If only they all had guns

Is there any situation today where guns are a bad idea? Has the culture coarsened to the point where the only means of the 'feeling' of security is by packing heat? Can a gun escalate an otherwise harmless situation, or have we become so jaded that guns and Christmas shopping go together like Peace on Earth and Goodwill toward Men?

And why should this post be dismissed as naive at best, completely wrong and inappropriate at worst? Would your parents have made a gun part of their shopping tradition?

Challenge for Luddite:

I will present a scenario for you and you must chose the action you'd take.

You are a common thief who is looking for a victim to rob. You come across three likely victims:

Old Woman
Young Boy
Middle Aged Man

One of them is armed, the other two are not. Obviously you don't know which one is so you must decide. If you choose the unarmed one you will escape unharmed but if you choose the armed one you will be shot dead.

Which one do you chose?

1. Old Woman
2. Young Boy
3. Middle Aged Man
4. None of the Above, You'd Walk Away.

looks like Lugnuts ran away.

Again

Is there any situation today where guns are a bad idea? Has the culture coarsened to the point where the only means of the 'feeling' of security is by packing heat? Can a gun escalate an otherwise harmless situation, or have we become so jaded that guns and Christmas shopping go together like Peace on Earth and Goodwill toward Men?

And why should this post be dismissed as naive at best, completely wrong and inappropriate at worst? Would your parents have made a gun part of their shopping tradition?

"Can a gun escalate an otherwise harmless situation,...?"

Maybe, but that isn't what happened and assault and battery is a violent crime; not a "harmless situation". This was a situation in which a legally owned and carried firearm resulted in a peaceful end to a violent confrontation. Most normal people would consider that a good outcome and fail to understand what your weeping and wailing is all about.

"Would your parents have made a gun part of their shopping tradition?"

Absolutely.
What's more traditional than a boy's first Red Ryder BB gun?
In my neighborhood the centerpiece of holiday dinners often was brought home by a hunter using last year's Christmas presents. Not everyone has your type of phobia.

Last edited:
Everyone with guns isn't such a good idea. If he was any kind of a man, he would have punched him back instead of drawing his weapon.

So basically it requires you to be either bigger or a much better fighter to get your way?

The one thing I never get about progressives and thier hatred of guns is that a firearm is one of the greatest equalizing forces that exists. Shooting is entirely a learned skill that crosses racial, gender, size and strength lines. Anyone can be trained to shoot, and therefore anyone can be trained to defend themselves.

gunowners1.jpg

and-intruder-wouldnt-try-to-disarm-this-woman-your-elected-representatives-promised-to-do-it-for-him-500x305.jpg

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

That's just reality. No one is responsible for your safety but you.

The guy that pulled the gun is an idiot. The guy who cut in line is a bigger idiot. Two idiots together are always bad news...

Everyone with guns isn't such a good idea. If he was any kind of a man, he would have punched him back instead of drawing his weapon.

:lol::lol: Sure buddy. I'm 65 years old and had to have my chest cracked for open heart surgery. What do you think would happen if I tried to fight some young punk who decided he wanted to screw with me???...gosh but you're ignorant.

San Antonio Man Allegedly Pulls Gun On Line-Cutting Black Friday Shopper

The evening was particularly intense for one shopper who allegedly pulled a gun on a man who punched him in the face while in line at a Sears store at the South Park Mall in San Antonio, TX, police told San Antonio Express-News.

Sgt. Rob Carey said that a man was trying to cut his way to the front of the line, which didn't sit well with his fellow shoppers, according to San Antonio Express-News. Arguments escalated to name calling before the alleged line-cutter punched another shopper in the face.

The man gets assaulted, responds legally, and you want to make this out to be something from the Wild West.

I would neg you for making Darwin Award winners look like Einstein if you hadn't already screwed up your rep.

Last edited:

Maybe, but that isn't what happened and assault and battery is a violent crime; not a "harmless situation". This was a situation in which a legally owned and carried firearm resulted in a peaceful end to a violent confrontation. Most normal people would consider that a good outcome and fail to understand what your weeping and wailing is all about.

Absolutely.
In my neighborhood the centerpiece of holiday dinners often was brought home by a hunter using last year's Christmas presents. Not everyone has your type of phobia.
But a BB gun wasn't produced at the mall was it? It was a lethal weapon. And I don't have a phobia about guns. I haver a phobia about people with edgy tempers, "Rambo complexes" and lethal weapons all mixed up in a public place.

Nothing is more frightening than a hot headed person who thinks himself either invulnerable or as a crusader packing heat in public. The "Dirty Harry" mindset is one of dire consequences.

Absolutely.
But a BB gun wasn't produced at the mall was it? It was a lethal weapon. And I don't have a phobia about guns. I haver a phobia about people with edgy tempers, "Rambo complexes" and lethal weapons all mixed up in a public place.

Nothing is more frightening than a hot headed person who thinks himself either invulnerable or as a crusader packing heat in public. The "Dirty Harry" mindset is one of dire consequences.

And yet, those states where CCW's are easy to obtain are also, paradoxically, the most peaceful. How you explain that Willis?

Anyone who has served in the military knows the power of class. Give a grunt a stripe and they become supreme commander of those without. I have been reading Vollmann's 'Rising up, Rising down' on the Russian revolution and the Kulaks, give a peasant power and all death breaks lose. Weird that those who worship guns, worship freedom, for me, given or taken, I'll take a punch in the mouth anytime over a fight with a 9mm. Bang bang you're both now dead.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." Mao Tse Tung

Anyone who has served in the military knows the power of class. Give a grunt a stripe and they become supreme commander of those without. I have been reading Vollmann's 'Rising up, Rising down' on the Russian revolution and the Kulaks, give a peasant power and all death breaks lose. Weird that those who worship guns, worship freedom, for me, given or taken, I'll take a punch in the mouth anytime over a fight with a 9mm. Bang bang you're both now dead.

No wonder you want the peasants disarmed...so your side can accumulate political power unchecked.

It's the "progressive" way.

Truth. Our Nation was formed by armed bloody-handed peasants.

"Weird that those who worship guns, worship freedom.."

As you just noted no guns=no political power=no freedom. Simple.

Absolutely.

And yet, those states where CCW's are easy to obtain are also, paradoxically, the most peaceful. How you explain that Willis?

I'm skeptical about any direct cause and effect. What were the violent crime rates in those pistol-packing states before concealed carry? Did concealed carry actually drop the violent crime rates?

What an idiotic thing to say.

I'm skeptical about any direct cause and effect. What were the violent crime rates in those pistol-packing states before concealed carry? Did concealed carry actually drop the violent crime rates?

Crime went down in Washington DC after the Supreme Court ruled against the strict anti gun laws there.

Just something to think about.

Crime went down in Washington DC after the Supreme Court ruled against the strict anti gun laws there.

Just something to think about.
It's anecdotal until proven. Would you govern based on anecdotal evidence?

Forum List

Back