CDZ If Kate Smith has to go due to singing songs, why doesn't Major League Baseball have to go?

BFD, ever heard of Aunt Jemima? Bet you've eaten those pancakes or even 'Uncle Ben's Rice?' Yes, you too can be a racist!!!

Actually, don't eat pancakes... too fattening.

Here's the thing. Those big corporations got rid of those racist caricatures. Which is how Aunt G went from being a "Mammy" to a middle class housewife. Imagine that.

View attachment 258779

You know what else you won't see? Those old Tom and Jerry cartoons with "Mammy-Two Shoes".

Some might call this "sanitizing" history in the mold of Orwell's 1984. I think it's a recognition that some things we did in the past are seen as insensitive or mean-spirited today.

So today, we aren't listening to Kate Smith singing a song she didn't write because other songs she sang but didn't write had some truly insensitive and mean-spirited lyrics.

I'm kind of okay with that.
So what do we do?

Condemn everyone who watched those shows or laughed at them?

Society was different then, condemn the society as a whole, not those who were members

I used to love Amos and Andy. I knew they are actors and it was a comedy show as most folks did. The actors themselves enjoyed their roles too. Race baiters killed the re runs. You Tube has a good documentary on the show.
Let’s just say it didn’t age well

Kate Smith is not a racist caricature, she sung songs AGAINST racism.

and Jefferson Davis was fighting for States Rights... my, oh, my the things you guys tell yourselves.

I used to love Amos and Andy. I knew they are actors and it was a comedy show as most folks did. The actors themselves enjoyed their roles too. Race baiters killed the re runs. You Tube has a good documentary on the show.

Um, no, people with a sense of decency killed the reruns.

Again, attitudes change.

I mentioned this before, but whatever happened to the movie "Revenge of the Nerds"? Well, people thought it was funny in the 1980's. Then we realized a movie centered around putting cameras in girl's showers and tricking a girl into sex by wearing a mask was really kind of inappropriate today.

"Revenge Of The Nerds" Was A Nightmare Of Homophobia, Racism, And Sexual Assault

Kate Smith is not a racist caricature, she sung songs AGAINST racism.

and Jefferson Davis was fighting for States Rights... my, oh, my the things you guys tell yourselves.

Um, no, people with a sense of decency killed the reruns.

Again, attitudes change.

I mentioned this before, but whatever happened to the movie "Revenge of the Nerds"? Well, people thought it was funny in the 1980's. Then we realized a movie centered around putting cameras in girl's showers and tricking a girl into sex by wearing a mask was really kind of inappropriate today.

"Revenge Of The Nerds" Was A Nightmare Of Homophobia, Racism, And Sexual Assault
Same with Animal House

Same with Animal House

I think Animal House holds up a little better, and it had the virtue of being a John Belushi film.

You should watch that episode of Amos and Andy I put up. It's hilarious just like the Honeymooners was funny and holds up really well. BTW that was the first black sit com. But apparently you don't like 'people of color' making comedy shows. Animal house was a juvenile romp and does not 'hold up well' to grown up people.

Same with Animal House

I think Animal House holds up a little better, and it had the virtue of being a John Belushi film.

You should watch that episode of Amos and Andy I put up. It's hilarious just like the Honeymooners was funny and holds up really well. BTW that was the first black sit com. But apparently you don't like 'people of color' making comedy shows. Animal house was a juvenile romp and does not 'hold up well' to grown up people.
Minstrel Show

You should watch that episode of Amos and Andy I put up. It's hilarious just like the Honeymooners was funny and holds up really well.

Yeah, if you don't see why Black folks would be offended by that show, I'm not sure there is much to say to you.

"I know, let's put the least offensive episode of 78 to show how not offensive this show was."

But apparently you don't like 'people of color' making comedy shows.

Naw, I don't like white people producing racist comedies to keep black folks "in their place". I have equally strong objections to more modern entries like "Homeboys in Outer Space"

Animal house was a juvenile romp and does not 'hold up well' to grown up people.

You're kidding, right? Belushi, Stephen Furst, John Vernon gave great comedic performances in that film.

OK well...I don't look at it that way and never did. I just thought it was funny.

Check your privilege, buddy. Check your privilege.

You should watch that episode of Amos and Andy I put up. It's hilarious just like the Honeymooners was funny and holds up really well.

Yeah, if you don't see why Black folks would be offended by that show, I'm not sure there is much to say to you.

"I know, let's put the least offensive episode of 78 to show how not offensive this show was."

Naw, I don't like white people producing racist comedies to keep black folks "in their place". I have equally strong objections to more modern entries like "Homeboys in Outer Space"

Animal house was a juvenile romp and does not 'hold up well' to grown up people.

You're kidding, right? Belushi, Stephen Furst, John Vernon gave great comedic performances in that film.

OK well...I don't look at it that way and never did. I just thought it was funny.

Well, shows like the Honeymooners can be seen as offending White folks but no one is calling it 'racist'....That show was clearly depicting silly caricatures of White folks. I just chose one Amos & Andy episode with no thought of content. I watched it AFTER I posted it so your assumption is incorrect. Redd Foxx loved the show as well, in fact, some actors later appeared in 'Sanford and Son.' Alvin Childress (Amos character) didn't think the show was racist because it was the only show (at that time) that depicted Blacks as businessmen, policemen, judges and doctors rather than janitors. In fact, the show helped start more equality for Blacks back then. I don't have anything called 'white privilege' which is nothing but a meme created by racists.

Last edited:
Well, shows like the Honeymooners can be seen as offending White folks but no one is calling it 'racist'....That show was clearly depicting silly caricatures of White folks.

I would say it was portraying the White Working Class as silly... but never mind. The point was, Ralph was one of many characters Jackie Gleason created for his variety show, that one just caught on.

I just chose one Amos & Andy episode with no thought of content. I watched it AFTER I posted it so your assumption is incorrect.

Again, whoever posted it to YouTube picked a less offensive one.

Redd Foxx loved the show as well, in fact, some actors later appeared in 'Sanford and Son.'

Red Foxx really didn't do much to advance the cause with his show. Sanford and Son was barely a step up.

Alvin Childress (Amos character) didn't think the show was racist because it was the only show (at that time) that depicted Blacks as businessmen, policemen, judges and doctors rather than janitors.

As Upton Sinclair once observed, it's hard to get a man to understand a problem if his paycheck is contingent on him not understanding it.

I don't have anything called 'white privilege' which is nothing but a meme created by racists.

Um, yeah, you do. If you are a white man living in this country, you have privilege in terms of access to education, jobs, how law enforcement treats you, and so on.

Well, shows like the Honeymooners can be seen as offending White folks but no one is calling it 'racist'....That show was clearly depicting silly caricatures of White folks.

I would say it was portraying the White Working Class as silly... but never mind. The point was, Ralph was one of many characters Jackie Gleason created for his variety show, that one just caught on.

I just chose one Amos & Andy episode with no thought of content. I watched it AFTER I posted it so your assumption is incorrect.

Redd Foxx loved the show as well, in fact, some actors later appeared in 'Sanford and Son.'

Red Foxx really didn't do much to advance the cause with his show. Sanford and Son was barely a step up.

Alvin Childress (Amos character) didn't think the show was racist because it was the only show (at that time) that depicted Blacks as businessmen, policemen, judges and doctors rather than janitors.

As Upton Sinclair once observed, it's hard to get a man to understand a problem if his paycheck is contingent on him not understanding it.

I don't have anything called 'white privilege' which is nothing but a meme created by racists.

Um, yeah, you do. If you are a white man living in this country, you have privilege in terms of access to education, jobs, how law enforcement treats you, and so on.

Amos and Andy 'Just caught on' as well, why deny them the same opportunity as Gleason? There are many Amos and Andy shows on You Tube not just that one I just randomly picked it. How do you know the motives of who posted it? So, in order to make your point you have to 'dis' another Black sitcom. Sorry, I am not going to accept faux guilt for my skin color. You can flagellate yourself all day long though....Have fun. :whip:As soon as I'm finished whipping your ass. LOL

Amos and Andy 'Just caught on' as well, why deny them the same opportunity as Gleason? There are many Amos and Andy shows on You Tube not just that one I just randomly picked it. How do you know the motives of who posted it? So, in order to make your point you have to 'dis' another Black sitcom. Sorry, I am not going to accept faux guilt for my skin color. You can flagellate yourself all day long though....Have fun. :whip:As soon as I'm finished whipping your ass. LOL
Amos n Andy was just a continuation of Minstrel Show routines

It was the proper way to depict blacks to a white population

Well, shows like the Honeymooners can be seen as offending White folks but no one is calling it 'racist'....That show was clearly depicting silly caricatures of White folks. I just chose one Amos & Andy episode with no thought of content. I watched it AFTER I posted it so your assumption is incorrect. Redd Foxx loved the show as well, in fact, some actors later appeared in 'Sanford and Son.' Alvin Childress (Amos character) didn't think the show was racist because it was the only show (at that time) that depicted Blacks as businessmen, policemen, judges and doctors rather than janitors. In fact, the show helped start more equality for Blacks back then. I don't have anything called 'white privilege' which is nothing but a meme created by racists.
What makes Honeymooners objectionable today is the threats of wife abuse

One of these days Alice....Bang...Zoom!
To the Moon Alice

To the Moon Alice

It was a joke RW....Geesh. Never happened. In fact Alice basically ran things. Did you ever watch the show?

It was the proper way to depict blacks to a white population

No, the 'proper' way (that a minstrel show depicted blacks) would be for white actors to dawn blackface. Never happened in that show, it was categorically NOT anything like a minstrel show.

Meh, not really Leo123, and that's from a sympathetic interested person in blackface. I think it's shameful that all the roles in the 1915 "Birth of a Nation", that were black roles of a controversial racial context, are performed by white men in black face, and then any "side roles" are performed by black people almost wondering onto the set.

Meh, not really Leo123, and that's from a sympathetic interested person in blackface. I think it's shameful that all the roles in the 1915 "Birth of a Nation", that were black roles of a controversial racial context, are performed by white men in black face, and then any "side roles" are performed by black people almost wondering onto the set.

I was talking about Amos and Andy and RW's depiction of it as a minstrel show. Nothing could be further from the truth. You are bringing up a different issue. Frankly I am not for any group including the NAACP to decide what we can see.

ANOTHER funny face!!! So much winning today! :113:

Last edited:
OK sorry. Look I'm not familiar with Amos and Andy. Hail Columbia De Happy O' Land.

To the Moon Alice

It was a joke RW....Geesh. Never happened. In fact Alice basically ran things. Did you ever watch the show?
As you can tell from my Avatar, I am unfamiliar with the show

Forum List

Back