Imagine if I did the same thing

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by PlungerPete, Jun 30, 2010.

1. PlungerPete

PlungerPete Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    First off, I'm an atheist. After coming home after work and finding yet another church flyer stuck on my door, it got me reminiscing of all my encounters with churchies over the years.

It got me wondering, "What would happen if I did the same stuff?". Imagine you come home, and there's a paper on your door saying "There is no god!". Would you find that offensive? Or your relaxing at home, and I come knocking on your door preaching my atheist beliefs. Something tells me I would wake up in the hospital if I tried that one. Or your out shopping and I corner you in the store or parking lot telling you how your wasting your time worshiping a god that doesn't exsist.

The point of this rant is this, EVERYONE has the right to believe whatever they want, but the amount of arrogance it takes to shove your beliefs down other people's throats is both offensive and mind boggling. And let's face it, nobody really knows who's right and who's wrong.

Thanks for reading. And if your one of the small percentage of religous people who do the types of things mentioned above, please stop.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. jeffrockit

jeffrockit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +165
    While I agree partially with your statement as you did not lump all Christians together, some Atheist's and non believers do similar things such as Bill Maher continually belittling Christians, Janeane Garofalo stating the bible is fiction and etc. There is a certain amount of arrogance in insulting Christians because it infers that their beliefs are unintelligent and illogical. Not to mention the fact that these "celebrities" use their fame as a soap box and have much larger audiences to spew hatred then a Christian going through a parking lot handing out flyers.
    As you stated, nobody really knows who is right and wrong, this also applies to non believers.
    I will add that handing out a flyer or saying "bless you" when someone sneezes is far less demeaning than some comments made by non believers.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. LuckyDan

LuckyDan Sublime

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +609
    If it's bullshit, why do you give it any more attention than you would any other ad?

Are you as bothered when the local dry cleaner puts something on your door? Or a girl at the mall stops you to ask if you'll sample a soft drink? Do you demand they stop trying to shove their product down your throat?

Atheists should be cool, slightly condescending. Above it all. You get all hot like this and it blows the facade of intellectual superiority.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    We live in a world of junk mail and SPAM.

Most of it isn't religious.

How is that really any different?

5. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Close... drop "facade of" and you have nailed it.

The thing you lack mention of is the blank look in thier eyes when one tells them they are bat shit crazy. It is creepy! :eek:

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    OR...

You could simply say "thanks I'm not relgious" and stop worrying about it.

With all the shit that some of the religous do that truly IS outragous, getting hot and bothered about a flyer on your door seems pretty silly.

7. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    If our goal is to be trite and cynical about our lot a flyer is not worth a moments concern. Things change and the deck gets loaded against our survival. We need to be on the same page at times. My fear is that when faced with a truly threatening challenge a significant portion of the population will be getting ready for jesus to snatch them out of thier magic underwear. Prayer is an irrisponsible and dangerous substitute for a survival strategy.

8. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you're claiming to be an atheist for the shock value and reaction you think you'll get from most people for being able to say you're an atheist.

Your entire post smacks of it.

We don't go around wondering what'll happen if we do the same things others do, we don't spent time sweating flyers left in our doors.

And unless you're sitting there wearing a t-shirt that says "I'm an atheist", I don't think you have people coming up to you on the street trying to "save you". And if you are wearing said t-shirt, you're looking for attention.

Oh, and incidentally, what "atheist beliefs" would you be preaching? :eusa_whistle:

Your comment about "nobody knows who's right or wrong" also paints you as a mock shock-value atheist, since you've just admitted by your own words that you're not sure rhere's NOT a god..

If you were as you say, you wouldn't be sitting here having these discussions, and you wouldn't waste your time starting these threads - especially if you're all for live and let live..

In other words, you're full of shit.

9. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Oh Bullshit.
    You have the option of not turning on the Idiot Box or changing the channels.

Thankfully I left the land of those morons.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    And you have the option of saying, "No, thank you" and shutting the door. Grabbing the flyer and putting it in the trash. It's what I do.

I don't like people coming to my door to 'save me' or to sell me magazines so they can go to college. I don't like coming home and finding ads rubber banned to my door. I don't like junk mail.

I believe in God, I shop, I give to charities. I just find the above messages annoying. If someone approaches my door with literature, I usually ignore them. If the security door is open for a breeze and they can see me, I go and say, "No, thank you." I close the door, until they walk away, then reopen it. I throw all junk in the trash, I don't read it. I don't let any of it effect my blood pressure.