Imagine if I did the same thing

PlungerPete

Rookie
Jun 27, 2010
First off, I'm an atheist. After coming home after work and finding yet another church flyer stuck on my door, it got me reminiscing of all my encounters with churchies over the years.

It got me wondering, "What would happen if I did the same stuff?". Imagine you come home, and there's a paper on your door saying "There is no god!". Would you find that offensive? Or your relaxing at home, and I come knocking on your door preaching my atheist beliefs. Something tells me I would wake up in the hospital if I tried that one. Or your out shopping and I corner you in the store or parking lot telling you how your wasting your time worshiping a god that doesn't exsist.

The point of this rant is this, EVERYONE has the right to believe whatever they want, but the amount of arrogance it takes to shove your beliefs down other people's throats is both offensive and mind boggling. And let's face it, nobody really knows who's right and who's wrong.

Thanks for reading. And if your one of the small percentage of religous people who do the types of things mentioned above, please stop.

First off, I'm an atheist. After coming home after work and finding yet another church flyer stuck on my door, it got me reminiscing of all my encounters with churchies over the years.

It got me wondering, "What would happen if I did the same stuff?". Imagine you come home, and there's a paper on your door saying "There is no god!". Would you find that offensive? Or your relaxing at home, and I come knocking on your door preaching my atheist beliefs. Something tells me I would wake up in the hospital if I tried that one. Or your out shopping and I corner you in the store or parking lot telling you how your wasting your time worshiping a god that doesn't exsist.

The point of this rant is this, EVERYONE has the right to believe whatever they want, but the amount of arrogance it takes to shove your beliefs down other people's throats is both offensive and mind boggling. And let's face it, nobody really knows who's right and who's wrong.

Thanks for reading. And if your one of the small percentage of religous people who do the types of things mentioned above, please stop.

While I agree partially with your statement as you did not lump all Christians together, some Atheist's and non believers do similar things such as Bill Maher continually belittling Christians, Janeane Garofalo stating the bible is fiction and etc. There is a certain amount of arrogance in insulting Christians because it infers that their beliefs are unintelligent and illogical. Not to mention the fact that these "celebrities" use their fame as a soap box and have much larger audiences to spew hatred then a Christian going through a parking lot handing out flyers.
As you stated, nobody really knows who is right and wrong, this also applies to non believers.
I will add that handing out a flyer or saying "bless you" when someone sneezes is far less demeaning than some comments made by non believers.

If it's bullshit, why do you give it any more attention than you would any other ad?

Are you as bothered when the local dry cleaner puts something on your door? Or a girl at the mall stops you to ask if you'll sample a soft drink? Do you demand they stop trying to shove their product down your throat?

Atheists should be cool, slightly condescending. Above it all. You get all hot like this and it blows the facade of intellectual superiority.

We live in a world of junk mail and SPAM.

Most of it isn't religious.

How is that really any different?

If it's bullshit, why do you give it any more attention than you would any other ad?

Are you as bothered when the local dry cleaner puts something on your door? Or a girl at the mall stops you to ask if you'll sample a soft drink? Do you demand they stop trying to shove their product down your throat?

Atheists should be cool, slightly condescending. Above it all. You get all hot like this and it blows the facade of intellectual superiority.

Close... drop "facade of" and you have nailed it.

The thing you lack mention of is the blank look in thier eyes when one tells them they are bat shit crazy. It is creepy! :eek:

The thing you lack mention of is the blank look in thier eyes when one tells them they are bat shit crazy. It is creepy! :eek:

OR...

You could simply say "thanks I'm not relgious" and stop worrying about it.

With all the shit that some of the religous do that truly IS outragous, getting hot and bothered about a flyer on your door seems pretty silly.

OR...

With all the shit that some of the religious do that truly IS outrageous, getting hot and bothered about a flyer on your door seems pretty silly.

If our goal is to be trite and cynical about our lot a flyer is not worth a moments concern. Things change and the deck gets loaded against our survival. We need to be on the same page at times. My fear is that when faced with a truly threatening challenge a significant portion of the population will be getting ready for jesus to snatch them out of thier magic underwear. Prayer is an irrisponsible and dangerous substitute for a survival strategy.

I think you're claiming to be an atheist for the shock value and reaction you think you'll get from most people for being able to say you're an atheist.

Your entire post smacks of it.

We don't go around wondering what'll happen if we do the same things others do, we don't spent time sweating flyers left in our doors.

And unless you're sitting there wearing a t-shirt that says "I'm an atheist", I don't think you have people coming up to you on the street trying to "save you". And if you are wearing said t-shirt, you're looking for attention.

Oh, and incidentally, what "atheist beliefs" would you be preaching? :eusa_whistle:

Your comment about "nobody knows who's right or wrong" also paints you as a mock shock-value atheist, since you've just admitted by your own words that you're not sure rhere's NOT a god..

If you were as you say, you wouldn't be sitting here having these discussions, and you wouldn't waste your time starting these threads - especially if you're all for live and let live..

In other words, you're full of shit.

While I agree partially with your statement as you did not lump all Christians together, some Atheist's and non believers do similar things such as Bill Maher continually belittling Christians, Janeane Garofalo stating the bible is fiction and etc. There is a certain amount of arrogance in insulting Christians because it infers that their beliefs are unintelligent and illogical. Not to mention the fact that these "celebrities" use their fame as a soap box and have much larger audiences to spew hatred then a Christian going through a parking lot handing out flyers.
As you stated, nobody really knows who is right and wrong, this also applies to non believers.
I will add that handing out a flyer or saying "bless you" when someone sneezes is far less demeaning than some comments made by non believers.
Oh Bullshit.
You have the option of not turning on the Idiot Box or changing the channels.

Thankfully I left the land of those morons.

Oh Bullshit.

And you have the option of saying, "No, thank you" and shutting the door. Grabbing the flyer and putting it in the trash. It's what I do.

I don't like people coming to my door to 'save me' or to sell me magazines so they can go to college. I don't like coming home and finding ads rubber banned to my door. I don't like junk mail.

I believe in God, I shop, I give to charities. I just find the above messages annoying. If someone approaches my door with literature, I usually ignore them. If the security door is open for a breeze and they can see me, I go and say, "No, thank you." I close the door, until they walk away, then reopen it. I throw all junk in the trash, I don't read it. I don't let any of it effect my blood pressure.

personally, i get along much better with salespeople, be it from fillibrush or God, when we are all within arms reach of each other

being captive to one's courtesy in the flesh is, imho, astoundingly effective

~S~

Oh Bullshit.

And you have the option of saying, "No, thank you" and shutting the door. Grabbing the flyer and putting it in the trash. It's what I do.

I don't like people coming to my door to 'save me' or to sell me magazines so they can go to college. I don't like coming home and finding ads rubber banned to my door. I don't like junk mail.

I believe in God, I shop, I give to charities. I just find the above messages annoying. If someone approaches my door with literature, I usually ignore them. If the security door is open for a breeze and they can see me, I go and say, "No, thank you." I close the door, until they walk away, then reopen it. I throw all junk in the trash, I don't read it. I don't let any of it effect my blood pressure.

I did it differently when I lived in the land of brainwashed beggars and snake oil salesman..
" Hi.Did I call you ? "
Whaddya mean no ? Get the fuck out of my yard before I kick your ass"

That works well for long periods of time until the next recruits graduate from brain dead 101.

OR...

With all the shit that some of the religious do that truly IS outrageous, getting hot and bothered about a flyer on your door seems pretty silly.

If our goal is to be trite and cynical about our lot a flyer is not worth a moments concern. Things change and the deck gets loaded against our survival. We need to be on the same page at times. My fear is that when faced with a truly threatening challenge a significant portion of the population will be getting ready for jesus to snatch them out of thier magic underwear. Prayer is an irrisponsible and dangerous substitute for a survival strategy.

Upon THAT we agree.

Speaking as some kind of Christian, I am no less fearful of those Christians who are happily awaiting the end of the world than you are.

Let it be known that the believe of the RAPTURE is NOT a Christian belief, that is to say it is NOT something found in the New Testament.

It is a NEW belief system that some (kind of) so called Christians cling to.

Hey! We followers of the Jesus way of living cannot be blamed for the ravings of the obviously insane, regardless of what religion they claim to be speaking on behalf of.

This is what most militant atheists fail to understand.

They've known or been harrassed by some fruitcake ZEALOT who claims to be a Christian, and therefore assume that ALL christians are likewise nuts.

We're not.

The radical funamentalist Christians are as much of a pain in my ass, as they are in yours.

Worse, for me, they are an AFFRONT to my religion in that they have the unmitigated gall to CLAIM that they and I are on the SAME PAGE.

Imagine if you can somebody CLAIMING to be an atheist who believes a LOAD of nonsense.

Now imagine those ATHEISTS harrassing people in YOUR NAME.

Would that piss you off?

I'm betting you'd be hard pressed to explain to people that those people and you are NOT the same.

Last edited:
Strange, I've never once had anyone solicit me regarding religion anywhere I've been, or at my home. I find it difficult to believe that it's really occurring all that often to anyone else either.

Oh Bullshit.

I did it differently when I lived in the land of brainwashed beggars and snake oil salesman..
" Hi.Did I call you ? "
Whaddya mean no ? Get the fuck out of my yard before I kick your ass"

That works well for long periods of time until the next recruits graduate from brain dead 101.

I always say no, thank you, note how hot it is outside, and offer a cold drink of water. Creeps them out somehow. The offer is sincere (it usually is hot, and the ones that show up have a full suit on), and it never fails to amaze me that while they want to come into my home and preach, they're afraid the water is tainted. I could let them in and then shoot them, but a glass of water, consumed while standing outside my door is threatening. Go figure.

Strange, I've never once had anyone solicit me regarding religion anywhere I've been, or at my home. I find it difficult to believe that it's really occurring all that often to anyone else either.

I live in Wheaton, IL, church capital of US. :lol:

Wheaton, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...Wheaton has 63 churches within its limits, with an additional thirty in the bordering unincorporated areas.[citation needed] The Genius Edition of Trivial Pursuit claims Wheaton has "more churches per capita than any town in America."...

Lots of Evangelicals and some Jehovah's.

Agreed.

I have had religious evangelists knock on my door a couple times in the last two decades.

Mormons, mostly.

Harmless little boys identifying themselves as "Elders"

I try to kind because they're young and idealistic dupes.

They're respectful enough.

Last edited:

True Christians do what God leads them to do. There are some people who are intruisive, and they need to learn beter. However, here is my comment:

True Christians do what God leads them to do. Atheists need to do whatever they feel led to do. Most atheists are pretty level headed, and kind. They have moral beliefs. If you came to my door, I would listen, and hopefully we could have a discussion.

Agreed.

I have had religious evangelists knock on my door a couple times in the last two decades.

Mormons, mostly.

Well, that's why I question the faux outrage over it, seems pretty stupid to me. Yet you would think that this happened to them on a weekly basis or something, but I'm not buying it.

Agreed.

Mormons, mostly.

Well, that's why I question the faux outrage over it, seems pretty stupid to me. Yet you would think that this happened to them on a weekly basis or something, but I'm not buying it.

Oh I think their outrage is real enough.

I just doubt the amount of harrassment they claim to endure, as I think, you do, too.

Most Christians are mostly harmless.

As are most atheists, I note.

Hell! most people of every strip are basically harmless unless provoked.

Forum List

Back