If Obama is such a great President, where is the nostalgia?

What kind of history-denying moron is "nostalgic" for the 1980s and 1950s? The drug war (which we know has failed) was ramping up in the 1980s. We had the CIA running guns for death squads. Steve Guttenberg was a thing.

And the 1950s? Really? Segregation, wives beaten by their spouses with nowhere to turn, 90% tax rate.

Who are you idiots?

Ronald Reagan was such a great President that people were already nostalgic for the '80's even before the 80's were over.

Remember the second "Back to the Future" movie where Marty McFly goes to the year 2015 and walks into a "Cafe '80's" decorated like Miami Vice and there are all sorts of nostalgic memorabilia about 80's cultural icons like Michael Jackson, Ronald Reagan, Ayotollah Khomeni, as Max Headroom. There are '80's video games like Pac-Man and TV shows like Taxi on screens in the wall.

And Steven Spielberg was right. Ever since the '80's, nostalgia for that era continues to be strong. And today, the '80's remain my favorite decade in my life. There was so much hope in the young, like anything we wanted to do was possible. Movies like Working Girl reflected the spirit of young people in the '80's, to go out in the business world and kick some ass and make some money.

But I don't see any nostalgia for the Obama era, which is an era of economic decline, low work participation, and poverty amongst the middle class. Young people today lack hope that things will ever get better for them. And people are not thinking fondly of Obama, and only want to see the backside of him.

Cafe 80's

You are correct, Reagan belongs in the same genre of cultural importance as a drug-overdosed child molester, an Iranian dictator and animated MTV character. Thank you.

Nostalgia is the file that removes the rough edges from the good old days.

Doug Larson

CNN is doing a series about the 80"s...... I double dare any conservative to watch it and come back here and praise the 80's. Nothing about it was fun....unless you were filthy rich and white.

Ronald Reagan was such a great President that people were already nostalgic for the '80's even before the 80's were over.

Remember the second "Back to the Future" movie where Marty McFly goes to the year 2015 and walks into a "Cafe '80's" decorated like Miami Vice and there are all sorts of nostalgic memorabilia about 80's cultural icons like Michael Jackson, Ronald Reagan, Ayotollah Khomeni, as Max Headroom. There are '80's video games like Pac-Man and TV shows like Taxi on screens in the wall.

And Steven Spielberg was right. Ever since the '80's, nostalgia for that era continues to be strong. And today, the '80's remain my favorite decade in my life. There was so much hope in the young, like anything we wanted to do was possible. Movies like Working Girl reflected the spirit of young people in the '80's, to go out in the business world and kick some ass and make some money.

But I don't see any nostalgia for the Obama era, which is an era of economic decline, low work participation, and poverty amongst the middle class. Young people today lack hope that things will ever get better for them. And people are not thinking fondly of Obama, and only want to see the backside of him.

Cafe 80's

You are correct, Reagan belongs in the same genre of cultural importance as a drug-overdosed child molester, an Iranian dictator and animated MTV character. Thank you.
A

A guy after my own heart.....:udaman::udaman:

Reagan sucked as a president, because not only did he raise taxes several times, but he damn near broke the Navy when he tried for a 500 ship Navy without increasing the recruiting requirements so they could be properly manned.

There were carriers and other ships that were leaving out on deployment that were only 80 percent manned, which resulted in lots of extra work and watches for the crew.

Nope, I have no longing to have Reagan back.

Reagan sucked as a president, because not only did he raise taxes several times, but he damn near broke the Navy when he tried for a 500 ship Navy without increasing the recruiting requirements so they could be properly manned.

There were carriers and other ships that were leaving out on deployment that were only 80 percent manned, which resulted in lots of extra work and watches for the crew.

but a fringe sentiment s0n!!!:2up:

Presidential poll: Ronald Reagan's the greatest, Obama the worst

but a fringe sentiment s0n!!!:2up:

Presidential poll: Ronald Reagan's the greatest, Obama the worst

Anyone can make a poll say whatever they want it to. Remember the polls that said Mittens would beat Obama in 2012?

Cafe 80's
A truly moronic, ridiculous thread premise.

The ‘greatness’ of a president isn’t determined by ‘nostalgia.’
Yes, it is. Eisenhower and Reagan can be measured as great by the same yardstick, eight years of peace, prosperity, and relative happiness. That's why people are so nostalgic for the '50's and the '80's and other decades, not so much.
lots of 60's and 70's nostalgia....

Cafe 80's
Nostalgia is about something that happened in the past. Obama's presidency isn't even over. Besides, it is such a silly measuring stick for assessing the effectiveness of a president's time in office. Presidential historians will rate him based on specific criteria applied to all past presidents. He is likely to score somewhere in the middle. He has not been a bad president. Also, he will likely be remembered fondly for being the first black president, so there will be nostalgia in that sense.

You know...his presidency is almost over: why don't you stop whining about it? Get over it.
Rightwing nitwits will continue to whine about Obama for years to come.

The thread premise is also idiotic given the fact that a true, accurate, and objective accounting of a given presidency cannot be made until decades after a president leaves office.

For example, Truman was extremely unpopular during his presidency – a February 1952 Gallup poll had Truman’s job approval rating at just 22 percent; today he’s considered among our greatest presidents.
and objective accounting of a given presidency cannot be made until decades after a president leaves office.
and yet you have not given bush that much....you are a phony jones....oh and blow me....

Doug Larson

CNN is doing a series about the 80"s...... I double dare any conservative to watch it and come back here and praise the 80's. Nothing about it was fun....unless you were filthy rich and white.
Tigerred.

What was meant in that post was some look back on "the good old days." The roaring twenties, the 50's, etc.

Some only remember these times through there own experiences. Not from any other perspectives.

Like filing your nails you eliminate that which you don't want to remember or don't wish to see.

Whitewashing your own memories.

What kind of history-denying moron is "nostalgic" for the 1980s and 1950s? The drug war (which we know has failed) was ramping up in the 1980s. We had the CIA running guns for death squads. Steve Guttenberg was a thing.

And the 1950s? Really? Segregation, wives beaten by their spouses with nowhere to turn, 90% tax rate.

Who are you idiots?
The only reason conservatives find nostalgic bullshit with Reagan is because he's all they got. They'll be talking about this guy into the 22st century; because not only do conservative politicians suck, non have any real legacy to run on but Reagan and that's bankrupting the US to tear down a wall in the Soviet Union that has rendered that nation as with us, not a got damn thing.

Doug Larson

CNN...:lmao:

I'll tell you what is really really funny.....its all on tape, all recorded facts and idiots like you would keel over in your homes watching the shit....cause the truth can not be denied. Reagan sucked as president.

Diarrhea ensues when I reflect upon the Obama era.

Then you should start preparing yourself for severe constipation if Trump is elected.

Conservatives will never ever ever learn the lesson....that they suck at governing, they just do. All the fuck they know how to do is cut shit, they never come to the table with new ideas, always the same shit decade after decade after decade....sad. If either Trump or that Wilda-beast Hillary is elected, this country is gonna go straight to the fuckin bottom and stay there.

I joined the Navy in 78', number one reason shortly after Reagan was elected women were allowed on air carriers by the end of that decade....main reason I got out in 87'

Cafe 80's
A truly moronic, ridiculous thread premise.

The ‘greatness’ of a president isn’t determined by ‘nostalgia.’
Yes, it is. Eisenhower and Reagan can be measured as great by the same yardstick, eight years of peace, prosperity, and relative happiness. That's why people are so nostalgic for the '50's and the '80's and other decades, not so much.
lots of 60's and 70's nostalgia....

Every generation looks back.....but as minorities in this country, our greatest decade is yet to come.....Obama has led the way, we'll have to see who'll bring back our nostalgic memories without crackers being in them at all.

Doug Larson

CNN...:lmao:

I'll tell you what is really really funny.....its all on tape, all recorded facts and idiots like you would keel over in your homes watching the shit....cause the truth can not be denied. Reagan sucked as president.

At this point in my life Reagan has no bearing in how I live.
Barry on the other hand does. As do future presidents,i'd rather have another Reagan than another Barry thank you very much...

Cafe 80's
Barry is a sorry sack of shit, arrogant fuck ups will not be remembered favorably...

Forum List

Back