If rights, whither from?

I do have rights. As an example there is no way you can take away my right to pursue happiness.

Sure I can. Lock you up in a basement and give you minimal food and water. You seem to not realize you have no rights, especially when they can be just as easily taken away.

How would that stop me from pursuing happiness? I think it might help, as I would be able to ignore the distractions that make me angry, purge my body of poisons, and loose some weight.

There is no way you can take away my right to pursue happiness.

1) Do people have rights?

2) If so, where do they come from?

Is there any non-theological argument for human rights?

Well...think about it logically

Rights within what context?

Did Robinson Crusie have any rights?

No?

Why not?

Because he was ALONE.

Hence "rights" used in this way suggest that we are talking about rights within a SOCIAL CONTEXT.

So if one has them, one ONLY has them within a society of men.

Ergo, rights exist as a result of that society granting them.

Social rights are, therefore, no more "inalienable" than the society is willing not to alienate you from them.

Do we have an inalienable right to live as we choose?

Of course not.

How many inalienable rights did Gary Gilmore have?

We have over a million prisoners in the USA.

Where is their rights to freedom of movement, freedom of association, freedom to own private property?

They don't have them, do they?

And if SOCIETY took away those rights, then doesn't it follow that rights are something that can be granted ONLY by society?

Show my any "inalienable right" you think you have, and I can show you how any idiot with a gun can take it away from you.

If it can taken away, then OBVIOUSLY it could not be inalienable.

Rights are unalienable, not inalienable. Unalienable means I cannot give them away, sell them, or otherwise transfer them to others. There is no way you can take them from me because I cannot give them up.

In red.

If rights come form God and they have Rights, god must exist. You axiomatically assert they have rights, which assumes the existence of your deity and the giving of rights by your deity.

Are you trying to argue that God exists because they have rights?

That is the stupidest thing I have ever hear anyone say.

You're an idiot.

To state that x comes form y and x exists assumes the existence of y

Sure I can. The fact that you are talking at all proves rights exist.

Actually, it simply demonstrated my ability. Using your 'reasoning', the fact that a rapes b proves a's right to do so

Once again, you fail completely

Rights are unalienable, not inalienable.

• S: (adj) inalienable, unalienable (incapable of being repudiated or transferred to another) "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights"
WordNet Search - 3.0

#editors-picks-promo { background: white; border: dotted 2px #D5DADE; cursor: pointer; float: right; margin: 0 0 0 5px; padding: 0; width: 174px; } #editors-picks-promo ol { list-style-type: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; } #editors-picks-promo li { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0; text-align: center; } * html #editors-picks-promo li { clear: left; } #editors-picks-promo li a { border: 0; color: #667DA9; font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-weight: bold; padding: 0; margin: 0; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; } #editors-picks-promo li a em { color: #0E2C5D; font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none; } #editors-picks-promo li img { display: block; margin: 0; padding: 0; } #editors-picks-promo li.see-all-lists { background: white; margin: 0; padding: 0; } #editors-picks-promo li.see-all-lists a { display: block; margin: 0; padding: 0; text-align: center; text-decoration: none; }
Main Entry: in·alien·able
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)i-ˈnāl-yə-nə-bəl, -ˈnā-lē-ə-nə-\
Function: adjective
Etymology: probably from French inaliénable, from in- + aliénable alienable
Date: circa 1645
: incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred <inalienable rights>
— in·alien·abil·i·ty \-&#716;n&#257;l-y&#601;-n&#601;-&#712;bi-l&#601;-t&#275;, -&#716;n&#257;-l&#275;-&#601;-n&#601;-\ noun
— in·alien·ably \-&#712;n&#257;l-y&#601;-n&#601;-bl&#275;, -&#712;n&#257;-l&#275;-&#601;-n&#601;-\ adverb

Main Entry: un·alien·able
Pronunciation: \&#716;&#601;n-&#712;&#257;l-y&#601;-n&#601;-b&#601;l, -&#712;&#257;-l&#275;-&#601;-\
Date: circa 1611
: inalienable

retard

Another thread where the OP just wants to argue with everyone's answer.

Just state YOUR theory. Seriously.

The answer is simple, really. If you're Religious, you believe they're inherent, from a God of some sort.

If you're not Religious, like me, you believe they were defined by men, given and taken away by men, not timeless, and not inherent.

• S: (adj) inalienable, unalienable (incapable of being repudiated or transferred to another) "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights"
WordNet Search - 3.0

#editors-picks-promo { background: white; border: dotted 2px #D5DADE; cursor: pointer; float: right; margin: 0 0 0 5px; padding: 0; width: 174px; } #editors-picks-promo ol { list-style-type: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; } #editors-picks-promo li { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0; text-align: center; } * html #editors-picks-promo li { clear: left; } #editors-picks-promo li a { border: 0; color: #667DA9; font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-weight: bold; padding: 0; margin: 0; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; } #editors-picks-promo li a em { color: #0E2C5D; font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none; } #editors-picks-promo li img { display: block; margin: 0; padding: 0; } #editors-picks-promo li.see-all-lists { background: white; margin: 0; padding: 0; } #editors-picks-promo li.see-all-lists a { display: block; margin: 0; padding: 0; text-align: center; text-decoration: none; }
Pronunciation: \(&#716;)i-&#712;n&#257;l-y&#601;-n&#601;-b&#601;l, -&#712;n&#257;-l&#275;-&#601;-n&#601;-\
: incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred <inalienable rights>
— in·alien·abil·i·ty \-&#716;n&#257;l-y&#601;-n&#601;-&#712;bi-l&#601;-t&#275;, -&#716;n&#257;-l&#275;-&#601;-n&#601;-\ noun
— in·alien·ably \-&#712;n&#257;l-y&#601;-n&#601;-bl&#275;, -&#712;n&#257;-l&#275;-&#601;-n&#601;-\ adverb

Pronunciation: \&#716;&#601;n-&#712;&#257;l-y&#601;-n&#601;-b&#601;l, -&#712;&#257;-l&#275;-&#601;-\

retard

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

The Declaration of Independence - TEXT

:razz:

WordNet Search - 3.0

Pronunciation: \(&#716;)i-&#712;n&#257;l-y&#601;-n&#601;-b&#601;l, -&#712;n&#257;-l&#275;-&#601;-n&#601;-\

retard

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.
The Declaration of Independence - TEXT

:razz:

And?

Wana get technical? What the fuck is Pensylvania and why was Pennsylvania not a signatory to the Constitution? Since they never signed onto it, are they a State? Is Pensylvania a State whilst Pennsylvania is not?

You're pretty much saying blue cheesse isn't bleu cheese.

-in the process, you simply look like an idiot.

I am. I Want. I achieve. :lol: I want more . I achieve more. :lol:

Try to steal from me and it is your ass. :lol:

You always try to paint that piss pot a different color, call it by a different name, but in the end it is still a piss pot. :lol:

Life, Liberty, Property, the Pursuit of Happiness. The laws Our society establishes to protect those basic principles. Say it JB. Just once. Say Inalienable Right. :lol:

You exist. There are things about You, when invaded, that will demand justice, retaliation, even punishment. How is that different from anybody else????? What is it about each of us that will not settle for less????? What in us, cuts through the hype and double speak??? What is it about a society, who's goal is to break and corrupt the individual, that you find yourself obligated to????? Why would you condone evil for evil's sake???

In red.

If rights come form God and they have Rights, god must exist. You axiomatically assert they have rights, which assumes the existence of your deity and the giving of rights by your deity.

You're an idiot.

Actually, it simply demonstrated my ability. Using your 'reasoning', the fact that a rapes b proves a's right to do so

Keep trying.

Just because they think that rights come from God does not mean they do not have rights if God does not exist, anymore than it would mean that the universe does not exist if God does not exist. You are speciously attempting to claim that their rights do not exist if God does not exist. You think you are being clever, but the truth is you are proving just how incapable you are of actually reasoning. I would also like to point out that you are making assumptions based on absolutely no evidence that I believe the same thing they do. A quick glance at my user title should dispel that.

They have rights, and their belief about the origin of their rights makes no difference. Just like your belief that people in persistent vegetative states can communicate through thought pictures does not change the facts, their belief does not change the facts. You have managed to paint yourself into a stupid corner, and are to blind to even notice. Keep on posting though, it amuses me to see it. Why don't you post something about the existence of the Loch Ness monster?

i contend that social contracts recognize natural rights

So some have more natural rights than others at different times throughout history?
where abominations like slavery exist, the social contract is crippled

How so? You assume there exists a singular social contract between all humanity, but history shows us that this simply isn't the case.

Was Rome really much more volatile than any other society? All civilizations in history have eventually ended, but Rome lasted far longer than many.
i contend that natural rights are a constant by definition. social contracts do indeed vary. the purpose of democracy is to facilitate the reciprocal exchange of rights between government and its constituents. as a republic, democracy facilitated the stability i speak of in rome's case. democracy can empower those inclusive in the social contract against those excluded. obviously in cases of slavery societies haven't felt the necessity to extend the contract to the slaves. nevertheless, were slaves in bondage under duress, or were they there on their free will, and pleased to be of service to their masters? because the former is the case, a volatility is created by virtue of trespass of natural rights.
it requires force to fend off dissenters

And do not all? Those dissenters who refuse to agree and comply with the common terms and seek to rob or kill you or me are me with force by those with whom we have conditions of mutual protection.
the social contract is a promise or agreement; promises can be broken at any time. in doing so, again, there is volatility. if if this infidelity is pervasive among the constituents of government, you have anarchy - if by the government itself, you have tyranny.
again, the rights of the slaves existed before, during and after their bondage.

And where did they come from, since you disagree with Epsilon about them coming from the social contract. And do all lifeforms have these same rights? Only intelligent life? Only humans? Only humans of your same race, nationality, socioeconomic class, or ideology?

these rights are constant. the subjects which interact with them and the basis of that interaction is not relevant. intelligent life seems to pick up on them in more sophisticated ways than simpler critters, but the instinctive fabrics of all social beings' cohabitation reflects this truth. evolutionary existentialists argue that these 'understandings' of natural rights were adapted into the psyche of animals which rely on a social structure for their survival.

humans understand these rights because of our intellect, but failing that, or in the case of a pack of wolves for example, the paradigm still exists: basic rights which determine volatility or stability of a social group. aren't ants and bacterial colonies subject to this law just as much as we are?

where did these rights come from? this is where your attribution to god or other comes in. if gravitation is another constant, but in the context of physics, from where did that come?

whither from cometh all ye laws of gaia?

Last edited:
i contend that social contracts recognize natural rights

So some have more natural rights than others at different times throughout history?

How so? You assume there exists a singular social contract between all humanity, but history shows us that this simply isn't the case.

Was Rome really much more volatile than any other society? All civilizations in history have eventually ended, but Rome lasted far longer than many.
i contend that natural rights are a constant by definition. social contracts do indeed vary. the purpose of democracy is to facilitate the reciprocal exchange of rights between government and its constituents. as a republic, democracy facilitated the stability i speak of in rome's case. democracy can empower those inclusive in the social contract against those excluded. obviously in cases of slavery societies haven't felt the necessity to extend the contract to the slaves. nevertheless, were slaves in bondage under duress, or were they there on their free will, and pleased to be of service to their masters? because the former is the case, a volatility is created by virtue of trespass of natural rights.

the social contract is a promise or agreement; promises can be broken at any time. in doing so, again, there is volatility. if if this infidelity is pervasive among the constituents of government, you have anarchy - if by the government itself, you have tyranny.

And where did they come from, since you disagree with Epsilon about them coming from the social contract. And do all lifeforms have these same rights? Only intelligent life? Only humans? Only humans of your same race, nationality, socioeconomic class, or ideology?

these rights are constant. the subjects which interact with them and the basis of that interaction is not relevant. intelligent life seems to pick up on them in more sophisticated ways than simpler critters, but the instinctive fabrics of all social beings' cohabitation reflects this truth. evolutionary existentialists argue that these 'understandings' of natural rights were adapted into the psyche of animals which rely on a social structure for their survival.

humans understand these rights because of our intellect, but failing that, or in the case of a pack of wolves for example, the paradigm still exists: basic rights which determine volatility or stability of a social group. aren't ants and bacterial colonies subject to this law just as much as we are?

where did these rights come from? this is where your attribution to god or other comes in. if gravitation is another constant, but in the context of physics, from where did that come?

whither from cometh all ye laws of gaia?
It sounds like you are attesting that there are inherent rights. Under that guise I would ask what are those rights? Rights differ MASSIVELY depending on when and where you are. Even in present day there are huge differences in what are perceived rights from Americans and other nations particularly eastern nations. If there are inherent rights then they should be able to be identified. More importantly, I believe that the amount and scope of rights INCREASES as society becomes more mature and resources become more available at lesser cost.

No, rights are not inherent but subject to the grater society that creates them and those rights change as time and society pass.

You're an idiot.

Keep trying.

Just because they think that rights come from God does not mean they do not have rights if God does not exist, anymore than it would mean that the universe does not exist if God does not exist.

You fail again.

If the universe exists whether god exists or not, that means the assertion that the universe comes from god is false. Same with rights.

They can't have it both ways.
You are speciously attempting to claim that their rights do not exist if God does not exist.

That is the case if rights come from god as they insist. If rights exist regardless of whether god exists, then the claim that rights come from god is false and they must try again.

It's not that complicated and if you can't grasp it you need to go back to remedial learning and master elementary logic.

You think you are being clever, but the truth is you are proving just how incapable you are of actual reasoning. Your sad attempts are amusing, though.
They have rights,

demonstrate

i contend that natural rights are a constant by definition.

So there exist 'natural rights'? Rights do not come from society but re either recognized or not recognized by society? Is that pretty much your position?

What are these rights? Can you define them, test for them, demonstrate their existence?
social contracts do indeed vary. the purpose of democracy is to facilitate the reciprocal exchange of rights between government and its constituents

Not quite. Any system in which the government has rights is, imho, doomed to fail as it makes the government some mythical beast- an entity unto itself. That's why the Constitution grants no rights, but only powers and authority to the government. Only people are said to have rights in the Constitution and there is a very good reason for that.

. as a republic, democracy facilitated the stability i speak of in rome's case. democracy can empower those inclusive in the social contract against those excluded. obviously in cases of slavery societies haven't felt the necessity to extend the contract to the slaves.

Have they? Is not the slave's acceptance of the status quo, regardless of whether he is happy with it, every bit the same implied consent the terms as any other man? Have not the slaves a social contract amongst themselves which makes it clear they are not in active combat for their freedom- a social contract which can change when the fervor of revolt runs through their veins?
nevertheless, were slaves in bondage under duress, or were they there on their free will, and pleased to be of service to their masters?

Was it not their decision to accept the terms rather than to raise arms for their liberty, just as the Libertarian grudgingly accepts along with his comrades that they exist within this society? true, they could change those terms of contract into those of open violence, but would that not be exactly that: changing the terms of the contract, a social contract that they are already a part of?
the social contract is a promise or agreement; promises can be broken at any time.

I'd not call it a promise so much as an understanding of the manner in which the parties involved are to behave towards eachother and their relation to one another in the social system, as well as societal ethics, codes of conduct, and the like.
in doing so, again, there is volatility. if if this infidelity is pervasive among the constituents of government, you have anarchy - if by the government itself, you have tyranny.

Even in a tyranny, is it not true that the ruled have tacitly agreed that they are accepting-at least for the time being- of the status quo, rather than agreeing to take up arms together? You seem to make the fallacy of approaching the social contract from what you feel it ought to be when in reality it merely describes what is.

these rights are constant. the subjects which interact with them and the basis of that interaction is not relevant.[/quote]

The subject that interact with the rights is not relevant? Could you clarify that statement, please?

intelligent life seems to pick up on them in more sophisticated ways than simpler critters, but the instinctive fabrics of all social beings' cohabitation reflects this truth. evolutionary existentialists argue that these 'understandings' of natural rights were adapted into the psyche of animals which rely on a social structure for their survival.

I see no signs that ants, which rely on their own social order for survival,. recognize any such rights. Nor bees.

And since we both exist together? Does E.Coli have the same inherent rights as you do? Is it then murder* to kill such a bacterium when it has not harmed you, merely because its existence is not to your liking?

*in the common ethical sense, rather than the legal

So you assert that natural rights are on the same order as the basic forces? What particle carries these rights? Can you show me natural rights as I can show you the effects of gravitation? Can you capture a Right as I can capture a quark or an electron? Can these rights be detected and organized as the three generations of fermions? Tested for like a graviton, captured and converted like a photon?

Perhaps they are conveyed by the Higgs Boson?

i contend that natural rights are a constant by definition.

So there exist 'natural rights'? Rights do not come from society but re either recognized or not recognized by society? Is that pretty much your position?

What are these rights? Can you define them, test for them, demonstrate their existence?
yes, this is my position.

defined: the infinite faces of absolute freedom. defined within a social contract of a functioning society: those freedoms to the extent which they do not infringe on other's freedoms, optionally: and to the extent they serve the order and function of society.

rights are concepts, thus they are abstract. can one demonstrate the existence of good and evil? tangibility for creatures of human intellect is not a necessity to understanding.

social contracts do indeed vary. the purpose of democracy is to facilitate the reciprocal exchange of rights between government and its constituents

Not quite. Any system in which the government has rights is, imho, doomed to fail as it makes the government some mythical beast- an entity unto itself. That's why the Constitution grants no rights, but only powers and authority to the government. Only people are said to have rights in the Constitution and there is a very good reason for that.
so far you've been right about the failure. nevertheless, democracy helps to mitigate failure on the basis of my social volatility, by putting the constituents of government in the drivers seat :eusa_hand: the co-pilots seat, at least.

the distinction you've made about the rights of government in the constitution is semantic, isn't it? i'd say that it is understood that the government has more rights than private citizens when it comes to the broad powers it was granted therein.

if i go to your philosophy bookshop, you can charge me for books and coffee, but if i don't pay, you can't justifiably lock me away in your own private dungeon. if you come to this country, however, sell a bunch of philosophy books and don't pay taxes from the sales, justifiably, the government could lock you away in their dungeon.

'justifiable' is the public opinion as witness to rights being exercised. (try justifiable homicide, for example)

you're right, too, about there being a good reason for the semantic distinction of rights and powers. the nuance of fairness goes a long way in the execution of a social contract.

Have they? Is not the slave's acceptance of the status quo, regardless of whether he is happy with it, every bit the same implied consent the terms as any other man? Have not the slaves a social contract amongst themselves which makes it clear they are not in active combat for their freedom- a social contract which can change when the fervor of revolt runs through their veins?

Was it not their decision to accept the terms rather than to raise arms for their liberty, just as the Libertarian grudgingly accepts along with his comrades that they exist within this society? true, they could change those terms of contract into those of open violence, but would that not be exactly that: changing the terms of the contract, a social contract that they are already a part of?
well, slaves aren't in the social contract extended to the rest of the population. their contract is tyrannical. i never go as far as predicting failure or instantaneous rebellion, because tyranny, carefully crafted, can withstand my social volatility by force, disenfranchisement, misinformation, isolation, etc. that slaves were entertainment for the romans solidified the free population's support for the status quo. that slaves were a component of quality of life and economic prosperity in the US did the same.

no runaways, no lynchings is a social contract, albeit tyrannical.
I'd not call it a promise so much as an understanding of the manner in which the parties involved are to behave towards eachother and their relation to one another in the social system, as well as societal ethics, codes of conduct, and the like.

Even in a tyranny, is it not true that the ruled have tacitly agreed that they are accepting-at least for the time being- of the status quo, rather than agreeing to take up arms together? You seem to make the fallacy of approaching the social contract from what you feel it ought to be when in reality it merely describes what is.
yeah. an understanding is fine by me. a better word even.

i feel a social contract ought to support the natural rights of the constituents an i'd roughly defined above. i attribute stability to one which can affect this support, and volatility to one which can't. perhaps there is a fallacy in that. dunno.

these rights are constant. the subjects which interact with them and the basis of that interaction is not relevant.

The subject that interact with the rights is not relevant? Could you clarify that statement, please?
quite irrelevant to the rights, themselves. you asked if these rights extended to intelligent beings, certain ethnic groups etc., and i maintain that these are components of a social contract, and challenges to that contract's capacity to support natural rights of all of its constituents. in the US, we project these rights to pet animals now, whereas our history has shown we'd failed to extend them to black people.

the rights remain the same irrespective to the contract.
intelligent life seems to pick up on them in more sophisticated ways than simpler critters, but the instinctive fabrics of all social beings' cohabitation reflects this truth. evolutionary existentialists argue that these 'understandings' of natural rights were adapted into the psyche of animals which rely on a social structure for their survival.
I see no signs that ants, which rely on their own social order for survival,. recognize any such rights. Nor bees.
certainly ants dont recognize rights as we do, but the social order which you recognize certainly has. juggle the pheromones in an ant colony, and the volatility mitigated by their evolved social order could result in the upheaval of their colony.
And since we both exist together? Does E.Coli have the same inherent rights as you do? Is it then murder* to kill such a bacterium when it has not harmed you, merely because its existence is not to your liking?

*in the common ethical sense, rather than the legal
the common ethical sense within the human social paradigm? does this need to be answered? we sell lysol at stores.

the rights are independent from the contract.

So you assert that natural rights are on the same order as the basic forces? What particle carries these rights? Can you show me natural rights as I can show you the effects of gravitation? Can you capture a Right as I can capture a quark or an electron? Can these rights be detected and organized as the three generations of fermions? Tested for like a graviton, captured and converted like a photon?

Perhaps they are conveyed by the Higgs Boson?

the force which transfers good will in the 'you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours' axiom is deeper and more mysterious as to its source than gravity or electromagnetism. nevertheless, if bacteria could not coexist, cooperate even, and in a manner which mimics sentient understanding of the constant i assert, life as we understand it will probably not exist.

are not the roots of relativity seen in the force which rights exert on society? :eusa_think:

Last edited:

Well...think about it logically

Rights within what context?

Did Robinson Crusie have any rights?

No?

Why not?

Because he was ALONE.

Hence "rights" used in this way suggest that we are talking about rights within a SOCIAL CONTEXT.

So if one has them, one ONLY has them within a society of men.

Ergo, rights exist as a result of that society granting them.

Social rights are, therefore, no more "inalienable" than the society is willing not to alienate you from them.

Do we have an inalienable right to live as we choose?

Of course not.

How many inalienable rights did Gary Gilmore have?

We have over a million prisoners in the USA.

Where is their rights to freedom of movement, freedom of association, freedom to own private property?

They don't have them, do they?

And if SOCIETY took away those rights, then doesn't it follow that rights are something that can be granted ONLY by society?

Show my any "inalienable right" you think you have, and I can show you how any idiot with a gun can take it away from you.

If it can taken away, then OBVIOUSLY it could not be inalienable.

Rights are unalienable, not inalienable. Unalienable means I cannot give them away, sell them, or otherwise transfer them to others. There is no way you can take them from me because I cannot give them up.

Sure I can. I can take away your every right.

I can kill you as but one dramatic example of how that is done.

You might have a right UNDER THE LAW, QW

You might even have a right that GOD granted you.

But you do not have any right that cannot be taken away from you by any chowderhead with a gun and the will to use it.

Incidently...the distinction you're making between Unalienable and INalienable is wrong, I think/

un·al·ien·a·ble (
ubreve.gif
n-
amacr.gif
l
prime.gif
y
schwa.gif
-n
schwa.gif
-b
schwa.gif
l, -
amacr.gif
prime.gif
l
emacr.gif
-
schwa.gif
-)
adj. Not to be separated, given away, or taken away; inalienable:

UNALIENABLE

Pronunciation (US):
136991.png

Dictionary entry overview: What does unalienable mean?
&#8226; UNALIENABLE (adjective)
The adjective UNALIENABLE has 1 sense:
1. incapable of being repudiated or transferred to another

Familiarity information: UNALIENABLE used as an adjective is very rare.

Dictionary entry details

&#8226; UNALIENABLE (adjective)

Sense 1unalienable [BACK TO TOP]
Meaning:
Incapable of being repudiated or transferred to another
Synonyms:
inalienable; unalienable
Context example:
endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights
Similar:
absolute; infrangible; inviolable (not capable of being violated or infringed)
non-negotiable (cannot be bought or sold)
nontransferable; unassignable; untransferable (incapable of being transferred)
Also:
intrinsic; intrinsical (belonging to a thing by its very nature)

Last edited:
defined: the infinite faces of absolute freedom.

Poetic but pretty meaningless. Absolute freedom in anarchy and includes my freedom to act in any matter. That means I am free to act in a manner that impedes your freedom)- indeed, 'absolute freedom' is absurdity.
defined within a social contract of a functioning society

Define: functioning society.

We all know what a functioning care is- it's a car that does what it's intended to do. But what if a society is founded to make its member s powerful and subdue and dominate those around them, as many empires in history were? Would not 'functioning' then mean 'successful in conquest and oppression'?
: those freedoms to the extent which they do not infringe on other's freedoms

Do not all freedoms ultimately infringe freedoms? My freedom to steal your property infringes upon your freedom to keep what is yours, but at the same time your 'freedom' to hoard and to posses (that is, a right to property) infringes upon my liberty- that is, denies a liberty I would otherwise have) to take of the world's bounty as I might need. Thus it always rests on a decision as to which is the 'greater good', the rights of the squatters to exist and enjoy enjoy the bounty of the world as they might do naturally or the social property rights of he who is said to own the land and have a monopoly on what it might provide through serendipity, his investment, or his labour (or some combination thereof).

And are not all freedoms social things? Therefore, if rights are freedoms, are not all rights social things?
, optionally: and to the extent they serve the order and function of society.

Again, you insist they are natural rights, but your definitions rest upon social recognition and preference for one liberty, ethic, or rule over another.
rights are concepts, thus they are abstract.

If they are concepts, does that not make them, by definition, man's conceptions- that is, not things of nature (natural rights) but of men (positive or social rights, esp. as they only have meaning in a context of human interaction)?
can one demonstrate the existence of good and evil?

Do they exist as absolutes, or are they conceptions of our own mind? If the latter, then surely science can test for and measure 'good' and 'evil'. If the latter, then they are 'natural' only in the most perverse twisting of words that relies on Man's existence as a part of the world to deem all he creates natural, rendering the entire lexicon of such discourse meaningless.
so far you've been right about the failure. nevertheless, democracy helps to mitigate failure on the basis of my social volatility, by putting the constituents of government in the drivers seat :eusa_hand: the co-pilots seat, at least.

Which has what to do with the government (the product of social contract) having powers and authorities but not the rights accorded individual persons? I don't see how your response (?) has anything to do with what I said.

the distinction you've made about the rights of government in the constitution is semantic, isn't it?

Not at all, for if the government has the same rights as persons, absurdity follows. For instance, if Government is some entity or beast with the rights of man, does not its destruction violate its right to existence (that is, to life)? Hence, the concept of the consent of the governed and of the dissolution of the oppressive State and the creation of a new system if/when necessitated simply cannot coexist with any concept of the State as a 'being'; or entity that possesses the rights of men.

if i go to your philosophy bookshop, you can charge me for books and coffee, but if i don't pay, you can't justifiably lock me away in your own private dungeon. if you come to this country, however, sell a bunch of philosophy books and don't pay taxes from the sales, justifiably, the government could lock you away in their dungeon.

That is, the masses as a whole lock me away in their dungeon, as the machinations of the State are the rituals formed and bodies tasked to carry out the will of those who constitute the People who have formed or who maintain the State.

But such arguments as you pose are those of the anarchist and focus on the State as nothing more than a mob with a nice suit. As such, it is another, albeit related, discussion- and one into which to be sure to invite Dude, Agna, and KK (Kevin, not Kitten)
well, slaves aren't in the social contract extended to the rest of the population

oh, but they are. Do they not interact with their masters? Are their not rules and understandings, expressed and tacit, that govern their interactions? That is the social contract in its most basic form, and it exist wherever and whenever persons interact with one another. Thy are not extended to same rights as other persons, but even that inequality and injustice is par of the social contract(s) of which they are a part. again we have you conflating matters of is and ought and mistakenly view the SC as a single monolithic and idealized thing such as a Magna Carta or a Constitution, when such formalized, written, and massive (in terms of persons agreeing to the same terms) are the exception and not the rule.

I refer you to my current signature:

Social Contract is not an ideology. It's not a proposal. It's not a solution or a policy. It's a simple fact. It is an explanation of how humans interact and how their social systems, both formal and informal, take shape, from the underlying rules that govern their interaction to the emergence of government and laws to the rise and fall of States. Recognizing the manner in which people interact is not supporting any given system that might arise from such interactions any more than explaining how the laws of thermodynamics govern the manner in which heat spreads is advocating the lighting of a candle or a bonfire or a church or any other given flame.
-James T. Beukema
their contract is tyrannical

So you do admit they are participants in social contract?

i feel a social contract ought to support the natural rights of the constituents an i'd roughly defined above

And that's fine. But do not confuse the form you feel the social contract should take- how things ought to be- with what the social contract is- an explanation of what is.

quite irrelevant to the rights, themselves. you asked if these rights extended to intelligent beings, certain ethnic groups etc., and i maintain that these are components of a social contract,

I'm asking whether all beings or only some beings possess in whole or part the 'natural rights' you assert exist.
the rights remain the same irrespective to the contract.

The question is whether all beings or only some beings posses the same (natural) rights in your view, not whether society recognizes the same (positive or societal) rights as applying to all beings at all times.
certainly ants dont recognize rights as we do, but the social order which you recognize certainly has. juggle the pheromones in an ant colony, and the volatility mitigated by their evolved social order could result in the upheaval of their colony.

And juggling the pheromones has what to do with you demonstrating that ants recognize eachother as possessing the same natural rights you assert all humans (at least) possess? If anything, it suggests that their minds are simple, since they follow pheromones rather blindly like a poorly designed and programmed robots following a painted line off of a cliff, that it is highly dubious to claim they are even capable of pondering the question itself.

the common ethical sense within the human social paradigm? does this need to be answered? we sell lysol at stores.

the rights are independent from the contract.

I get the feeling you're avoiding the question. In your view, according to your ideology and in accordance with what premises you continue to lay out, since we (humans and bacteria) both exist together, does E.Coli have the same inherent (natural) rights as you do? Is it then wrong in your eyes to kill such a bacterium when it has not harmed you, merely because its existence is not to your liking, as you are violating its rights to life?
the force which transfers good will in the 'you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours' axiom is deeper and more mysterious as to its source than gravity or electromagnetism

Not really. It's called reciprocal altruism and its 'programming' into the minds of many species is oft referred to as the 'moral instinct'. Evolutionary Psychology deals with the study of this and other matters.

You fail again.

If the universe exists whether god exists or not, that means the assertion that the universe comes from god is false. Same with rights.

They can't have it both ways.

They are not trying to, you are. Rights exist, they have them, and nothing you can say will change that. Yet you are trying to claim that rights do not exist, and that this prove God does not exist. The burden of proof in this argument lies on you, not them, because you are trying to prove that something they have does not exist. Good luck with that.

That is the case if rights come from god as they insist. If rights exist regardless of whether god exists, then the claim that rights come from god is false and they must try again.

It's not that complicated and if you can't grasp it you need to go back to remedial learning and master elementary logic.

Until you prove that God does not exist they do not have to do anything. You are trying to argue that your statement is true without providing any evidence, and acting like your mere assertion is proof.

Talk about elementary logic. I guess I should expect this level of reasoning from someone who believes in telepathy though.

demonstrate

http://prostarins.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/bill_of_rights_page2.jpg

Sure I can. I can take away your every right.

I can kill you as but one dramatic example of how that is done.

You might have a right UNDER THE LAW, QW

You might even have a right that GOD granted you.

But you do not have any right that cannot be taken away from you by any chowderhead with a gun and the will to use it.

Incidently...the distinction you're making between Unalienable and INalienable is wrong, I think/

un·al·ien·a·ble (
ubreve.gif
n-
amacr.gif
l
prime.gif
y
schwa.gif
-n
schwa.gif
-b
schwa.gif
l, -
amacr.gif
prime.gif
l
emacr.gif
-
schwa.gif
-)
adj. Not to be separated, given away, or taken away; inalienable:
UNALIENABLE

Pronunciation (US):
136991.png

Dictionary entry overview: What does unalienable mean?
• UNALIENABLE(adjective)
The adjective UNALIENABLE has 1 sense:
1. incapable of being repudiated or transferred to another

Familiarity information: UNALIENABLE used as an adjective is very rare.

Dictionary entry details

• UNALIENABLE (adjective)

Sense 1unalienable [BACK TO TOP]
Meaning:
Incapable of being repudiated or transferred to another
Synonyms:
inalienable; unalienable
Context example:
endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights
Similar:
absolute; infrangible; inviolable (not capable of being violated or infringed)
non-negotiable (cannot be bought or sold)
nontransferable; unassignable; untransferable (incapable of being transferred)
Also:
intrinsic; intrinsical (belonging to a thing by its very nature)

You are confusing possessions with rights, just like those who argue that rights are property. You can take property from me through force, but nothing you can do will take away my rights.

Putting me in jail does not take away my freedom, it just restricts my ability to demonstrate it to the less enlightened. Denying me TV and food does not take away my right to pursue happiness, it just makes it harder for some to find it. Killing me does not take away my right to life, it just takes away my body.

My rights exist because I exist, and there is nothing that anyone can do to change that. All the law does is recognize my rights, it does not give them to me.

The distinction I am making between un and in is just me being nitpicky. The DoI uses unalienable, and I like to poke at people who think it says inalienable. They are interchangeable in English, but I think we should use the one that has historical significance. Feel free to ignore it at will though, you have that right. :razz:

Rights exist, they have them
demonstrate
Yet you are trying to claim that rights do not exist, and that this prove God does not exist

O rly?

Do cite where I've said that.
. The burden of proof in this argument lies on you

Once again you fail. The burden of proof rests with you, as it its you who asserts a thing exists.

Until you prove that God does not exist

Fail. It is is on you to demonstrate the existence of God, faeiries, aliens, pixies, and unicorns, not upon someone else to demonstrate their non-existence.

If you can't grasp it you need to go back to remedial classes and master elementary logic

demonstrate

http://prostarins.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/bill_of_rights_page2.jpg[/quote]

So positive/social rights exist. Nobody doubted that.

You've abandoned the idea of 'natural rights', then?

Forum List

Back