again, because I've got a very firm grip, thanks.

Way to utterly miss the point of what's being said in order to deflect off onto something entirely different. If you obtusely insist on pretending that you have no idea what the topic and point of my post is, then I will treat you as though you really are as dense as you want to pretend to be, and simply not bother answering any further.

When you take the brain out of the shrink wrap and plug it in, let me know. Until then, don't expect me to admire your "firm grip" on stupidity.

So far, it is 10:1 in favor, a good development.

I would like to think that most of us are smart enough to realize that political opinion is a spectrum, rather than a strict black-and-white choice. If most of your positions fall on the conservative end of that spectrum, then you're a conservative. You just may not be as conservative as some others are.

And it's my understanding that most female politicians, regardless of party or positions on other issues, are in favor of abortion being legal in some regard. I'm not entirely sure why that is. Perhaps political parties think that a woman who is against legalized abortion won't garner support from other women. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any female politicians who are adamantly against legalized abortion, although there must be a couple somewhere.

Sarah Palin?

Nope. Even Sarah Palin favors legal abortion in the case of danger to the mother's life, hence the "in some regard".

Forum List

Back