If Obama is such a great President, where is the nostalgia?

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Ronald Reagan was such a great President that people were already nostalgic for the '80's even before the 80's were over.

Remember the second "Back to the Future" movie where Marty McFly goes to the year 2015 and walks into a "Cafe '80's" decorated like Miami Vice and there are all sorts of nostalgic memorabilia about 80's cultural icons like Michael Jackson, Ronald Reagan, Ayotollah Khomeni, as Max Headroom. There are '80's video games like Pac-Man and TV shows like Taxi on screens in the wall.

And Steven Spielberg was right. Ever since the '80's, nostalgia for that era continues to be strong. And today, the '80's remain my favorite decade in my life. There was so much hope in the young, like anything we wanted to do was possible. Movies like Working Girl reflected the spirit of young people in the '80's, to go out in the business world and kick some ass and make some money.

But I don't see any nostalgia for the Obama era, which is an era of economic decline, low work participation, and poverty amongst the middle class. Young people today lack hope that things will ever get better for them. And people are not thinking fondly of Obama, and only want to see the backside of him.

Cafe 80's

Ronald Reagan was such a great President that people were already nostalgic for the '80's even before the 80's were over.

Remember the second "Back to the Future" movie where Marty McFly goes to the year 2015 and walks into a "Cafe '80's" decorated like Miami Vice and there are all sorts of nostalgic memorabilia about 80's cultural icons like Michael Jackson, Ronald Reagan, Ayotollah Khomeni, as Max Headroom. There are '80's video games like Pac-Man and TV shows like Taxi on screens in the wall.

And Steven Spielberg was right. Ever since the '80's, nostalgia for that era continues to be strong. And today, the '80's remain my favorite decade in my life. There was so much hope in the young, like anything we wanted to do was possible. Movies like Working Girl reflected the spirit of young people in the '80's, to go out in the business world and kick some ass and make some money.

But I don't see any nostalgia for the Obama era, which is an era of economic decline, low work participation, and poverty amongst the middle class. Young people today lack hope that things will ever get better for them. And people are not thinking fondly of Obama, and only want to see the backside of him.

Cafe 80's
A truly moronic, ridiculous thread premise.

The ‘greatness’ of a president isn’t determined by ‘nostalgia.’

Cafe 80's

Yes, it is. Eisenhower and Reagan can be measured as great by the same yardstick, eight years of peace, prosperity, and relative happiness. That's why people are so nostalgic for the '50's and the '80's and other decades, not so much.

What is there to be nostalgic about with Obama, having a race baiting communist in the WH whose mission it's been to tear down the United States and her allies?
Or to flood the country with illegal immigrants?
Or help the biggest terrorist regime in the world acquire nuclear weapons so they can "wipe Israel off the map"?
The nostalgia will be remembering the euphoria felt when the ghetto president leaves office. That'll be a day to celebrate.

Cafe 80's
Nostalgia is about something that happened in the past. Obama's presidency isn't even over. Besides, it is such a silly measuring stick for assessing the effectiveness of a president's time in office. Presidential historians will rate him based on specific criteria applied to all past presidents. He is likely to score somewhere in the middle. He has not been a bad president. Also, he will likely be remembered fondly for being the first black president, so there will be nostalgia in that sense.

You know...his presidency is almost over: why don't you stop whining about it? Get over it.

Cafe 80's
Nostalgia is about something that happened in the past. Obama's presidency isn't even over. Besides, it is such a silly measuring stick for assessing the effectiveness of a president's time in office. Presidential historians will rate him based on specific criteria applied to all past presidents. He is likely to score somewhere in the middle. He has not been a bad president. Also, he will likely be remembered fondly for being the first black president, so there will be nostalgia in that sense.

You know...his presidency is almost over: why don't you stop whining about it? Get over it.
Rightwing nitwits will continue to whine about Obama for years to come.

The thread premise is also idiotic given the fact that a true, accurate, and objective accounting of a given presidency cannot be made until decades after a president leaves office.

For example, Truman was extremely unpopular during his presidency – a February 1952 Gallup poll had Truman’s job approval rating at just 22 percent; today he’s considered among our greatest presidents.

I remember the last days of the Reagan Presidency, and people were already missing him. We knew George H.W. Bush couldn't fill Reagan's shoes, and that Bush was not a real conservative. And we turned out to be right.

Truman could not figure out how to end the Korean War, so no, he was not a great President.

I remember the last days of the Reagan Presidency, and people were already missing him. We knew George H.W. Bush couldn't fill Reagan's shoes, and that Bush was not a real conservative. And we turned out to be right.
He was not that well liked. This is the problem with your 'nostalgia' measuring stick: it isn't accurate. Millions upon millions loathed him. You are apparently unable to see reality for what it is.

He was not that well liked. This is the problem with your 'nostalgia' measuring stick: it isn't accurate. Millions upon millions loathed him. You are apparently unable to see reality for what it is.
Sure, that's why he won reelection in the biggest electoral landslide in history.

1984_large.png

Correct.

Reagan was a polarizing figure; it was his administration that advanced seeking to divide Americans for some perceived partisan gain, for example.

The Reagan years were mean-spirited and brutish, fostering unwarranted hostility toward minorities and low income Americans, and fomenting the racism and bigotry that finds refuge among the ranks of republicans and conservatives today.

For those of us who actually lived through the Reagan years, who know the truth of what indeed occurred, and the consequences of those years, we harbor no ‘nostalgia’ for Reagan.

Correct.

Reagan was a polarizing figure; it was his administration that advanced seeking to divide Americans for some perceived partisan gain, for example.

The Reagan years were mean-spirited and brutish, fostering unwarranted hostility toward minorities and low income Americans, and fomenting the racism and bigotry that finds refuge among the ranks of republicans and conservatives today.

For those of us who actually lived through the Reagan years, who know the truth of what indeed occurred, and the consequences of those years, we harbor no ‘nostalgia’ for Reagan.
The only hostility during the Reagan era came from the left. Democrat Congressmen openly supported the Soviet Union during arms control talks. Liberals are disgusting and unpatriotic.

Cafe 80's

There isn't much nostalgia for the 1990s either... so what? Reagan didn't make the 1980s.

No one will miss Obama, he is an arrogant, unlikeable jerk.
A biased, partisan judgement, which proves my point: you are unable to see reality for what it is.
How is it you can see reality with your head up your ass?i. Here is reality: under the Obama regime, the GDP last quarter grew at a dismal .05%.

Last edited:

Cafe 80's

But we do have a barometer on what a 'failed' Presidency looks like thanks to Carter and Obama

-Geaux

Cafe 80's

For the last time you mindless maggot.....its called NAFTA....one more time NAFTA,NAFTA, NAFTA,NAFTA, NAFTA, NAFTA,NAFTA,NAFTA,NAFTA, NAFTA,NAFTA,NAFTA,NAFTA,NAFTA,

NO PRESIDENT IN US HISTORY HAS HAD TO DEAL WITH A GLOBAL ECONOMY, NOT ONE, BUT THIS BLACK GUY. ITS NOT HIS FAULT AND YET YOU NUTS CAN'T GRASP THAT DISPITE IT ALL WE HAVE UNEMPLOYMENT AT 5%.

BELIEVE ME, IF WE DIDN'T HAVE YOU NUTS DOMINATING THE NEWS CYCLE 25 HOURS A DAY, EVERY GOTDAMNED DAY, THE WORLD WOULD BE IN AWE OF THIS MAN, JUST AS MANY OF US ARE HERE. YOU HAVEN'T SEEN NOSTALGIA, JUST WAIT UNTIL HE'S GONE AND WHAT YOU GET IN HIS PLACE....THERE WON'T BE A WAKIN MINUTE OF ANY OF YOUR LIVES, THAT YOU WON'T MISS THIS MAN. AND YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

Forum List

Back